DennisThornton

Different track setup.

Oldskool
57 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I've not watched all of the vids of this build but I'm impressed with what I've seen.  He pulled at a show and practically buried all the tires in a muddy pond besides these vids.  I'm leaning towards using the same 12" wheels but he has got a bit larger still.  I'm not promoting the idea, but what about even larger tires/wheels in the rear?  Seems the more cleats/bars on the ground under pressure the better.  At any given moment the most I see is two for the 12" and 2-3 for the larger rears.  More cleats the better.  He has room for an idler/bogie but I'd rather keep the overall length to a minimum and loose that room.  I don't think it is helping much as is.  Overall I'm impressed!

What are your concerns regarding snow? Especially if the unsupported by the tires track is kept to a minimum?  More flotation with solid track?  Not sure how much that helps without a tire or idler to press down.

Yes thinking more flotation. I also kind of wonder if that track style was just wrapped around a set of duals, much like chains would be. At that point is there enough traction to negate tracks?

DennisThornton

image.png.56fed5d0c902e7f1a3f659ecf88242d4.png

Oldskool
14 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Pretty serious all steel tracks!  More than I'd want for this expected build but maybe some ideas to borrow.

There's you added weight for more traction right there

• Like 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Yes thinking more flotation. I also kind of wonder if that track style was just wrapped around a set of duals, much like chains would be. At that point is there enough traction to negate tracks?

I think it all adds up, but I also think some are nickels and some quarters.  I can't always tell which!

I think that more tires the more means of having more traction devices, tread, cleats, chains or studs.  Bigger tires, more tires, more cleats, more weight = more traction.

Oldskool
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I think it all adds up, but I also think some are nickels and some quarters.  I can't always tell which!

I think that more tires the more means of having more traction devices, tread, cleats, chains or studs.  Bigger tires, more tires, more cleats, more weight = more traction.

True enough. I guess there is probably an application for every situation.

• Like 2

Oldskool

More food for thought.

20210214_070628.jpg

20210214_070608.jpg

Screenshot_20210214-070502_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Oldskool

DennisThornton

"Food for thought!"?  Way to much to eat already!:ROTF:

It's an idea and I'm guessing there are many more options in sizes and strengths to consider.  If this project went with sprockets then YES!  But I'm thinking sprockets and chains aren't necessary, at all.

For now I'm still leaning towards heavy chain and rebar, but I'm still exploring that too.  Rebar is reasonably priced, pretty durable, different sizes, bendable, weldable and could be two side by side, three in a triangle or?  Could be welded onto flat plate or other bars.  Heck, could bend it into rings!  V-bars!  The ultimate material!  :roll:

I'm leaning away from more floatation from the tread and more towards asking the treads for traction and asking the 4 tires to provide the floatation.  Could be wrong!  Not saying that floatation is bad but I think it could receive too much attention and isn't of primary importance in most snow and mud.  Water, lots of light fluffy and liquid bottomless mud yes, but I'm not sure this project is up to that or needs to be.  I now see tires and tracks as a media to carry traction devices, lugs, cleats, chains or...  BUT, if more flotation can be had without major cost or compromises then sure!  My projects tend to be driven by what I have on hand or what is readily available and/or affordable.  But right now I don't have what I'd want for any track design other than some #4 rebar and used tires. 

If floatation is the goal I think cut off tire treads could be easily and reliably laced together offering almost free treads of any length and more than wide enough.  I don't think we are limited to just BIG tires to cut one continuous tread.

• Like 1

giddyap
On 2/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, DennisThornton said:

pull the front wheels and replace with skis.  If it steers well then there's hope.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, giddyap said:

I was hoping you'd Post in here.

Did you ever get to try that in deeper snow?

Curious to know what you think about having something with front skis like that and half tracks for working winter use. 

giddyap

The front loop continues along the flat bottom of the ski as an edge to dig in. Rigid plate caster yokes item 1-3303 from the Surplus Center catolog $1.49 were used to gain height. Good with half track IMO

DSC03646.JPG.ba84e67da6381803873bcf3221f00efe.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, giddyap said:

The front loop continues along the flat bottom of the ski as an edge to dig in. Rigid plate caster yokes item 1-3303 from the Surplus Center catolog $1.49 were used to gain height. Good with half track IMO

DSC03646.JPG.ba84e67da6381803873bcf3221f00efe.JPG

You figure there's a snow depth limit?

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You figure there's a snow depth limit?

Looks like it steers fairly well in that amount of snow

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

Looks like it steers fairly well in that amount of snow

Very much agreed.

