IndyFord2

C-120 Drive Belt Replacement

IndyFord2

Bought a new drive belt. All the research seemed to lead me to a 5L-820 after fitting, seemed a 5L-830 fit better. (840 was a tad long) Problem : Wont stop when you push the clutch in. And I'm a little to old to be tamin  run away horses !  Even with the belt off the idler, it wants to grab at the engine pully an GO. Old belt is perty slick on sides, do I just need to drive it around some ? Tractor hasn't been worked for several years. Maybe pully a little rusty ?

• Like 1

squonk

Is the belt guard  on? The guard helps the belt "push away" from the engine pulley. I've only had to drive around 1 tractor in my life to get the belt to "slip" Drive it down the street and push the clutch pedal in about half way to "wear " the belt in.

• Like 3

IndyFord2

Thanks for the help. Yes guards off so I could see belt in action. I'll put it back together and take it for a spin. Want to get this straightened out, got another C-120 just put Ag tires on it and wow does it pull. Figure its a good time for it to get "belted"

Rusty Tinsnips

I ordered a belt online and it came  with the correct part number on the belt but was actually 81" long. I installed it anyway, very hard to get on, and it would not release with the clutch down. So I went to TSC and took the original belt with me. The TSC 7473 5/8x82 was 81" also. They were out of 83" belts. So then I go across the river to another TSC and that 7473 belt was the correct size, installed easily and works great. $50.00 and 3/4 day later I had a belt.

NO quality control anymore.

squonk
3 hours ago, Rusty Tinsnips said:

I ordered a belt online and it came  with the correct part number on the belt but was actually 81" long. I installed it anyway, very hard to get on, and it would not release with the clutch down. So I went to TSC and took the original belt with me. The TSC 7473 5/8x82 was 81" also. They were out of 83" belts. So then I go across the river to another TSC and that 7473 belt was the correct size, installed easily and works great. $50.00 and 3/4 day later I had a belt.

NO quality control anymore.

Just curious, At the first TSC did you make sure the numbers on the belt matched the sleeve? People will by 2 or 3 belts not knowing what size they need and return what they don't use and mix them up. I've had it happen more than once.

• Like 3

Rusty Tinsnips
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

did you make sure the numbers on the belt matched the sleeve

Yes I did. I even had a store clerk verify that I'm not a complete idiot. I never realized how hard it can be to get a simple belt. I will never order one online again because they have to be checked with a tape measure or matched side by side with the correct belt.

tom2p

if / when at all possible - I use the 'true' OEM molded / wrapped Toro Wheel Horse belts ; the belts are made in the USA and have the part number stamped (as opposed to printed) on the belt 

they fit well and are very durable 

'True' OEM belts can be a challenge to find - because many of the current 'OEM' belts are not of the same quality ... many current 'OEM' belts are now manufactured in Mexico (or whatever) - and might not be molded / wrapped.  

Two current 'OEM' belts barely provided me a month of service before they began to display significant wear - and I was forced to replace them ... in one case I re-installed the 10+ year old belt I had just removed.

Some of the better aftermarket and parts store belts are of better quality than many of current Toro Wheel Horse OEM belts.

One belt that has worked well so far is a True Blue (Stens ?) belt.  Was listed as made in US - but the belt I got was made in India.

Also got a red belt (Rotary ?) that appears to be decent quality.

And I believe some on this board have gotten good service from NAPA belts.

• Like 2

ed umscheid

does anybody have the actual wheel horse 120-8 main drive belt number ?

• Like 1

ed umscheid

i also have the same problem with mine    what is the actual part number for the c 120-8 from wheel horse ?

• Like 1

rmaynard

Part number 7473

Edited by rmaynard