DCwom

Olde to the old horses

DCwom

My dad had Wheel Horses as long as I can remember, as a kid we would "drive" around the yard with them while he walked next to us. I remember getting one stuck while plowing snow as a "light" kid, and using one for pulling logs from the back woods for firewood. Now many horses later I have to clean out the estate, he had two-ish tractors, as in 2 units pieced together from parts of other tractors as well a couple of plows and a snow blower. He used them up, and wore them out so there is little hope in restoring them, the mower decks were shot and he mainly pulled around a cart and graded the driveway with the last running unit all while riding side-saddle in his late 80s. He was always charging the batteries because he couldn't get the alternators to work anymore, it kept him busy. I figured they would go to scrap with the rest of the metal he has around the yard.

• Like 6
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the olde stories. My Grampa did the same sidesaddle drive. 

There's very likely someone who would come get em instead of scrapping. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

lynnmor

Good information, maybe I need to install swivel seats while I am still able.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

If I lived closer, i would be happy to come and get them. Maybe someone over that way could do the same. Put them on the for sale page for free or a modest amount and see what happens.  A lot of us hate to see anything get scrapped, and with so many interchangeable parts, There are useful parts on your father's tractors that can live on and be appreciated by someone. Anyway, you made me smile as i remember how my dad had to rig stuff up around the farm. If all you want is a run and drive tractor, a 99 dollar harbor freight engine will mount up and run the transmission, but a mower works best with a heavy bearing Kohler..You can look at the members map and see that there are guys in your area.

I recently got a C-160 that was a dad's tractor and the son futzed around with it for two years and no start, This guy was building hot Chevys and the tractor confused him so it went for a song.  Anyway, the trouble with the charging system  was just a bad connector that looked good, so I did a complete simplified wiring system and she goes like a champ.  I took the time to text him back and explain how his dad's tractor  was now a worker and how happy it made me to keep it going..

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Achto

:WRS:

Like stated above list them in our classifieds and see if some one can make them live on or use parts to make another tractor live.

Many people do wonderful things with "junk" tractors. Just for an example, I turned this tractor.  

DSCN1407.jpg.fab2aea0ee8906c4ad81c1e8eac0d3db.jpg

Into this beast of a machine.

DSCN2644-min.JPG.e2ff82a39a2dcac8457911e121e277d1.JPG

• Like 6
  • Heart 3

Retired Wrencher

DC Walk around and look and see if there is a small piece of your dad`s that you can keep as a memory of him from  the tractors. Or Photo it. Enjoy the day.

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:  @DCwom    Just as others have already mentioned, post what you have in our classified section with a few pictures.  I'm almost positive you'll get replies to your ad.  Parts are always wanted, and as Dan has said, there are some that can do wonders with just the bones of these tractors.  Please don't just scrap it until you know if someone can use most of what you have.  If'n I was closer, I've been known to pick up let's just say non-running tractors.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Sorry for the loss of your father but glad his love of :wh: brought you to us. If you have a picture or two of the wheel horse we would love to see them. Vintage pictures are fun to share.

Please click on this link and offer the tractor to someone, the classified listing is free.   https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/for-sale/?do=form&d=2

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 4

DCwom

I got some pictures of the tractors yesterday, looks like they are a Raider 12 & a 1054, note the spring clip mounted on the hood of the Raider, where my dad would keep his cane. I will say they were more "together" than I remember, the hoods were usually open and I think I was confusing these more recent units with older units that were stripped for parts. The 1054 is on a floor jack because the transmission is seized/locked up, and the lift arm & PTO have been removed, this must have been his puller unit for the cart.

20210130_135857.jpg.e343a91bc7d976056dd1a31e33b98597.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, DCwom said:

Raider 12 & a 1054

Both great tractors!

If they're available I'm quite sure someone would be interested in picking them up. 

953 nut
19 hours ago, DCwom said:

note the spring clip mounted on the hood of the Raider, where my dad would keep his cane.

:text-yeahthat:              good idea, I may have to do that myself.

19 hours ago, DCwom said:

Raider 12 & a 1054,

Looking at the photo they both may need a bit of work but are far from being scrap metal. Please post a classified ad  https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/for-sale/?do=form&d=2  and offer them at a reasonable price to someone who will bring them back to life.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

I met with @DCwom this morning and he is a fine Gentleman.  I looked over both the 1054 and the Raider 12.

The Raider appeared to be the more comp!ete machine, as DC said, some parts have been removed from the 1054.

I texted with him later in the day and he indicated that rooting around in the shop he found some pulleys and parts so the missing bits for the 1054 may be among those parts

His sis-in-law stated that he was mistaken about the trans being locked up, it was apparently operator error, long story, but they probably had it in gear and didn't realize it.

Bottom line is that both machines are good candidates for restoration.

There were also two plows.  It appeared that both frames have been modified and I didn't see the angle handles anywhere.  The blades themselves were buried in snow and leaves so can't comment on the blade condition oter than they are rusted.

AND... There's a mid-mount belly blade that looked to be in pretty good shape but not being  familiar with them I don't know if all the parts are present.

I might be going back to pick up some concrete block next weekend, if there's anything anyone interested in acquiring either machine would like me to look at let me know and I'll do my best.

Mr. Wom it was my pleasure meeting you, and thank you for your generosity!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

DCwom

So I finally got around to charging batteries and tried to see if these old horses start, no luck. The raider 12 dash board is unreadable, but I assumed the big black rocker switch was on/off and the push button was start, but I didn't know if left or right was on/off. To find out I looked up a picture of a Raider 12 and the rocker switch is for the lights! I think my dad might have removed the key switch and put in a push button, so now I'm not sure what is going on. I'm not at the same location as the Raider at the moment, so I can't see if he wired another switch elsewhere, I assume you need a on/off switch to kill the electrical and shut off the engine.

As for the 1054, the battery wouldn't hold a charge, has a flat and no seat, so I'd like to get the Raider running first.

20210130_140055.jpg.fa950b768bda61c42acef474937ee8da.jpg20210130_140102.jpg.eb7c5aeaf8212aea027746f9f3a45f04.jpg

20210130_140102.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Best case scenario would be to remove the existing wiring and start over. 

If you have familiarity with a dvom you could do some detective work using the factory schematic and figure out what has been done/modified. 

A bit time consuming but easy enough. 

• Like 1