adsm08

Gone Greene

adsm08

So I've got two more four-legged hooved animals in the barn. Not Horsies this time though.

QZDN1Bb.jpg

After my uncles were done going through the items in my grandfather's estate that had no specific disposition in his will these were left. Two nearly identical JD 110s. His plan was to restore them, grandma basically said I can take any of the tractors except the almost new Simplicity and do whatever I want with them.

I'm going to fix one and try to sell it. I'm going to keep the other and try to finish his project. The choice of which to sell and which to keep was easy, one has a Techy, one has a K181. Indian boy is going to leave, The Kholer one is going to stay.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

briankd

same way i got my 110 my father in law passed and we wasn't going to throw it away. been mowing with mine last 5 yrs . i have a 1970 110 square  fender decent tractor . yours about a 1968 maybe ?

these green ones a little tougher to work on than a horse  

4_20190902_123636.jpg.aab0940beb4f8f4c2774c6ebc687d1a7.jpg

• Like 2

adsm08
18 minutes ago, briankd said:

yours about a 1968 maybe ?

I'm not sure exactly. I was browsing Google Images and the closest looking one I could find was listed as a 63. By the mid to late 60s all the ones I find had either metal seats with no holes, or padded flip-forward seats.

WHNJ701
11 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I'm not sure exactly. I was browsing Google Images and the closest looking one I could find was listed as a 63. By the mid to late 60s all the ones I find had either metal seats with no holes, or padded flip-forward seats.

Yours looks early 60s, you would have to check the serial tag, like the cub cadet originals, the lower the # the more valuable.  If you got the space I would redo and keep them as a pair.

• Like 2

adsm08
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

Yours looks early 60s, you would have to check the serial tag, like the cub cadet originals, the lower the # the more valuable.  If you got the space I would redo and keep them as a pair.

I would love to, but I really don't have the space. I was struggling to find space to keep both of my Wheel Horses indoors before this. Particularly in the winter when I try to park the two summer vehicles in the garage to keep them out of the way.

What I might do is get the one I don't want to keep in good shape and give it to my cousin. He is only 9, has severe behavioral problems, but does great with machines. Our grandfather was one of the few people he always responded well to. One day he might get old enough to appreciate having that piece of connection.

• Like 1

T-Mo

The John Deere round fender 110 was made from 1963 to 1967.  Yours has bolted on foot rests which places it 1963 to 1966 (1967 the foot rests were welded on).  We can eliminate 1963 as the lift lever on a '63 was higher.  It's not a '64 either as a '63 and '64 had fewer lug bolts on the rear hubs.  It looks to have the words "Variable Speed" on the dash which makes it a 1966, if didn't have those words it would be a '65.  Here is a chart of the '60s JDs with the serial number ranges.

1960 equipment.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

I love my 65 JD 110, still want to fully restore it in the future.

20200622_174441.jpg

20200622_174421.jpg

• Like 3

bds1984

I appreciate the green machines as I've spent hundreds, if not over a thousand hours on a few over the years.  JD does make some great stuff but man are they pricey AND more difficult to work on compared to my Wheel Horses.  I never understood why the fender and footrests had to be once piece and that seems to be the WORST part of working on them; a close second would be the pulley/belt routes.  

T-Mo

The fenders and foot rests are not one piece on the round fender tractors, that only started in 1968 with the square fender tractors.  And I never had a problem removing the fender deck on one before.  The round fender models had separate fenders and foot rests.

adsm08
On 11/23/2020 at 5:11 AM, T-Mo said:

The John Deere round fender 110 was made from 1963 to 1967.  Yours has bolted on foot rests which places it 1963 to 1966 (1967 the foot rests were welded on).  We can eliminate 1963 as the lift lever on a '63 was higher.  It's not a '64 either as a '63 and '64 had fewer lug bolts on the rear hubs.  It looks to have the words "Variable Speed" on the dash which makes it a 1966, if didn't have those words it would be a '65.  Here is a chart of the '60s JDs with the serial number ranges.

1960 equipment.pdf 3.74 kB · 1 download

Yeah, that's about what I figured out. It does have "Variable Speed" on the dash.

I posted up a few pics over at JDFanatics and the guys over there said they should both be 66s, and that the one, which is actually a 112, is a fairly low serial number.