Gregor

Making your own tools and gadgets

ebinmaine

Trina's well known for making due with what's on hand. 

She'll use every scrap of wood before considering going to buy more. 

Here's what she did while reassembly of some tent poles. 

The wire that rides inside needed to be held steady. 

Screwdriver through wire. 

Pliers holding either wire or screwdriver. 

Vise holding the both of them. 

So simple. Yet I wouldn't have thought to do this in a million years. I'd have gone and bought needle nose vise grips...

IMG_20200910_201955058.jpg.791913ad897dfd3cad9bd6fbae985ee2.jpg

Here's how I used to hold the cable lugs while making a battery cable. 

IMG_20200910_193952095.jpg.675ef16e5f696f202d7bcc63ac5b764e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

peter lena

ebinmaine , liked your  vise crimp, when I make up leads I  prefer the ( mechanical lug ) design, https://www.truevalue.com/shop/electrical/plugs-connectors/mechanical-lugs/aluminum-mechanical-lugs-00-14-awg-2-pk  that aloe's me to  easily add to a solid point with a screwdriver . since adding additional grounding points on my horses , my electrical issues have  stopped , pete  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, peter lena said:

prefer the ( mechanical lug )

I've since purchased a hammer style lug crimper. Haven't tried it yet. 

Should be easier to hold things in place. 

Lining up the cable and both bolts is an exercise in patience for sure. 

• Like 2

peter lena

ebinmaine , liked your  vise crimp, when I make up leads I  prefer the ( mechanical lug ) design, https://www.truevalue.com/shop/electrical/plugs-connectors/mechanical-lugs/aluminum-mechanical-lugs-00-14-awg-2-pk  that aloe's me to  easily add to a solid point with a screwdriver . since adding additional grounding points on my horses , my electrical issues have  stopped , pete  

• Like 1

peter lena

ebinmaine, picked up some 4 ga  battery cable , easy to strip off  last inch of cover and plug into the mechanical lug , I  also add a serrated washer at bolt down point and dielectric grease  to ensure solid ground,  those lugs also work very well on the snow blower chute  to cable mount point . take off the original screw cable hold , and bolt on a small mechanical lug , instead , for a much easier working  cable mount pull point .  just my experience , pete  

• Like 2

formariz
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina's well known for making due with what's on hand. 

She'll use every scrap of wood before considering going to buy more.

Unfortunately today most are conditioned to immediately look for a new tool or item to do a job or task when around us there are so may resources that will be just as good if not better than most items bought. It is not only it is a satisfying feeling to gaze at and use our resourceful creations but it keeps our minds stimulated towards that resourcefulness, inventiveness,and independence which due to all that is easily available for us to buy it is basically lost today. That attitude needs to be fed into our young from early on. As I take walks through the woods with my 9 year old grandson he constantly picks up pieces of metal and odd items thrown away  ages ago, sometimes so rusty one is not sure of what it is, I ask him what he is going to do with it and he answers" I don't know but it looks like it may came in handy some day". I say nothing but smile and think YESSS.

• Excellent 1

formariz
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Lining up the cable and both bolts is an exercise in patience for sure. 

A couple of turns of masking tape holding everything together prior to placing it on the vise will turn the system into a piece of cake.

• Like 1

Gregor

Flywheel puller. Just a 3 X 3 x 1/2 plate with a 1/2 X 20 hole tapped in the center, and 3 holes drilled in a pattern to match the holes on the flywheel. I think it might even work for a steeing wheel puller.

20201224_174229.jpg

20201223_151354.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

What do you do when you need to turn a big twin to set points, or check valve clearance?

Grab a piece of 1x2 off the scrap pile, drive a couple nails or screws (screws work better actually) about 4" apart.

Stick the screws into the holes in the grass screen and turn.

• Excellent 1

Digger 66

Official Can-Am crankshaft locking tool . :lol:

OGdoqV0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2