littleredrider

D-250

Tractorhead

Read few items in the Gutbrod Forum about the Gearbox.

That Gearbox in bearings seems a sensitive issue to have an eye on it.

the reason is the Snaildrive on the Shaft is made of bronze.

Worn Bearings kills rapidly the Snaildrive, so they recommend urgently to change it

or better improve it with inclines roller Bearings.

http://gutbrodhilfe.forumprofi.de/t648f17-Gutbrod-Getriebeprobleme.html

• Excellent 1

littleredrider

How many of the 4wd's are out there? I'd love to have the parts to make a 4wd one, I need it lol.

littleredrider

I figured out what gears n stuff to make one a 4wd. Issue without having the tractor here, or any parts for compare, is a front axle. Need a small one, so being center mounted it won't lift it sky hi, and somewhat easy to find in a junkyard. Also able to get gears without costing my first born. But for a front axle, I think a Dana 30 from Jeep Cherokee would work. Last time I was at the junkyard was almost tripping over them. Would need 4.10s with 18" tires, so shouldn't be too bad to find. Rear axle could be anything. I'm thinking a 9", still readily available, easy to narrow, and selectable lockers sorta cheap and easy. Transfer case is sorta simple, but finding one be tough. Suzuki Samurai's use a divorced style, are small, and can get different gear sets to change the low range. There is a site than can figure what gears, tire size, trans and transfer case ratios, just a matter of punching the numbers in. I figured 10 miles n hour should be fast enough, using that and tire size as a starting point, came up with 28" rear tires need 5.13 gears, 18" front tires with 4.10s, that puts it just about 10mph. The biggest issue would be the transmission. Dunno if any trans would bolt up to the Renault, or if any other motor/trans combo's would be small enough to fit between the rails of the 250. Being this cold, garage not done, and too much time on my hands is getting me in trouble. No money doesn't help either....

WVHillbilly520H
19 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

I figured out what gears n stuff to make one a 4wd. Issue without having the tractor here, or any parts for compare, is a front axle. Need a small one, so being center mounted it won't lift it sky hi, and somewhat easy to find in a junkyard. Also able to get gears without costing my first born. But for a front axle, I think a Dana 30 from Jeep Cherokee would work. Last time I was at the junkyard was almost tripping over them. Would need 4.10s with 18" tires, so shouldn't be too bad to find. Rear axle could be anything. I'm thinking a 9", still readily available, easy to narrow, and selectable lockers sorta cheap and easy. Transfer case is sorta simple, but finding one be tough. Suzuki Samurai's use a divorced style, are small, and can get different gear sets to change the low range. There is a site than can figure what gears, tire size, trans and transfer case ratios, just a matter of punching the numbers in. I figured 10 miles n hour should be fast enough, using that and tire size as a starting point, came up with 28" rear tires need 5.13 gears, 18" front tires with 4.10s, that puts it just about 10mph. The biggest issue would be the transmission. Dunno if any trans would bolt up to the Renault, or if any other motor/trans combo's would be small enough to fit between the rails of the 250. Being this cold, garage not done, and too much time on my hands is getting me in trouble. No money doesn't help either....

Why not use a complete Suzuki Samurai running gear, the Jap axles are very close to Ford 9" design so easy to narrow, and there is big aftermarket for gears/lockers as well.?? As for the center front pivot on the front axle that would be making the mounting plates and welding them to the axle tube maybe gusseting to the diff and "track rods" from the outer ends triangulated back the center under the dash tower kind of like an Allis Chalmers B ? Oh yeah we can bench/'net fab this up.

Screenshot_20210131-100226.png

Screenshot_20210131-100303.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

littleredrider

I prolly could use the axles, but not having the motor from the 250 and the Sammi it's hard to compare. What annoys the crap outta me, is I had ALL this stuff bout 4 years ago. I had a tin top Sammi bought from a buddy, got stupid and found all these cools parts. I had 2 sets of 5.13s, rear had a spool but could have replaced that, the stock t-case and got a smoking deal on another one with 6.14 IIRC low range kit in it, along with front axle disconnect. Weird things bout Sammi's, when the t-case is in neutral, the front shaft still spins. I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but with tire size, gearing, trans ratio, I'd need a t-case with 5-1 to get the 10mph. Problem is finding Sammi's, they have gotten STUPID with pricing. Even junk ones. 

