ebinmaine

How can I put a 120° bend in 3/4" diameter rod?

Wheel Horse 3D

Definately use fired bricks if ya have some, or...dirt and clay work good too

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

sketch-1616094236325.png

sketch-1616094341968.jpg

I don't have a picture of it but we've already got a setup similar to this except for the pipe.

We have a fire ring in the backyard around which we have gatherings and consume adult beverages and burn things. 

Wheel Horse 3D

Key is getting all contained small like the sketch i did over the pic. Keep the air through the coals as long and far as possible.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Definately use fired bricks if ya have some, or...dirt and clay work good too

We have an old antique truck wheel about 20 inch diameter

Wheel Horse 3D

Ooh a rim to work with! Well heck i thought we were goin rustic!

ebinmaine
Just now, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Ooh a rim to work with! Well heck i thought we were goin rustic!

This rim is about as rustic as you could get

Wheel Horse 3D

Any ol rim a couple bricks, a pipe and T, Trinas hair dryer, some clay, or plain clay kitty litter

• Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

sketch-1616095128526.png

Wheel Horse 3D

Even this setup a couple bricks on either side of your basin makes a huge difference

Plain clay kitty litter soaked in a bucket till soggy, mix in some unburned ash from the burnpile excellent firebrick, make do

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We have an old antique truck wheel about 20 inch diameter

That's what we have too. You can get a ripper going in that just need pretty of accelerant to start lol

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

That's what we have too. You can get a ripper going in that just need pretty of accelerant to start lol

6 or 8 gallons of waste oil should do it.....?

• Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Those knives used to be railroad spikes, done in a setup very like that with wood too.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Heat em up till light red to yellow(not white) 

Toss in the vise and throw yer leverage on there. Even a large crecent should do it. Repeat an tweak Then reheat and quench.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D

(Reminds me i need to git the forge set up at the new house)

8ntruck
13 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Heat em up till light red to yellow(not white) 

Toss in the vise and throw yer leverage on there. Even a large crecent should do it. Repeat an tweak Then reheat and quench.

Agree with heating to bright red to orange.  Good working range.  Any hotter, you can start to burn the carbon out of the steel.

The quench step should be dependent on the material being bent and the intended use.

If it is a high carbon material, quenching it could make it hard and brittle.  If hardness is desired, a tempering cycle might also be needed.

If it is low carbon material (rebar, hot rolled, etc.), quenching will just cool the piece off quickly.

In your firebrick receipe, you say to mix in some unburned ash.  That like gray wood ash with no chunks of charcoal in it?

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
7 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Agree with heating to bright red to orange.  Good working range.  Any hotter, you can start to burn the carbon out of the steel.

The quench step should be dependent on the material being bent and the intended use.

If it is a high carbon material, quenching it could make it hard and brittle.  If hardness is desired, a tempering cycle might also be needed.

If it is low carbon material (rebar, hot rolled, etc.), quenching will just cool the piece off quickly.

In your firebrick receipe, you say to mix in some unburned ash.  That like gray wood ash with no chunks of charcoal in it?

Yep, the ashes that even sittin overnight with hot coals didn't burn. I use it like a "fire clay". My basin is thin sheet metal (used to be a chimney spacer?) with a brass 4" grate in the bottom. I used that mixture and made me this fire clay and I'have a good couple of inches of it all around the inside of my basin. Over time ya have to go back in and freshen it up, but works great.

But DO be careful mixing! make sure to wear rubber gloves, depending what ashes ya have there's some Potassium Hydroxide goi'n on there! (Wood lye) i think that's part of why it works.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D

:eusa-think: Poassium carbonate(ash) plus water Potassium hydroxide. Im sure they clay has some calcium carbonate (limestone) in there which wouldn't do much till heated to Calcium oxide and then react with the remaining moisture which basically turns into lime, and maybe enough moisture to turn into Calcium hydroxide..both would react with CO2 in the air to basically turn back into carbonates......with other sand etc in there you'd basically end up with some sort of Potassium and Calcium Carbonate mortar holding together the other components of the kitty litter and ash (silica,very fine carbonized fibers?)

HAD TO EDIT! I realized why the ash...Potassium! Potassium has a much lower reaction point with oxygen. So in the heat of the fire while calcium carbonate(limestone and theres not much of that in the kitty litter) would be turning to calcium oxide and waiting to react qith water and degrade, potassium has aleady reacted and is in the stable carbonate form and doesnt react as much with water! Potassium basically skips the oxide phase. Now i feel better!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

pfrederi

Many many years ago my older brother had a science project that required melting something in a crucible (something that made copper as the output I think).  any way he built a fire ring of cement blocks filled with charcoal briquets  broken up and a piece of pipe hooked up to Mom's Electrolux.  (nothing sucks like an Electrolux but they blow pretty good also.)  Problem was the pipe heated up all the way back to the vacuum's flex hose and shall we say crisped the end of the flex hose.  Mom was not a happy camper.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Haha 5

Handy Don
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Mom was not a happy camper.

This begs for a thread of its own!

"How I caused Mom to be an unhappy camper..."

• Haha 4

Wheel Horse 3D
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Many many years ago my older brother had a science project that required melting something in a crucible (something that made copper as the output I think).  any way he built a fire ring of cement blocks filled with charcoal briquets  broken up and a piece of pipe hooked up to Mom's Electrolux.  (nothing sucks like an Electrolux but they blow pretty good also.)  Problem was the pipe heated up all the way back to the vacuum's flex hose and shall we say crisped the end of the flex hose.  Mom was not a happy camper.

He was likely heating up some malachite or other copper bearing oxide. Burning with carbon (charcoal) produces c02 and releases the copper from the copper oxide.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D
50 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

This begs for a thread of its own!

"How I caused Mom to be an unhappy camper..."

How can I count the ways!? Mom was a science teacher so if it involved something like that, she probably put me up to it lol.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Mickwhitt

If this is for making king pin axles is there any mileage in looking at drilling a square steel block to take the 3/4 bar? 

One vertical drilling for the king pin and one at 120 degrees for the axle?  The bar can be welded, brazed or just bonded in with shaft fit adhesive. 

Mick  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

If this is for making king pin axles is there any mileage in looking at drilling a square steel block to take the 3/4 bar? 

One vertical drilling for the king pin and one at 120 degrees for the axle?  The bar can be welded, brazed or just bonded in with shaft fit adhesive. 

Mick  

That is originally what it was for and you have a great idea. Turns out that was going to make the front of the tractor very high so I had to go with a different notion.

What I was going to do is get a trailer stub with a square welding end and drill that similar to what's on isavetractors. 

Mickwhitt

Eric I did a similar thing on Fred. 

Cut down the existing axle and bored out a round 1 inch trailer axle to fit over the stub. That way I got a bolt on wheel trailer hub on the front axle without too much problem.

Mick 

• Like 1

gt14rider

I read about the forge and think of a guy in Cohoes N.Y. made one in back yard to make a sword, burnt a block or two,  damaged 28 buildings in 2017

Screenshot_20210319-094009_Chrome.jpg