AHS

Two JD (a sin!) older twin cylinders

AHS

No pics! There about a mile from me, and they’ve been sitting under tarps, until they got blown away... and there were two old (1945- 1955?) JD twin cyls!  Wide front ends. On a house that’s been dilapidated for 1 years, maybe more. It is known that the guy that had the house has dimensha.. all I want to do is get these tractors up and running. I have no idea about the twin cylinder JDs! Besides that they’re cool!😀  Does anyone have knowledge about the twins, and what I should look for? 

ebinmaine

Gotta admit a Johnny Popper sounds pretty good!!

:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

AHS
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gotta admit a Johnny Popper sounds pretty good!!

:popcorn:

Yes, indeed! I just wanna hear the sound and ride it, that’s all!! I have considered the gas tanks, and how rusty they are. And how the exhaust stacks are pointed right up in the air, and how water has gotten down there.I’ve been told there’s a “red tractor in the back of the house” I’ve never seen it, but my mind wanders...😀

ebinmaine

Get. Up. There. And. Get. Pictures. 

8ntruck

I really like watching those two cylinder Deeres at the antique tractor pulls.  I really like their exhaust note, and they confuse the flag man - he starts to wave the red 'finished' flag, then the engine fires again, driving the tractor forward a little.  Usually, the flag man starts to wave the flag two or three times before the tractor is really done with the pull.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

2 cylinder Deeres at the antique tractor pulls

Awesomeness

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Get. Up. There. And. Get. Pictures. 

When your up there put a tin can over those exhaust stacks 

• Like 4

T-Mo

It's hard to tell, unless you're knowledgeable on JD two cylinder tractors, to distinguish some models and years of an old JD.  The styled tractors will look sort of the same, i.e. A, B, G, 50, 60, etc through the styled years, 1939 to 1955. In 1952-53, JD switched over from letter series to number series without much difference in the appearance of the tractor.  The big change came in 1956 when JD added yellow to the hood of the tractor.

The two cylinder JDs had tons of torque, and a lot of lugging power.  And of course, that unique sound - you can tell a working JD in the field from miles from the sound. 

• Like 4

AHS
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Awesomeness

I know!😀

wh500special

We had a ‘41 B and I loved that tractor.  The engine stuck once after sitting outside for a few months but a couple of pulls with the truck broke it loose and it fired right up.   

The hand clutch takes some getting used to, especially when backing up.  Ours was hand start only by grabbing and spinning the flywheel.   With the petcocks open and knowing where to roll the engine before starting it was super easy to start.  

Terry’s right (as usual when it comes to Big Green stuff).   They all look about the same from a distance.  The A and B seem virtually identical unless they are parked next to each other when you can see the A is bigger.  The G is bigger and easily identified by the air intake and exhaust stacks being next to each other instead of in front of and behind...this pertains to the “styled” tractors only. 

The G is a big tractor and heavy on a trailer.  Seem to be worth quite a bit more than A’s and B’s.  

if you’re really lucky he’s got a pair of H’s sitting there.   Cute as buttons.   They only have one stack sticking up; the exhaust.   They are sweet little machines.  

good luck,

Steve 

• Like 1

T-Mo

The H's are nice little tractors, about the hp rating of a Farmall Cub, but a bit heavier and bigger.  A M, a 40, or a 320, 420 or 430 would be a nice size also - the engine on these are more forward and don't have frame rails like the other JDs do.  Here is a M shown in a JD market video from 1952:

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
On 1/2/2021 at 5:45 AM, T-Mo said:

It's hard to tell, unless you're knowledgeable on JD two cylinder tractors, to distinguish some models and years of an old JD.  The styled tractors will look sort of the same, i.e. A, B, G, 50, 60, etc through the styled years, 1939 to 1955. In 1952-53, JD switched over from letter series to number series without much difference in the appearance of the tractor.  The big change came in 1956 when JD added yellow to the hood of the tractor.

The two cylinder JDs had tons of torque, and a lot of lugging power.  And of course, that unique sound - you can tell a working JD in the field from miles from the sound. 

Its amazing that some of the pullers have over 900 cubic inches!! Just blows my mind!

Randy

6wheeler

You should get some pics if possible. The difference between an "A" and "B" is easy to tell. The A will have 8 rib vents on either side of the grille (same as a G) The B will have 7. The A will be 321cid. The G would be 412cid. About 10hp difference. The G's only came as an all fuel with low compression and the A's and B's came both ways. There was also an "H". The M became a 40. B's became 50's. A's became 60's. And, G's became 70's. The "R" became the 80, in the first number series. Then came the 20 series tractors with the first yellow stripes. Then the 30 series with rounded hoods and the steering shafts were under the hoods. Plus they had live hydraulics and live PTO. The first number series is also the first time factory power steering was available.

Edited by 6wheeler