Achto

Bearing Confusion

roadapples

Maybe the Big Bearing  Store...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stepney

A few of my old sleds had oddball bearings.. I remember that suffrage. 
Had a Ruston Hornsby here once for some things, oddball little stationary engine. It had Whitworth fittings on it, up till that point I had never heard of the system, save for my Raleigh bicycle.. the folks at the local industrial supply were .. confused, to say the least. 
Thems weren't cheap either.. 

• Like 2

roadapples

I have bought snowblower bearings from The Big Bearing Store.

8 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Maybe the Big Bearing  Store...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Achto said:

It sure pays to shop around when you are looking for parts

Both of us around this ranch are frugal people. Trina more so than I.
If the right tool/parts/item is at the right price we have no problem parting with our funds. We'd rather spend $200 on an item one time than spend $50 four times on cheaper versions.

That said, I have a habit / hobby / complete obsession with finding the best price on something when I order online.
Occasionally I do have a big win like you did with that bearing but usually I'll spend 40 minutes poking around to save only a few bucks.
Practical? Not usually. But I do enjoy it. I kind of take it as a personal self challenge.

• Like 5

Maxwell-8
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Both of us around this ranch are frugal people. Trina more so than I.
If the right tool/parts/item is at the right price we have no problem parting with our funds. We'd rather spend $200 on an item one time than spend $50 four times on cheaper versions.

That said, I have a habit / hobby / complete obsession with finding the best price on something when I order online.
Occasionally I do have a big win like you did with that bearing but usually I'll spend 40 minutes poking around to save only a few bucks.
Practical? Not usually. But I do enjoy it. I kind of take it as a personal self challenge.

Feeling the same way, if i find a great deal, i even get a kick! :D

But i also know the feeling, paying something and then seeing it cheaper the next day

• Like 4

squonk

Bearings like anything else differ in price depending on where it's made, what it's made out of to how many hands it passes thru before you the end user gets his greasy paws on it. Then it's quality control (2 bearings from the same assembly line may be a few thousands different from each other ect.) I have found from working in the auto parts industry for 10 years and industrial maint. for 20 is the fact that the cheapest isn't always the worst and the most expensive isn't always the best.

I would tend to spend more on say a Kohler engine bearing than on an  outer PTO pulley bearing just because of the fact of how much work it will take to change.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

Buying from a source expecting to supply the end user is the most expensive choice.  Eg:  Dealer,  Toro

Buying from a BIG bearing source is the least expensive choice.  Eg: Wholesaler,  Kaman.com

We have a local Kaman Bearings and the savings can be HUGE on brand names, the only kind to buy!  SKF, NSK, Timken and I'm sure others.  And armed with the actual bearing part number Google can your friend.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I Save Tractors has em for 50 a set

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

richmondred01

Kohler does not make the bearing.
After market, for a pair, should cost 50-55.

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

richmondred01

I’ll send you a link for a pair.

• Like 2

Raider69
On 1/15/2021 at 6:47 AM, DennisThornton said:

Buying from a source expecting to supply the end user is the most expensive choice.  Eg:  Dealer,  Toro

Buying from a BIG bearing source is the least expensive choice.  Eg: Wholesaler,  Kaman.com

We have a local Kaman Bearings and the savings can be HUGE on brand names, the only kind to buy!  SKF, NSK, Timken and I'm sure others.  And armed with the actual bearing part number Google can your friend.

In the late 70's I worked in the parts dept. of a construction equipment dealer and the mark up on roller bearings was astronomical.  We were charging over $100 for a bearing that you could go to a local bearing house and buy for under $5! I was the "runner" for the dealership besides working the parts counter and I went to Berry Bearing and Iowa Bearing multiple times a week, I also wrote up some of the invoices so I saw what we paid and what we charged, CRAZY!

• Sad 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Raider69 said:

In the late 70's I worked in the parts dept. of a construction equipment dealer and the mark up on roller bearings was astronomical.  We were charging over $100 for a bearing that you could go to a local bearing house and buy for under $5! I was the "runner" for the dealership besides working the parts counter and I went to Berry Bearing and Iowa Bearing multiple times a week, I also wrote up some of the invoices so I saw what we paid and what we charged, CRAZY!

There's fair pricing, then really good and then rape.  But, that's where Google and groups like this help even the playing field.  All you need is a bearing number right off the old bearing.

• Like 1

Kelsey

Our K241 crank bearings have MGMRADAX  HUNGRY 6308 stamped on it. I'm curious

to see how these 31 year old bearings cross reference to a different manufacturer. 

I found this bearing on Amazon 

NTN 6308C3 Bearing Open 40x90x23 mm 6308 C3 

Could these bearing be used?

Edited by Kelsey

pfrederi

The 6308 defines the size  any added letters usually address seals or other uniqueness

bearing.JPG

WheelhorseBob

Kohler sticker shock....near and dear to my heart lately. Glad you found a reasonable alternative.

Kelsey
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The 6308 defines the size  any added letters usually address seals or other uniqueness

bearing.JPG

Thank you Brother! The things you learn here at RedSquare !!

Crazyredhorse

Wow most would probably grease it throw it back together sell it as (runs needs carb cleaning):omg: