Sailman

Calling all WH gurus...what is this model?

Sailman

I caught the wheel horse bug....and many of you are responsible...lol.

Have wanted a C-160 Hydro and located one that looks promising BUT this is the serial, model tag on the tractor. It doesn't look like my C-120. Can any one help with what model and year this might be??

Kohler tag looks correct but tractor looks like a restoration so not sure the C-160 decals are original. Also it does not have an hour meter. I thought all C-160 autos had the hour meter. It does have the correct hydro lift and arm connecting to the rear.

Looking for some answers here. Anyone got some ideas?????

Hope its not been retagged.....??

C160.jpg

serial.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish
4 minutes ago, Sailman said:

I caught the wheel horse bug

You're going to need this then. You can look up the model numbers

Wheel_Horse_All_Years.pdf

Sailman

I have several list like the one you sent....but the serial numbers don't match anything on my lists or the one you sent....

c-series don

Tagged correctly. 16=16hp, K=Kohler, S=Sunstrand automatic transmission. All C-160’s did not come with hour meters. I believe that was an option? 

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

1977 tractor with an engine made in 1977.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Tagged correctly. 16=16hp, K=Kohler, S=Sunstrand automatic transmission. All C-160’s did not come with hour meters. I believe that was an option? 

True. I've had with and without here. 

5 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

1977 tractor with an engine made in 1977

There ya be. 

'77 C160...

• Like 1

Sailman

Thanks for all the input. I have no concerns about the Kohler. I figured it was 1977 by the tag information 71223a.

Also looked at the files sent.....it is a 1977 C-160. Just was unsure of the different looking tag on the tractor. Didn't want to purchase something that may have been stolen with a fake tag.

Thanks all!!

Edited by Sailman
got more information
  • Like 1

Sailman

The tag on the tractor was not like my other C-120.

serial.jpg

Edited by Sailman
more info
  • Like 1

Sailman

Thanks ONCE AGAIN for all the info and help!

Edited by Sailman
dont need
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Thanks ONCE AGAIN for all the info and help!

We'd like to see lots more pics when you get it home!

Sailman

Will be sure to post them. Hopefully we can come to agreement on price. Comes with 3 blades, and a plow. No mower deck but I have 2. He wanting $1400 but seems a bit high. Sound high to you?

Tractor looks in great, I believe, original condition. Thought it was a restoration but pictures are looking more original. Paint around the serial number tag, etc.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Will be sure to post them. Hopefully we can come to agreement on price. Comes with 3 blades, and a plow. No mower deck but I have 2. He wanting $1400 but seems a bit high. Sound high to you?

Tractor looks in great, I believe, original condition. Thought it was a restoration but pictures are looking more original. Paint around the serial number tag, etc.

That's plenty but it's quite a tractor too. 

Give it a good check over and look at things like safety switches, the back of the ignition switch. 

Places where folks have been known to cobble things together. 

If it's all whole and not destroyed... You would be the biggest driver of price. 

Those can be had well north of you (and south of me) for a lot less but also think of what 1400 would get you in a new tractor. 

• Thanks 1

Sailman

Any thoughts on a fair price? I figure $800 tops for tractor and $100 each for attachments would put it at $1200. for the package. Has ag tires on the back, non original seat and modern stack exhaust on the right side. He says he has more than that in it so might be hard to negotiate it lower.

rmaynard

When the tag was cleaned, the first 2 digits of the model ID were removed. They were silk screened in black. In your case, those digits were "71". The correct ID should read'

71-16KS02 with the 71 being the code for the year 1977. The 7066 number indicates that it came off the assembly line on the 66th day of 1977.

Edited by rmaynard

Sailman

Good info. Would it be a fair guess to say the tractor may have been restored / repainted since the tag has been scrubbed?

Sailman

Looks like the rear axles have some leaks. Especially the right side. How hard / expensive is this to fix? Tires look pretty worn too.

160 4.jpg

Sailman

Hydro also appears to have some leaks or would this be considered normal?

I assume if its not dripping its ok??

Appreciate all responses.

160 2.jpg

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, Sailman said:

Looks like the rear axles have some leaks. Especially the right side. How hard / expensive is this to fix? Tires look pretty worn too.

160 4.jpg

I don't like the look of the brinly hitch cocked sideways, make sure one side of the tranny casting isn't broke where that attaches. 

Something like seals leaking is no big deal, just use it to bargain. But for that money everthing should work. Fire it up and let it idle awhile and let it warm up, then drive it around and make sure it all works good. More bargaining! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Sailman said:

160 4.jpg

Needs tires. Those appear well worn. 

The seals aren't too bad to do as long as the hub comes off ok. 

That rear seat pan is not shaped right. 

• Thanks 1

Sailman

Ended up not buying. Tractor ran good and hydro seemed strong BUT it was missing air cleaner, points cover, front head lights and misc screws (in dash) as well as worn out tires. Biggest concern was the parking brake lever was stuck in the down position with belt engaged. Could not get it into parking brake with no belt tension. The knobs on the lever were removed so it looks like someone may have given it a "bubba fix". Had the price been right I could have fixed most of the issues but he wouldn't meet my offer.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I'm finding more and more that folks see the age of any given thing and because of the fact that it is vintage or classic it's automatically worth about 78 times more. 

To whom, I don't know. It isn't me.

Situations like that it's best to just let the next person grab a hold and run with it.....

Pullstart

Good choice.  I can tell you a lot of things around my house that I’ve put money into but doesn’t add value.  Most vehicles in my area vary based on the fuel level!  It looked beat.  That rear hitch, the pin was just halfway out looking to me.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sailman

I did take the advice from here and checked that hitch pin first. It was missing one of the snap rings and just slipped out of position. Transmission attach point looked fine. He came down to $1250 and it included 3 blades (one of which I already have), plow,(which I have), drag and an air compressor! The pull blade and under belly blade would have been nice but the compressor??? One of those clunky objects that takes up space in the garage (which I don't have)!

oilwell1415
On 1/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Sailman said:

He says he has more than that in it so might be hard to negotiate it lower.

Just because he put too much in it doesn't mean he should expect anyone else to do the same.  There are very few commodities out there that you will get back what you put into them as a consumer.  He somewhat understands that or he would have fixed the issues this tractor has to increase its value.

• Like 1