ebinmaine

How do you organize and store your drill bits?

formariz
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

One time at an auction there was a very large selection of end mills in a wooded block, separated nicely and all were excellent.   I didn't win the bid, some yuppie got them and he proceeded to toss the end mills one by one into a bucket on the floor.  The rocket scientist didn't need no stinkin' wooden block.  Ever wonder why everything is going to China?

1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Just stumbled on this thread & I can see Cas & Max & others need to loan or will me their organizational skills. Pics coming you may not want to see! :hide:

This is probably a good subject for another thread. In a way organization is as important as one's skill in whatever profession one exerts. Why and the reasons for it are many. Staying within the subject of this thread the most important reason for it is to protect the cutting edges whether they are drill bits, end mills, files, chisels or what ever has a cutting edge. Many don't understand how easy it is to ruin the cutting edge on one of those items and that it then leads to frustration, inefficiency and outright lack of quality in ones work. Worse yet is many times the danger that a dull damaged tool will create by being that way. Disorganization is something that is more prevalent than not. Organization skills are just not taught in most trades. Before I was ever allowed to sink a cutting tool into any piece of wood, I was taught about the tools for it. Taught to understand how and why they cut, how to sharpen them efficiently, and most important how to preserve that edge for as long as possible. Keeping them organized with cutting edges isolated is the most important part of that. Once that first step is learned and strictly enforced it just becomes a way of life for the rest of ones life. We complain many times that tools are just no good anymore, but in reality a lot of times we and not the tool are the problem, simply because we do not understand what we are doing wrong. Case and point are kitchen knives. I am constantly being asked to sharpen peoples knives, to the point that I think I could start a business with it. They leave here with constant words of caution so people don't get hurt. However many time they return shortly after because they got dull already. Reason for it? The biggest culprit! They are put into the dishwasher!!!. A sure way to ruin the edge by the excessive heat on what is a very thin delicate cutting edge. How many people know that? Edge on knives here last for months because they have never seen a dishwasher.

Organization is a skill that needs to be learned to the point that it is a way of life, otherwise it soon becomes for gotten.

• Like 1

WHX??

All good points Cas.

Actually I have very good organizing skills. Often too little time or just plain being too lazy (procrastination)  to implement them! 

A guy I knew busted me once for my wood chisels flopping around in a drawer... I got my rear chewed. Same with knives in a kitchen drawer. 

My dish washer has a name.... Manuel ... but I often call it Cindy too. :D

WVHillbilly520H

And sometimes (like my stepson who is on the "spectrum") chaos is his organization and you can't change that , cleans his room on Sunday and by Monday you would never know it. My father always stored tools ect. very nearly and organized and to a point I did too, but when life throws you 3 curve balls all at once sometimes you just get less worrisome over some of the minor details like total organization, I do try to keep my cutting toolings clean placed so they don't dull but a long as everything else is in/on the tool cabinet its all good (for me). Not to mention I have been in manufacturing facilities for 30+ years yes organization (5S) is preached upon right with safety.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

My dishwasher quit working last week...

But one slap aside her head got her working again   :hide:

• Haha 4

Shynon
33 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Ed Ed Ed :ROTF:can't stop laughing at  that one 🤣 😂 😆 

Edited by Shynon
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You would know if I ever tried that on BBT because you'd hear me screaming halfway across the country....

• Haha 2

formariz
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You would know if I ever tried that on BBT because you'd hear me screaming halfway across the country....

Would you even be able to scream at all?

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, formariz said:

Would you even be able to scream at all?

Only if she allowed it.........

:ROTF:

• Like 1

tom2p

I'm the boss in our house - and my wife gave me permission to say so

lol

• Haha 1

tom2p

what's the line ...

a place for every tool - and every tool in it's place 

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
18 minutes ago, tom2p said:

what's the line ...

a place for every tool - and every tool in it's place 

Yep 5S.

Shynon

So here's where I started organizing my machinist tool box. I bought these bins made for Lista industrial cabinets, these are USA made. Have a long way to go but so far am liking the use of space . I was using the black tool trays which wasted alot of space.

20210127_160908.jpg

20210127_160855.jpg

20210127_174352.jpg

20210127_160919.jpg

• Like 3

squonk
21 hours ago, Shynon said:

So here's where I started organizing my machinist tool box. I bought these bins made for Lista industrial cabinets, these are USA made. Have a long way to go but so far am liking the use of space . I was using the black tool trays which wasted alot of space.

20210127_160908.jpg

20210127_160855.jpg

20210127_174352.jpg

20210127_160919.jpg

Now I know why you have so many toolboxes! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2