WVHillbilly520H

Cub Cadet Grader

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That's up not too awful far from @Oldskool Mike. 

I'm actually a member of that group on FB. Didnt make it there to race. But I have a mower. 

20200409_162115.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Wasn't going to help that day, it ruined about half the county, including state paved roads.

Been through that a couple times up here. 

8" of rain in a day just can't be drained out of mountain country without significant damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Maine living for the most part if you don't have a hot top / macadam driveway that sees a lot of sun during the day unfortunately that is a common site here. We have mostly a clay type base and our driveway suffers from that same dilemma and to correct that involves some coin for sure. We would love to resurface it but without the help of the suns rays we would never be able to get to the yard or door yard as they say here in Maine even just the slight grade we have to level. Taught Patti years ago to square up at the road, gunnit and back off as you crest the incline, works every time. You could have a nice hockey game here as we speak with the amount of ice on the driveway.

Edited by JCM
  • Like 2

Oldskool
46 minutes ago, JCM said:

Maine living for the most part if you don't have a hot top / macadam driveway that sees a lot of sun during the day unfortunately that is a common site here. We have mostly a clay type base and our driveway suffers from that same dilemma and to correct that involves some coin for sure. We would love to resurface it but without the help of the suns rays we would never be able to get to the yard or door yard as they say here in Maine even just the slight grade we have to level. Taught Patti years ago to square up at the road, gunnit and back off as you crest the incline, works every time. You could have a nice hockey game here as we speak with the amount of ice on the driveway.

I try to keep my driveway iced over as long as I can. As soon as it thaws out its a mud hole. The other half of the yard is only used once things dry out. Good ole Maine dirt.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

MikMacMike
11 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Wasn't going to help that day, it ruined about half the county, including state paved roads.

Im a Plumber steam fitter by trade, and dont I know how much real destruction water can do. Find out how far down that wash out and get yer dirt back before someone else claims it hehehehe, just kidding, its probably made its way out to the Sea already.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, MikMacMike said:

Im a Plumber steam fitter by trade, and dont I know how much real destruction water can do. Find out how far down that wash out and get yer dirt back before someone else claims it hehehehe, just kidding, its probably made its way out to the Sea already.

Here is the 4 tenths of a mile a couple weeks ago... It is a bit of a long video. Plus a couple more from that morning in 2018

IMAG4587.jpg

IMAG4588.jpg

IMAG4574.jpg

IMAG4573.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Handy Don
18 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here you go, I'm pretty sure I have had this leaned up against the garage for over 20 years. Its every bit of a 100# as you see it.

20210227_151853.jpg

Yeah, not a lot of wear on that one. Shows you what you the kind of heft needed when you rub steel against stone and dirt for hours a day for days on end.

I suspect that if it is carbide then trying to cut it would be a pretty frustrating experience without the right tools!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Yeah, not a lot of wear on that one. Shows you what you the kind of heft needed when you rub steel against stone and dirt for hours a day for days on end.

I suspect that if it is carbide then trying to cut it would be a pretty frustrating experience without the right tools!

I doubt is 100% Carbide, but most likely an alloy or impregnation, like coated drill bits or milling end mills, here's another tid bit of info....

https://equipmentblades.com/blogs/blade-news/how-to-choose-the-right-replacement-grader-blade-cutting-edge

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I doubt is 100% Carbide, but most likely an alloy or impregnation, like coated drill bits or milling end mills, here's another tid bit of info....

https://equipmentblades.com/blogs/blade-news/how-to-choose-the-right-replacement-grader-blade-cutting-edge

Sharq was referenced in the Penn State article so I checked them out.  Their blades with the replaceable carbide teeth are a very clever design idea for the right road surfaces and I'm not sure at all that clay and rocks qualifies! 

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Sharq was referenced in the Penn State article so I checked them out.  Their blades with the replaceable carbide teeth are a very clever design idea for the right road surfaces and I'm not sure at all that clay and rocks qualifies! 

The county secondary road to get to my parents, when I grew up was mainly sandstone/sandy dirt with some limestone gravel mixed in up until the mid/late 1990s then they just tear and chip covered it, but still drag the side ditches and use the graders for snow removal, as some of the farther reaching side connector roads are still dirt/stone.

MikMacMike
8 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Here is the 4 tenths of a mile a couple weeks ago... It is a bit of a long video. Plus a couple more from that morning in 2018

IMAG4587.jpg

IMAG4588.jpg

IMAG4574.jpg

IMAG4573.jpg

Wow thanks for the tour, absolutly gorgouse country side, reminds me of everything north of here, and all the wee building on your drive in, absolutly my kind of place brother. I see that damage too dang, it does happen also around here but we are far more rocky so it doesnt wash the thick soil as much. But where ever mother nature strikes she usually gets her way doesnt she! She is one poweriful lady, When I lived up in the provence of Quebec we lived in the foot hills to the very old laurntion mountains, some of the oldest land on earth, almost as old as the oldest in Austrailia, anyways we had a few mountain run off there and it would not only wash houses away the side of a mountain could move great distances. Dam your area really make me wish I was back up north again, may be one day when I retire, hmmmm if I can retire Ill surly make the move, your one lucky boy HillBilly to live where yer at, absolutly gorgouse.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

This could work on the cheap...

Screenshot_20210301-140656.png

Screenshot_20210301-140706.png

Screenshot_20210301-140712.png

Screenshot_20210301-140726.png

Screenshot_20210301-140747.png

Screenshot_20210301-140734.png

Screenshot_20210301-140716.png

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I'm normally a little bit leery about fresh paint on something I'm buying ... that thing looks fantastic. 

If it runs and drives and everything operates fairly decent it's worth at least twice that around here. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm normally a little bit leery about fresh paint on something I'm buying ... that thing looks fantastic. 

If it runs and drives and everything operates fairly decent it's worth at least twice that around here. 

At least you know it moved once since paint by the runs on the tires pointing other than down, more is better right? :text-lol:... It would be the "perfect" size for our driveway in WV though, I'm sure $2500 of even less could bring home, and in the grand scheme of things not that bad a price, FIL sold his 2010 JD dozer with 6 way blade and rippers for $2500 a few years ago 70% undercarriage ran but head gasket(s) may have been bad and a steering clutch that worked when it wanted too, I just didn't have the ambition to work on it.

client_PART_1485022742327_IMAG1448.jpg

client_PART_1485022742734_IMAG1449.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton

• Like 2