Gregor

Is there such a thing?

Gregor

When I rebuild a small 2 stroke lawnmower motor, I sometimes use my drill to spin it over. I would like to use my 1/2" corded drill to turn a 7hp Kohler. Is there a clutch type apparatus that I can chuck up in my drill, put a socket on, and spin the motor. that has a one-way clutch? I want to spin the motor, but if it starts, I don't want it spinning me. Thanks  Greg

AMC RULES

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

DennisThornton
34 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Hard to beat that!  I'm guessing it would need a strong drill and grip.

image.png

• Like 1

Gregor

I have my doubts if that would hold up with  1/2 drill, and a Kohler engine. I can't tell....Is there a 3/8 drive on the other end?

squonk

Looks like a whimpy drill too. You need a good old metal case 1/2" B & D from the 50's! 

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

My 22 year old college kid is in town for the holidays... I’m gonna use him as my starter... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Heart 1

Gregor

My son is 40 yo. He is 6', ~ 350 lbs. I quit asking him to tighten thins up for me.  On the upside, I know how this thing is getting to the floor.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175

I used to use a side grinder with the rubber sanding disc pressed down onto the grass screen on an old hard starting push mower.  Worked great.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Looks like a whimpy drill too. You need a good old metal case 1/2" B & D from the 50's! 

My ole man has one. 

I messed with it. IT won. 

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

A drill and impact socket is how I start my Military engine. 

Handy Don

This brought to mind how we started racing karts with dual McCulloch 2-cycle "chain saw" engines. Chain drive, no clutch (those were the days). 

Driver gets on and two guys pick up the back of the cart and throw it forward and down. Wheels bite, engine spins, off to the races (they were always flying starts).

At the end of the race, driver hits the kill switch and the cart gets dollied back to the pits.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

Many sizes and thread variations.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Handy Don
9 hours ago, bcgold said:

Many sizes and thread variations.

spacer.png

Crank for starting my grandfather's Model-T had a fitting like this on the end. I got to see the crank, but the car was long gone!

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

my grandfather's Model-T had a fitting like this on the end

My 58 MGA had one.  I never did have a good battery or starter in that car.  Always used the crank handle.  Got lot's of looks!

Handy Don

3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

My 58 MGA had one

Once saw a sign on a vintage MGA that said "Any bits falling from this motor are of the finest British craftsmanship."

Our old VW with 6 volt system never started well either. Parked pointed down the hill and roll started it all the time. We do what we can, right?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Any bits falling

Lucky there was noone behind me when my hood (bonnet) popped open, up, and back, and OFF the car!

• Haha 1

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Lucky there was noone behind me when my hood (bonnet) popped open, up, and back, and OFF the car!

As noted, the hood and its latches were "British Quality"!

• Haha 1

Gregor

"Is there a clutch type apparatus that I can chuck up in my drill, put a socket on, and spin the motor. that has a one-way clutch?"

Not sure how it will hold up, but they make a 1/2" version also if necessary

poke here

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, Gregor said:

"Is there a clutch type apparatus that I can chuck up in my drill, put a socket on, and spin the motor. that has a one-way clutch?"

Not sure how it will hold up, but they make a 1/2" version also if necessary

poke here

I've got a half inch drive breaker bar that's about 27 or 29" long. 

I can put a right sideways nasty amount of pressure on that if I can get a good grip on it and especially if gravity is in my favor. 

I'm not sure that I would want to put a ratcheting mechanism on that bar... But... for what you asked about with the drill and spinning that engine I don't know why that piece wouldn't work perfectly. 

Gregor

I also ordered the 1/2" version, just in case. This morning I decided to put my socket on my 1/2" cordless Dewalt. Not as much torque as my corded 1/2", I figured less chance of damage. Unfortunately, not as much power either. It has more poop than me, but just not quite enough.

• Like 1

Gregor

As some of you know I have been looking for some sort of ratcheting attachment for my drill, to spin motors over. I did order a couple of them. Then I discovered I already had one, I simply didn't have it assembled yet. 919999074_20210107_051148(2).jpg.f2056f7b2f74a9ce8a8958c7f799391d.jpgI had a 1/2" dive thumb ratchet, 3/8" to 1/2" adapter. 1/4" X 3/8" driver bit, and a 36 mm 1/2" drive socket. I bought this socket to work on a truck, I no longer have. I haven't used it since selling the truck.

404463565_20210107_061550(2).jpg.cea14361d4cb37deddf7cfe45a18cea5.jpgThe thumb drive has a slightly smaller diameter than it use to,1423966648_20210107_061618(2).thumb.jpg.f5b0e17582659dd5d510235b3d410882.jpg it had to fit in the socket. I guess I could have bought a bigger socket, but there just aren't many places open a 5 AM. I drilled and tapped 3, 6-32 screws, drilling slightly into the thumb ratchet, to hold it in place, although it was a press fit into the socket.

404463565_20210107_061550(2).jpg.cea14361d4cb37deddf7cfe45a18cea5.jpgPut it all together, and it works pretty good.

If your ratchets are like mine, they seem to inexplicably change direction, when your not looking. It's as thought there is a ratchet gremlin, hiding somewhere, ready to change it when you lay it down.

I made this from and old 3/8" drive extension that I have been using as a punch for years. I can poke it through the 1/2" drive hole in the socket, to switch the direction on the thumb ratchet. It's crude but effective.1689106063_20210107_071459(2).jpg.7be2fea2523f66851d91b535ddc41c86.jpg

By the way, the motor started right up! :)

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

You better hope that the ratchet drive doesn't decide to change direction at the moment the engine starts!  :scared-eek:

How about packing something into the socket... like some sort of putty or something, to hold the ratchet direction knob?  Modeling clay?

Or that the socket decides to come off the ratchet after the engine starts and you go to pull the device away, and the socket goes flying at high speed, dangerously!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Gregor

Ratchet adapter Generation II. New and Improved!  :handgestures-thumbup: When I got home from my errands yesterday, I was bored, so I did some more tinkering. I made another ratcheting adapter. I won't go into detail, other than to say, it required a 1 5/8 hole saw, 3/8" thumb drive,(4) 6-32 screws, a deep 3/4" socket, and an old screwdriver to modify as a reversing tool. This one is all one piece. It won't pull apart. When you pull it away from the motor, everything comes with it. No socket or other bits left dangling on the flywheel nut spinning at 1000 RPM. :hide:

672540992_ratchetadapter33(2).jpg.cef313f2c208807e93b021ddd7890c13.jpg

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Excellent improvement. I could use one of these for an engine we have that is a pull start with a rope, no recoil.