WHNJ701

57 bolens another update

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, jabelman said:

paint dept

Perhaps you could do like my own paint department does.

Prep parts indoors.

Bring outside, paint it.  Bring it right back in to cure. Not sure what the lowball temperature is there but rain is obviously a deal breaker. 

• Excellent 1

WHNJ701
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Perhaps you could do like my own paint department does.

Prep parts indoors.

Bring outside, paint it.  Bring it right back in to cure. Not sure what the lowball temperature is there but rain is obviously a deal breaker. 

I like the sun baked finish especially with the spray paint.  I will get what I can prepped and hopefully primed when the weather cooperates.  But.... The wife still hasn't got her smell back yet since the her Sept covid so maybe I can paint....

• Like 1

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I like the sun baked finish especially with the spray paint.  I will get what I can prepped and hopefully primed when the weather cooperates.  But.... The wife still hasn't got her smell back yet since the her Sept covid so maybe I can paint....

If she can't smell it then you ain't done nothin wrong.....

I think. 

• Haha 1

echris

I have an old kitchen range hood in my basement shop venting right out the window. It's over a small 4' x 2' workbench.
A few years ago I made a simple wooden frame to match the bench outline using 3/4" square pine scrap and pinchy clamped it to the range hood lower lip.
I stapled 2mil clear plastic to the frame and draped it around the entire bench, with a stage curtain opening at the front.
I did a test staining a scrap of wood with Minwax and I couldn't even smell it from working distance.
Works great for painting small parts indoors in the colder climates.
Add heat lamps. In that little tent, one 100w bulb would make it a furnace.
Feel free to scale up. ;)

Here's a shot of the frame, all dusty, jammed behind the pantograph and the 1970's Sears central vac. ;/

PXL_20201119_013922515.jpg.77a431d174dbeb62da53dfdca5691b08.jpg

• Like 1

Stepney

May be shoddy memory, but I seem to recall my 1958 VersaMatic the hubs were reversible, to give both sides wear time. IE using the reverser side as your drive. Maybe worth a shot? 

• Like 1

WHNJ701
On 11/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, Stepney said:

May be shoddy memory, but I seem to recall my 1958 VersaMatic the hubs were reversible, to give both sides wear time. IE using the reverser side as your drive. Maybe worth a shot? 

That makes sense, so far everything is working as should.  Fingers crossed when it's all back together!

WHNJ701

Been slowly attacking it here and there.  No real plan, get everything prepped for paint in spring and get the 160 back together

PXL_20201125_004444880.jpg

PXL_20201125_004557104.jpg

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Made some progress today, opened up the paint dept since it was 60 outside, got the engine block painted.  Ordered up some parts for the k160, wow!  points and condensers, carb kits all went up in price.  

I stopped keeping track of how much is going into this one.

Haven't decided what carb is going on it, it had a walbro lme 25 on it.  I have an old carter round bowl in the carb pile I might use.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

The flywheel on this k160 was red, so regal red it is.  The tins will be green to match the tractor.

A lot more prep on misc parts, some soaking in vinegar, some chemical stripped, some wire wheel.  You can see the original the paint under the 2 other coats.

PXL_20201128_214056390.jpg

PXL_20201125_004516216.jpg

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Here's a very scary picture of the k160 electronics!!  The old bendix coil setup.......  Try finding that coil for a k160 new or repro huge bucks if you can find one!!!

Well I got real creative in my research and found these coils were used in other applications, and in the name of science I ordered one for a chainsaw and hooked up some wires temporary, stuffed everything under the flywheel and spun it by hand and bright blue spark!!!! 

The back up plan was to ditch this whole setup and swap a k161 bearing plate, coil, flywheel etc....

PXL_20201201_002451064.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, jabelman said:

bright blue spark!!!!

Niiiice

buckrancher

keep up the good fight:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1