tbear853

Noobie here from Virginia

tbear853

New here.  Was working on a new receiver hitch, got cold, give up on it for tonight.  I'm a retired state LEO.  I like to "tinker".

I've only ever owned two garden tractors with mowers, a 1961 7HP "701" I think it was that I bought for $175 in 1981 ...  and my present C-85  I bought in 1988 for $700 which is now on it's third engine, I just repowered it in the '90s as the  8hp K  was overmatched with the 36" deck, then I upped it to 16hp OHV B&S V-twin which eventually started smoking and had head issues, so I did it again since I had fabbed exhaust, air cleaner, etc by then  ...  and then I bought a new 48" deck, so now it'll burn a belt off but no bogging where as the 8 would just about die.  I have a snow plow and extra wheels, chains with V-bars, etc.  I did once have a '60 WorkHorse with a boom on it and boat winch a fellow built for his son to play with but it was blown ... sadly sold the 701 and it back in the early '90s. 

Come Spring, gonna aim to  find another C-85 ... or one simular to a C-85 ... something with the 8 spd  ... :struck out "no hydros":.   I use a good snow blower for snow removal but it would be nice to have a tractor mounted blower ready to go?   Might look around the area for  "hot rod" toy makings too.

Edited by tbear853
more thought
  • Like 5

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti: to. :rs:

• Like 1

dkg520

Welcome!!  Always glad to find another retired Virginia LEO who enjoys a Wheel Horse. You will find a lot of great people here and a great amount of information.  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: and here’s to you finding another 701 some day!  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

WHNJ701

A couple hours north there are 3 or 4 701s for sale under 500 bucks listed in various places

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: what part of the Shenandoah Valley are you from? I am in Staunton (originally from WV) unfortunately in my searches nearby here , the pre-90s :wh: are often hard to find and $$$ if/when you do, just wondering why you wouldn't consider a hydro unit especially for a snow blower or mowing rig? I have had both and prefer the hydro for everything but tilling (just my personal experiences and opinion) happy hunting.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

• Like 1

tbear853
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: what part of the Shenandoah Valley are you from? I am in Staunton (originally from WV) unfortunately in my searches nearby here , the pre-90s :wh: are often hard to find and $$$ if/when you do, just wondering why you wouldn't consider a hydro unit especially for a snow blower or mowing rig? I have had both and prefer the hydro for everything but tilling (just my personal experiences and opinion) happy hunting.

Well, I live about 30 minutes south near Fairfield.  I grew up in Lynchburg, but my journey started in Texas .... "West Texas" actually.  As to my "no hydros" remark, it was brash maybe, but after 40 years of only owning manuals, having one key break in the 701, no issues with leaks or seals, just familiarity I guess.  Maybe I'd feel different if I lived with  one here?   

I already know of a C-161 that is a hydro I think, it only has a plow on it, no deck that I've seen laying around, ag tires.  It's rough but runs.

7 hours ago, dkg520 said:

Welcome!!  Always glad to find another retired Virginia LEO who enjoys a Wheel Horse. You will find a lot of great people here and a great amount of information.  

"Another"?

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: and here’s to you finding another 701 some day!  :orcs-cheers:

I intend to go to the home of the fellow who got them and ask first.  Might get both it and the Workhorse with the boom (fellow who gave it to me was a kid with a dad who was a mechanic & run wreckers, so kid made the Workhorse into a tow rig to drag mowers home to tinker & repair) ... fellow has a big storage shed.

Thank you all, I looked around before signing up, looks like a friendly & active forum.  I have a buddy who does old Farmalls, gonna suggest it to him too.

Edited by tbear853
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

tbear853
3 hours ago, jabelman said:

A couple hours north there are 3 or 4 701s for sale under 500 bucks listed in various places

Wife says after things settle.  It's been a tough last few years, I try to keep her happy as I can so I'll wait.    

If I get another C-whatever, 85, etc ... I know I have stuff to fit.  I do like the 8 speed, but that 701 or other vintage just look so cool to me.  My 701 had the 36" deck with gear drive blades off a pulley, it mowed really nice just leaving grass laying where cut.

Edited by tbear853
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, tbear853 said:

Well, I live about 30 minutes south near Fairfield.  I grew up in Lynchburg, but my journey started in Texas .... "West Texas" actually.  As to my "no hydros" remark, it was brash maybe, but after 40 years of only owning manuals, having one key break in the 701, no issues with leaks or seals, just familiarity I guess.  Maybe I'd feel different if I lived with  one here?  

"Another"?

Thank you all, 

Sir, not brush at all, some will only have gear jammers my 83yo father was 1 but now he seems to find they hydro much easier to control, and before my 520H I was much the same and daily driver vehicles as well till 2014, its all good, just my experiences with snow blowers with both trans the hydro is never in the wrong gear. Again welcome to the "club" and good luck on your next "toy".

• Like 4

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to the best wheelhorse site in the world. 

• Like 7

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Welcome to the best everything site in the world. 

Greatest bunch of folks here. 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, tbear853 said:

Well, I live about 30 minutes south near Fairfield.  I grew up in Lynchburg, but my journey started in Texas .... "West Texas" actually. 

Welcome! I am in Waynesboro.  :occasion-snowman:

• Excellent 2

Bill D

Welcome. Please note that we love pictures!  

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, tbear853 said:

but my journey started in Texas .... "West Texas" actually. 

:text-welcomeconfetti: @tbear853 from another Texan. Where in West Texas 

DennisThornton

Welcome!

For several years I mowed with my C-81 with 36" rear discharge and loved it with no memories of it not cutting well or bogging down.  Still using an 8HP with dozer blade for my goto snow removal, unless I get caught sleeping overnite.

Got several tractors and upto 35HP (not WH!) and l've loved my 8HPs for decades.  (I did manage to kill one but it was my fault...RIP)

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs: