23 Reo

Something Different

23 Reo

I have only owned Wheel Horse tractors. My 68 Charger 12, 72 Raider 14 and 84 C-165 do everything that I need. I also have a 69 Raider 12 in reserve. I am thinking about buying something different. I am looking at Bolens. Does any one have any experience with Bolens tractors. Should I focus on large frame, medium frame or tube frame? Any help would be appreciated.

WHX??

@Achto says everyone should have the oddball in their herd. For me it's a vintage Amigo but wouldn't beyond having a nice older Bolens, make it a '58 220 Ride o Matic if you please, :) or older Case. 

What would be your use for it? 

Nice selection to choose from...

TractorData.com - Bolens lawn tractors sorted by model

Edited by WHX24

Achto
1 hour ago, 23 Reo said:

Should I focus on large frame, medium frame or tube frame?

I think tube frames had the longest run & would be easier to find attachments for. If you go for a brown frame / white hood one at least you will still have RED rims.:)

ccs-8-132894118308_thumb.jpg.4b936e87a958e2f8f35c735c9fa7f94b.jpg

Bolens and Simplicity were both made in Port Washington WI

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepney

I .. played the Bolens game. Had several. I won't speak (too) poorly of them since there are a few here.. but the question was asked.

IMO. Get a classic narrow frame Cub Cadet, if you want an awkward machine that's a bit of an orphan in old age.

The Tubes suffer from bronze final drive failures, parts are a little scarce and expensive, and are a bugger to work on. 

The Large Frame wasn't so bad but .. really won't accomplish much more than a Tube would, and implements are scarce.

A Tube/Large IMO is more of a hobby tractor than a workable piece these days. I still service a few but their days are coming to an end. We had a few for some years, as well.

If you want a cool classic, a Ride-A-Matic is a fun yard toy. Like most early machines they are prone to odd issues, but the variable drive is fun. I had a 1959 and a 1960. 

An under-rated machine, IMO, is the old 1963 Jacobsen Chief. I had one and loved it. Good looks, pretty capable.

But if you want durability and somewhat unique, a Cub 100/70 round fender is hard to beat. The Kohler will always be easy to keep running and get any piece imaginable. Good luck with the big Teccy or the Wisconsin that generally came in an FMC..

The rear end is that of a Farmall Cub. They're stout. Fairly well thought out. Can adapt for later, better implements. The Bolens Tube was OK by late 50s standards.. but they pale in comparison to a IH/WH. 

Just my opinion. 

There's always the classic Bush Hog, or the older model Sears Suburbans.

Shaw, Speedex, Case, Economy. All can still be obtained reasonably with some patients. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 2

WHNJ701

Just my 2 cents if your going with a ride a matic, parts are not easy to find and are getting expensive

• Like 1

23 Reo

I would definitely want something that I can work, plow snow,mow and pull .

Stepney

Sounds to me like you need an old Cub..

Theres something of a reason why you dont see the Bolens out mowing a yard like you do a WH. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I was mentioned but I'm sure there is much more info from others than me regarding Bolens.  Just a few weeks ago I bought my first Bolens, a decent 1050 and I'd be happy to share what I know so far.

Tube frames seem to be more common, but I'm having trouble finding attachments, though I find that common around here for the WH, Sears/Ropers, Cubs and Power Kings that I own.  My 1050 impresses me with a usually start the first turn over Wisconsin.  (NO safety switches, mixed emotions since it will start in gear almost immediately!)  Simple, accessible for service, adjustable posi-traction, front, mid and rear gear pto, but those are belt driven BUT with twin belts!  Heavy attachment mounts to rugged cast iron front axle and frame mount and heavy cast iron rear axle.  So far, very durable!  But little of that matters without attachments!  I have a very rugged 42" shaft drive deck that I don't need and so far a tough 42" tall dozer blade.  I have a special use for going through a narrow gate!  Overall I like it a lot and I'm please to own it.  I do read that the rear needs free play adjusted and that the posi is only to be used when needed, both of those make me wonder if the bronze gear is an issue do to the operator.  I don't know...  So far it's a great machine!  But it's not a Wheel Horse.  I have no idea why Bolens didn't extend the rear seat pan to cover more of the rear tires.  While the blade adjustment works it does so with rudimentary ropes, unlike the far more sophisticated WH arrangement.  WH wins in that match for sure!  Unfortunately that's all the experience I have with Bolens.  

