Sign in to follow this  
rallysman

K301 ticking-is it normal?

rallysman

First of all, thanks to all of you guys for offering so much help and advice. This is really a great forum!

I've been working on my C-120 and finally got it running. It was sitting for 9 years prior to me messing with it. I've changed the oil, re-wired, and replaced the starter on the engine. Now when I start it it has a ticking noise. Is this normal? Here is a video of the horse. It sounds better if you click the HD button. Thanks in advance!

JimD

valves need adjusted? i'm no expert by any means, but there are some guys like, uh, let's say, TT, who will know what's wrong and just what to do about it. hopefully, he or one of the other pro's will see this and help you out. i'm interested to know to, as i have one that makes a little noise, but not like yours. good luck!

rallysman

It sounds louder in the video than it actually is, but at idle speed the noise is obvious. hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Suburban 550

I'm no expert either, but I have to agree with Jim it does sound like the valves. They are some great people here who should be able to diagnose it for you.

rallysman

Could the fact that it sat for 9 years have anything to do with it? It has ran less than 5 minutes on the oil change. Perhaps it'll work out as it runs more?

gwgdog66

My 30 year old K341 did that at idle. The lower exhaust valve spring retainer was loose. I replaced both lower retainers and adjusted the valves, and that solved the problem.

DrabHorse

When I first saw this post I thinking, I bet thats the same sound my k341 is making. At the time I didn't have my speakers hooked up, but I just now watched the video and yes that does sound the same as mine. I haven't been running that engine (which is new to me, don't know the history on it) because of that, I didn't want anything coming apart causing more damage, plus it needs some other work anyway.

Coadster32

Don't think I'd run it either. Rip it apart!!

bitten

No expert here eather, but I would go along with the rest and say the valves need adjusted. Get the Kolher manuale from there web site and have at it.

Good Luck,

P.J.

WheelHorse_of_course

I agree that the first step is to check the valve adjustments.

I think you need to fix whatever it is before you work it.

Mine K301 makes a VERY slight ticking at low RPM, but not at speed. This I have been told is typical. But I think yours is a lot worse.

:thumbs2:

rallysman

It sounds way worse in the video than it does in real life. Once I speed it up even a little it goes away.

This engine isn't a pressure lubrication engine is it?

WheelHorse_of_course

Splash lube

rallysman

I thought that was the case. I'll dig into it as soon as I get a chance:)

Thanks for the help!