CB520HC

1988 520HC

CB520HC

good morning all red square folks ive been poking around this forum for about 8 months now and it has been a huge help in getting my c-175 auto swapped to a k341 but this question pertains to my 88' 520 hc it is currently wearing the plow and couple nights ago I was cleaning up neighbors driveway parked the tractor and next day I went to go move it and it would not crank with the key. But it did start when I jumped the frame mounted relay. i removed the relay and took it inside over night to see if maybe it had frozen internally but this did not change anything. I went through and checked all my fuses and swapped for new just to be sure they were not the issue. I am starting to think that I have a safety switch that went bad but am not sure which one affects this condition was wondering if anyone had a link to a desympton guide for this model or was unsure if it was identical to the 520h? any input or info on this would be amazing and I'm hoping that I'm following guidelines. Thank you in advance

starter 1.jpg

starter 2.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

JoeM

May or may not be it but wiggle the PTO handle, I seen that one stump seasoned WH repair guys.!

And if you have a 12v test light see if you are getting power to the solenoid, at the control terminal with the key in the start position. That will tell you which way to go.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Some color added to this one

CB520HC

okay i will give this a look and go from there ill let you guys know what i find thank you for the quick responses

• Like 1

Kevinm

Check the harness plug connector which is under the battery. They are notorious for creating electrical gremlins. I cleaned mine with electronics parts cleaner.

CB520HC

okay so I finally got a chance to dig into this a little further I removed the switches individually and depressed them to see if the key would cycle the starter and turns out the neutral safety switch is wore out only works when depressed by hand all connections were cleaned with electrical cleaner and then dielectric grease was applied to all connections. for now i put a jump harness in as i am the only one to operate the machine but will be replacing the switch with a new one in about a month when it wears the 60" mower deck again. thank you all for the quick responses and the very helpful information hopefully this post finds someone else who is in need of help.

seuadr

Well done!