Rick Ferrucci

Starter Solenoids

Rick Ferrucci

Hello everybody   

I want to change the starter solenoid on my GT 14. The one I’m changing looks original, and I went to a local, well known, power equipment repair/sales shop and I brought in my old solenoid which has two 5/16” posts and a 3/16” post.  They sold me one (Stens) that has two 1/4” posts and a 3/16” post. I’m told that it’s pretty universal. It doesn’t look the same but they tell me it’ll work fine. The box it comes in, says it can accommodate 5/16” wires or 1/4” wires. It does have the same bracket where it mounts to the hood frame. My question is, is it true? Are solenoids fairly universal? Should I be concerned if the smaller posts can handle the starting current? Also, when I look online for starter solenoids, the price is all over the boards. Anywhere from $12.00 to over $50.00. I’m just wondering if anyone has an opinion about solenoids? Thank you for your input.  Rick 

• Like 1

squonk

Yes it should work fine. Small engines really don't need a lot of current. You say you are replacing an original solenoid. Are the wires original too? Old wires will drop voltage and drive cranking amps up. Replace them too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

What you have should be fine. 

If you go to an auto parts store you can tell them you want a 3 post for a 79 F150. Or old jeep. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

71_Bronco

I picked up mine from Norm at I Save Tractors. Paid $15. Haven't put it in yet, but they had good reviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick Ferrucci

Thank you all for the advice. I have often bought from Isavetractors, but for this issue, I don’t have the time to wait for the order. Snow is in the forecast coming this week.

• Sad 1

Stepney

I concur, I usually say I have a '66 F100 or something .. that won't usually have the second small ost, and I've often gotten the rounded 3-terminal jobs. That or call it a 60's Jeep. The forth post was for boosting the coil voltage while cranking and not applicable on a tractor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I should get the book out and count how many different 3 post solenoids are made. Difference is mostly contact material and how they ground. Then there is the 701 solenoid that the starter button grounds the small terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, squonk said:

how many

It's around 3 bajillion. Roughly. 

• Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, Stepney said:

I concur, I usually say I have a '66 F100 or something .. that won't usually have the second small ost, and I've often gotten the rounded 3-terminal jobs. That or call it a 60's Jeep. The forth post was for boosting the coil voltage while cranking and not applicable on a tractor. 

1975 and later Ford car and truck solenoids didn't have the "I" terminal. 1958 to 1974 Ford solenoids are four post. This is one of many totally useless trivia items I have stored away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stepney

Interesting, before my '85 was converted away from the feedback-electronic system, it still had the 4-post and wiring to suit. I never did play with a Duraspark-era model. I guess napa gave me the wrong ones all along:laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1

Gregor
On 1/15/2021 at 7:40 PM, ebinmaine said:

What you have should be fine. 

If you go to an auto parts store you can tell them you want a 3 post for a 79 F150. Or old jeep. 

Those old Fords must be pretty popular. The machines I used to have had 2 shock absorbers. They were were $140 each. I used the front shock from a 70 (I think) Ford 1/2 ton. Worked just fine. $15 a piece.

• Like 1