AHS

Starter/gen on my 857

AHS

Ok, i have no clue about the starter/gen! I am about to find out! What is the little box on top with the three leads? The tractor has been sitting for about 10 years... so my initiative is to take the start/gen off and bring it into ebbersons electrcal, and see if it’s fit for running at about 4,000 rpms. What do you think? The motor still turns over and the starter/gen.

FD7EA4E2-BAD0-4C65-94F5-8615A507CE88.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Don't even remove it. Leave it right where it is. If it's turning it's turning.

There is a way you can bench test that if you disconnect all the wires and take the belt off but I'm not sure I would even bother until you get the tractor running....

Those things are so incredibly simple on the inside that if you can turn a wrench you can replace a bearing. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
7 minutes ago, AHS said:

What is the little box on top with the three leads?

That is your voltage regulator. About the only thing that can go wrong with most S/G units is bearings and brushes and you can get them on :techie-ebay: and fix it yourself.

• Like 3

Pullstart

They’re so simple, Uncle Jim can do it!  That’s virtually all he rolls with!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

AHS
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Don't even remove it. Leave it right where it is. If it's turning it's turning.

There is a way you can bench test that if you disconnect all the wires and take the belt off but I'm not sure I would even bother until you get the tractor running....

Those things are so incredibly simple on the inside that if you can turn a wrench you can replace a bearing. 

Ok! I’m not gonna mess with it! I promise!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

AHS

Wait a minute! My 65 power king has on, a starter/gen... a that had been outside for at least 5 years and no problems!

• Like 4

ebinmaine

If the hood is kept shut it shouldn't really be getting damaged

• Like 1

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Watch "Zip Tip Starter Generator Testing" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/FHAMSuyo8Owhttps://youtu.be/FHAMSuyo8Ow used this the other day took all of 30 seconds

Good post Steve. That's a great simple test.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Yes do the quick test as in video. If it passes don't fix it if it ain't broken. Get the motor running for tests on the regulator. 

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

Norman at lsavetractors has great 

videos on the starter jen. Its on youtube

• Like 3

AHS
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

If the hood is kept shut it shouldn't really be getting damaged

Yes it has on both.

• Like 1

AHS
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Good post Steve. That's a great simple test.

I watched the video, it couldn’t be any easier. I watched them rebuild it, easy.

• Like 1

AHS

I just got this mug!! With a $50 gift card inside, from my wife!! Even after I told her about the 857! I think she wants me to buy more Wheelhorses.. I’m pretty sure...🤔

0DD265DF-BC5B-4135-B98A-2340E42E9F72.jpeg

• Heart 3

Handy Don
On 1/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, AHS said:

I just got this mug!! With a $50 gift card inside, from my wife!! Even after I told her about the 857! I think she wants me to buy more Wheelhorses.. I’m pretty sure...🤔

Looks very cool!  At least give a passing thought to something she's been hinting that she'd like before jumping onto FB MP and CL and the Bay!

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

passing thought

Thought. Okay, past it......

Funny thing about that Don.

Trina and I don't normally spend that much on each other anyways but if she had the wherewithal to give me a gift certificate she would expect fully and 100% that I used the money for myself.

• Like 1

Handy Don
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Thought. Okay, past it......

Funny thing about that Don.

Trina and I don't normally spend that much on each other anyways but if she had the wherewithal to give me a gift certificate she would expect fully and 100% that I used the money for myself.

Of course she would. Not suggesting that anyone would use a gift to buy the giver one. Be a gracious and thankful receiver! (Without receivers, there can be no givers, right?) But also reflect on how it feels to receive a gift so that, in the not distant future, one might choose to surprise the giver with something neat. :)

I rail (in vain, I fear) against the phrase "giving back" and the like. No gift giver I know expects or wants their gift to be given back--it was a gift, after all, given in the expectation that it will be used and bring pleasure to the receiver.

But to say "I have received gifts and from that I have learned the value of gifts so I am choosing to become a giver myself", that warms me.

"I am giving back" seems discordant; "I am giving" seems harmonious.

(exiting soapbox)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1