Greentored

Custom fabricated parts- any desire?

Bill D
13 minutes ago, bcgold said:

For me it was the challenge which much to my surprise turned out to be not much of a challenge , for the time being going to keep the manufacturing process classified as top secret.

Loose lips, sink ships.

Did you make it with or without a tab and what material did you make it out of?

bc.gold
55 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Did you make it with or without a tab and what material did you make it out of?

Without the tab, the spider will have to be slightly heated up with a heat gun, shrink fit. Made from stainless steel, the stainless parts will be laser cut and this machine is usually very busy so I'll have to book a time slot.

The finished profiling will be done in my shop.

I like your by-line. Enthusiastic Tinkerer

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
On 2/18/2021 at 7:22 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

I suppose once a few of those disenagrate and clogs up some oil passages they won't sell so fast.

It's an OEM Onan part.

bc.gold
On 2/18/2021 at 7:34 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Horse Newbie, if I had the machines and material there are quite a few parts I could make on conventional (lathes/mills/ grinders) or CNC (mill/EDM), haven't learned CNC lathes yet, the last 2 places I worked at wasn't too keen on the Apprenticeship program as much as just learn "our" processes and do just as much as a card carrying "journeyman" without the pay, so the most senior toolmaker took me under his wing and taught me quite a bit (but wasn't a fan of learning CNC) said the best way to learn was bring in my own projects and figure out how to make them from scratch than just making parts for the factory with blueprints.

While your dreaming of owning expensive equipment with a huge financial outlay. I'm thinking of pantograph's and duplicators, no programing skills required.

WVHillbilly520H
46 minutes ago, bcgold said:

It's an OEM Onan part.

And so was "toilet paper" oil filter media a long time ago, doesn't mean it's still a great idea today.

31 minutes ago, bcgold said:

While your dreaming of owning expensive equipment with a huge financial outlay. I'm thinking of pantograph's and duplicators, no programing skills required.

Yes "expensive" but not as much as a new vehicle, and I already know how to program this particular brand/style milling machine https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHWESTERN-INDUSTRIES-TRAK-DPM-CNC-BED-TYPE-VERTICAL-MILL-W-PROTOTRAK-29114-/373396848235?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292 as this what I was trained on and ran for 13 years, no "G" or "M" codes all conversational and it even had "math help" onboard the mainframe for figuring out the trigonometry if needed, easily programmed to mill circle pockets/frames, arcs/radii ,squares and rectangles, bolt circle patterns, and even those spacers (if a jig was made to hold it while machining), basically a computer controlled "Bridgeport" than can also be used manually with the hand wheels or as drill press with the quill, add a boring head and large holes could bore accurate and true much like a lathe.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

bc.gold

Heading over to the laser shop tomorrow, hopefully they'll have an interest in doing a small order. A lot depends on how many jobs are booked ahead then it depends on material runs.

I heard a rumor they purchased a second laser, so the wait time may not be that long.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 1/13/2021 at 1:56 PM, earlleecliffton said:

bolt on reduction steering

@Greentored

Scott I just wanted to take a sec to "bump" this thread in general and see if anything's cookin'?

Greentored
On 2/16/2022 at 9:09 AM, ebinmaine said:

@Greentored

Scott I just wanted to take a sec to "bump" this thread in general and see if anything's cookin'?

Not a bit:lol:  The shop has gone completely nuts, and between that and moving/building a new house, I pretty much back burnered this idea for now.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

Not a bit:lol:  The shop has gone completely nuts, and between that and moving/building a new house, I pretty much back burnered this idea for now.

I don't mean to be a pain here big guy but I'm really gonna need you to back burner the other stuff and get back going on this thread. 

:ROTF:

• Haha 1