I have absolutely zero experience on a snowmobile of any kind.

What I'm wondering is the propensity for the front end of a snowmobile which in turn would be on a tractor to sink into the snow.

Best example I can give would be snowshoes for your feet. I have giant snowshoes and Trina has very small ones because we're vastly different in size.

So in turn, would the skis need to be a certain length and width in order to be able to navigate snow that is several inches or even two or three feet deep without sinking in?

Oldskool
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Very much agreed.

I have absolutely zero experience on a snowmobile of any kind.

What I'm wondering is the propensity for the front end of a snowmobile which in turn would be on a tractor to sink into the snow.

Best example I can give would be snowshoes for your feet. I have giant snowshoes and Trina has very small ones because we're vastly different in size.

So in turn, would the skis need to be a certain length and width in order to be able to navigate snow that is several inches or even two or three feet deep without sinking in?

As the years went on for the snowmobile alot changed. The older sleds had narrower skis but they weren't very good in DEEP snow neither were there tracks or suspension style.( not alot of clearance). Now with newer, higher suspension. Better tracks, the skies are almost twice as wide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slim67
3 hours ago, giddyap said:

very creative 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

giddyap

I could'nt do any tractor chores with skis, so I built a wheel standing Wheel Horse and still it's useless, except for having fun. :) 

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, giddyap said:

I could'nt do any tractor chores with skis, so I built a wheel standing Wheel Horse and still it's useless, except for having fun. :) 

I saw a BIG smile!

ACman

Denies this setup on my track chair is a very simple design using snowmobile bogie wheels and tracks from a walk behind loader/trencher . Could be easily converted to driving with a axle . This is driving with a pair of 24v motors and two big gel deep cycle batteries with onboard marine charger . It’s goes about 5mph , has a range of 5-8miles and would climb a tree if it could. Someone does make a blade for it . I really want to do a track setup under my A-81 based on this setup but moving the drive the back . I’ve climbed sand dunes, been in 2’ of water and drove over big logs . It has little ground clearance but it doesn’t seem to matter . 

9839EC93-F515-47B6-9A6C-AC99A7E9C769.jpeg.17d64eb31587e390caf985ca1d4a0591.jpegDB3C6B74-C2C4-4F52-8737-A9CDAA61CA33.jpeg.2f64a003e1afc1d07af3d8a2b989e5cc.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Excellent 3

Oldskool
7 hours ago, ACman said:

Denies this setup on my track chair is a very simple design using snowmobile bogie wheels and tracks from a walk behind loader/trencher . Could be easily converted to driving with a axle . This is driving with a pair of 24v motors and two big gel deep cycle batteries with onboard marine charger . It’s goes about 5mph , has a range of 5-8miles and would climb a tree if it could. Someone does make a blade for it . I really want to do a track setup under my A-81 based on this setup but moving the drive the back . I’ve climbed sand dunes, been in 2’ of water and drove over big logs . It has little ground clearance but it doesn’t seem to matter . 

9839EC93-F515-47B6-9A6C-AC99A7E9C769.jpeg.17d64eb31587e390caf985ca1d4a0591.jpegDB3C6B74-C2C4-4F52-8737-A9CDAA61CA33.jpeg.2f64a003e1afc1d07af3d8a2b989e5cc.jpeg

That is an AWESOME rig. How long does it take to charge? Is that a track tensioner at the bottom/side of the seat?

• Like 1

ACman
4 hours ago, Oldskool said:

That is an AWESOME rig. How long does it take to charge? Is that a track tensioner at the bottom/side of the seat?

Charging I really don’t know because it’s plugged in whenever possible. I do however will cycle the battery running it down then plugging it in overnight . The tensioner is on the front wheel . That spring just keeps forward pressure on the armrest to keep it from rattling. If you push back on the armrest there’s a quick pin you pull and the whole thing folds down to help with transfers. 

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

@DennisThornton I think someone is thinking like you...

Screenshot_20210220-203859.png

• Excellent 1

DennisThornton
42 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@DennisThornton I think someone is thinking like you...

Screenshot_20210220-203859.png

That certainly is one of my favorite designs.  I have a set of ARPS for old Fords and Fergs. 

I'd like to see a design that is more within folks budgets of time and money though with way less alterations, maybe even a quick on and off.

But I do like this one!  Got more info, pics or links?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That certainly is one of my favorite designs.  I have a set of ARPS for old Fords and Fergs. 

I'd like to see a design that is more within folks budgets of time and money though with way less alterations, maybe even a quick on and off.

But I do like this one!  Got more info, pics or links?

Fella on FB just starting this.

• Like 1