Maxwell-8

312-8 Trans oil

Maxwell-8

I am choosing some new trans oil for my 312-8, i was wondering do these transmissions have any bronze, brass or copper parts? Many oils these days harm these materials. 

What would be best SAE90 or SAE 140 or 90W140 or 80W90?

It's gone need a diesel flush.If any leaks appear i will split the case replace the seals and grease the inside selector mechanism.

ebinmaine

You can use the least expensive 80W90 to 140 you can find. 

Seems to me they're all steel inside. 

Seals can be done from the outside but anything else you need to split the case. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The cluster gear has bronze bushings in both ends...I think the reverse idler gear has bronze bushings also.  You don't want to grease anything inside a Wheel Horse transmission.  The 90wt oil gets splashed sufficiently to lube everything inside...including the doughnut on the end of the shifter.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
18 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The cluster gear has bronze bushings in both ends...I thing the reverse idler gear has bronze bushings also.  You don't want to grease anything inside a Wheel Horse transmission.  The 90wt oil gets splashed sufficiently to lube everything inside...including the doughnut on the end of the shifter.  :occasion-xmas:

Thanks, so i better find an oil that is bronze safe.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Been using this for decades. I didn't know about bronze safe but apparently this is. :)

valvoline.jpg.a64cf1aa046d399c3bd182e2c09c1604.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

maxwell- 8, as said above, there is not much bronze, in the case , the most important thing is to flush this out on a regular basis. picture that oil, spraying and lubricating everything in there. can you drive on an empty road ? to heat things up , before draining? jack up the front end off ground , to enhance the drainage. use every gear and hi/low ranges on road to verify total operation, is the shift boot torn / ripped ? replace it . if the oil is MILKY IN COLOR , that's water in the oil , probably from shift boot area . I would use kerosene or an ATF fluid as a flushing agent , and some driving time to help to thoroughly flush out the crud. before adding new  80-9- fluid . that gear oil is specific for that use , not an issue with any bronze areas. this should be a relatively easy service. let us know how you make out , pete    

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

I usually use Wally World Super Tech 80-90w GL-5 Gear oil says on label protects against corrosion on copper and bronze....

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Nice timing. I'm literally sitting beside a bottle. 

16097011867958627032922701672606.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

agree with the wally world super tech , I regularly check my lubricants and keep them fresh, now ,EBINMAINE  about you sitting along side a bottle , as long as you do not start drinking  the stuff , we are good , pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, peter lena said:

EBINMAINE  about you sitting along side a bottle , as long as you do not start drinking  the stuff , we are good

I make no claims one way or the other....

• Like 2

Pullstart

There are some transmissions (limited slip) that spec 2 qts of oil in them.  I typically shoot for that, by filling through the dipstick or jacking the tractor up on the left side for filling through the plug.  If 1-1/2 qts is good, 2 is better!

• Like 1