Narrowing these axles would be simple. Can use stock shafts and have welded to whatever length. Even as lite as the sammi is, or the torque of the tractor, seriously doubt the weld would break on the axle. I've heard of guys with full size trucks narrowing or just welding a Dana 60 front axle without breaking. That's an 1.5" I think shaft?? Been awhile since I messed with one lol. 

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Maybe an Suzuki LJ Gearset?

A Friends Sohn built himself several Vehicles for hardcore Offroad.

By the size this 4 cyl. gas Engine could maybe fit.

littleredrider

i think the LJ is early version or in our case this side o' the pond an import. Again, very hard to find. I searched on marketplace, found a guy that had a set of sammi axles and a t-case, but it's been up for awhile. I did find a couple complete ones, but dunno still pricey and even tho the motor is small, still think be too big for the D. Not inless someone has a D motor to take some measurements lol....

littleredrider

The axle/t-case still available!! Also played with the numbers, stock sammi axles have 3.73s, so could leave the front the way it is, and would have to change the rear to 5.38s, dunno how this worked out over the 5.13s/4.10s, but it does lol...

Plus got looking at the pics of the Gutbrod that Tractorhead linked, and if I would to take the stock tractor's axle, I think I'd have more than enough room to put a regular trans with a t-case, say from the sammi, or if I can find something from something else comparable in size. 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

No real pics of the comparable engines...but some quick specs...

Screenshot_20210131-110729.png

Screenshot_20210131-111009.png

Screenshot_20210131-111508.png

Tractorhead

I‘m not 100% sure, but i believe this Engine was also beeing used in the basic Renault R5.

but they are also hard to find today and if so, they be mostly Historic Vehicles.

The most Parts for the R5 you can Find here are primary parts for the R5 Turbo Alpine,

a blown big bro of the Basic R5.

It was a Blast in the early 90ies and win’s lot‘s of Rally prices.

At the first time out of any comparsion until Audi 4WD hit‘s the Scene.

Here in Europe the R5 Turbo Alpine is still a legend.

Definitely not everybody‘s darling, but still a well known Racing legend.

littleredrider

Must be thinking of the Kei trucks, they are 660cc motors, thought the sammi's were.  Can't find any of those either lol, other than complete trucks, which I'd LOVE to have lol

• Haha 1

littleredrider

Been playing with some numbers. If I use the old school GM truck trans, SM-420, it has a 7:1 first gear. I found a "brownie box" auxiliary 3-speed trans with 2.14 underdrive, direct then .83 overdrive. If I get the crawler gear set for the sammi t-case that has 6.14 low range, combined with the 5.38s and 26" tall tires, in the lowest gears, speed at 750 RPM would be .11 mph, 10 feet per minute. Think that would be enough lol...

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, littleredrider said:

Been playing with some numbers. If I use the old school GM truck trans, SM-420, it has a 7:1 first gear. I found a "brownie box" auxiliary 3-speed trans with 2.14 underdrive, direct then .83 overdrive. If I get the crawler gear set for the sammi t-case that has 6.14 low range, combined with the 5.38s and 26" tall tires, in the lowest gears, speed at 750 RPM would be .11 mph, 10 feet per minute. Think that would be enough lol...

This reminded me that my dad built a tractor out of a Crosley car. He used two transmissions in tandem and a truck rear-end.  It did ok. Ugly as all get out, but it pulled the plow, harrow, and farm trailer just fine. How I learned to drive.

littleredrider

The neighbor next to my mothers has something similar. It has a truck 3-speed, truck rear and tires, and I think a briggs 8 horse. Been a while since I've seen it, but it will pull pretty good, and in higher gear move pretty good!!!! Even with the crazy gearing, that is in low range, so if ever needed to go faster, just pop it into hi range. Not having the tractor yet is killing me lol, wanna see if this is even possible...

littleredrider

Can’t convert it to 4wd, would pretty much need everything. Guess motor spins opposite direction or the trans does. Figured it wouldn’t be easy or someone here would have tried it. So I’ll try to be the first then.