But I'll share something else before you branch out.

Wheel Horse is by no means the only garden tractor worth owning!  But I really do think it is the best place to start and if you never owned another life could still be good.  Great machines, lots of parts interchange through the years, many attachments, and it really seems like they put some thought into not only selling them, but also usability and serviceability.  I have more WHs and attachments than any other brand but that is influenced by what's available in my area.  My list of tractors I own is outdated.  I have another XIs, a 147 Cub and more Sears than listed.  In this area I'd suggest Sears/Ropers after WHs.  Been around forever and there are some attachments still available.  From what I've seen and read it's hard to beat the narrow frame Cubs!  But that doesn't matter if you can't find any!  And without attachments, there's only so much a yard tractor can do.

I have a running all the time Craigslist search for tractors.   Brands on my "I don't own one yet but would like to" hit list include Ariens, CASE, Deere, FORD/Jacobson, Gilson, Gravely, and I'd like more Simplicitys.  

Tractors are neat, but need attachments to do lot of the work and if you are searching for used then what's available is KEY!  I'd suggest searching with a very open mind and seeing what is out there.  I try to be a bit daring and the more brands I own the more attachments I might find.

I'm frugal and yet over the years I've found several decent garden tractors but I still lust for the ones I don't...

• Like 4

DennisThornton

I've mentioned this a few times, but here I go again if my last post didn't make the point well enough.  The more tractor brands you own the more likely an attachment you find will fit what you have.  I do NOT like swapping attachments!  I want a snow plow, a snow blower, a tiller, a dirt plow and on and on already attached to a power unit.  I don't care if there's different brands if the combo works well for what I want.

I wrote this and then read it after posting and felt that for new members or those who don't me I should further explain.

I'm frugal!  I could never afford to go buy new tractors and new attachments for all my wants and needs!  But I have found bargains and now more so in my later years, I find I can afford an occasional tractor with attachment for $200!  They don't show up everyday and NEVER when I want or need them but they DO show up!  I sort of know how to fix things and I'm willing to risk a little bit and I've been lucky.  Even so when I started gathering tractors I really couldn't afford much so I understand and remember barely affording gas to run them!

But with time, patience and help from groups like this...

Edited by DennisThornton
See post
  • Like 4

23 Reo
On 1/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, jabelman said:

If Bolens is going to be fussy I will look at something else.  I don't think JD is for me. Many of them steer like my worn out twin I beam Ford I drove in the 80s.

I may look at a Cub Cadet 124.Thank you for all your help. Dave

• Like 1

DennisThornton
54 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

If Bolens is going to be fussy I will look at something else.  I don't think JD is for me. Many of them steer like my worn out twin I beam Ford I drove in the 80s.

I may look at a Cub Cadet 124.Thank you for all your help. Dave

As I mentioned, there's still a lot of tractors I'd like to have but I just don't see them!  It doesn't matter what I want if they aren't available and what's available depends on the history of the area you are in.  I suppose because Sears was everywhere that they sold them everywhere.  I'm in the middle of nowhere but not too far there WERE two Wheel Horse dealers.  I suppose if I was willing to drive a day or two I could open up my searches, but I'm not.

If you can wait a bit I'd recommend just searching.  If your needs are now AND if you found a known good model WITH most of the attachments/implements you need AND the price was close to reasonable AND not too far to drive...  Then you should buy stocks and lottery tickets too!

Good luck and holler if you need something!

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Each brand has its own set of faults and advantages, then factor in your user preferences and mechanical ability.  Then factor in your budget

• Excellent 1

23 Reo

I have time to search, My Wheel Horses all run strong and do what I need. I am looking for a tractor to work but also for fun, learning to work on something different.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
31 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

I have time to search, My Wheel Horses all run strong and do what I need. I am looking for a tractor to work but also for fun, learning to work on something different.

Look into the case/ingersoll garden tractors 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I'd still love to find a CASE 4XX with some attachments.  I would have bought one not long ago but had NO attachments and a homemade hood.  Too hard to find parts and attachments in this area...

But pretty awesome machines from what I've read and heard.

• Like 1