formariz

Bench light

formariz

Bench keeps evolving. Was able to score a long looked for vintage industrial articulated light at a reasonable cost. It will be invaluable for those tasks which are not so easy on the aging eyes. As a bonus it will allow me to occasionally warm up  stiff hands.

B1B9BF4B-58DC-40D1-A410-78D1F3F7B823.jpeg.408eaba52de02380cdbd769ba32f6aa0.jpeg

5EF164FF-0750-477D-BB4B-84E8747AD546.jpeg.0b938d1a952bde000e0fdf07bd959fbd.jpeg

FD795433-CA41-45B6-9384-A5FC9646C659.jpeg.65c576b943a0e5acde351615ef686426.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

WHNJ701

Kinda similar to what we have, we picked up 2 old dentist lights,  they are mounted on the walls behind the one work bench in the shop. 

the lights are the  halogen ones that blind you need in the eyes while they are drilling on your teeth

• Like 1

WHX??

Did you put one if those new fangle vintage led bulbs in it? :)

download.jpeg

• Like 2

formariz
15 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Kinda similar to what we have, we picked up 2 old dentist lights,  they are mounted on the walls behind the one work bench in the shop. 

the lights are the  halogen ones that blind you need in the eyes while they are drilling on your teeth

7 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Did you put one if those new fangle vintage led bulbs in it? :)

download.jpeg

I have a regular incandescent bulb in it. I am particularly fond of the type of light it gives. It is easier and more pleasing to my eyes and it accentuates the work better than any other light. In much of what I do I need the light to create certain shadows and have certain color tones in order to accurately perform the task. Only an incandescent bulb so far achieves all of that to me. The localized warmth is also beneficial, just need to remember not to grab the cover when moving it.

• Like 1

Stormin

I've a couple of similar 1940's - '50's lamps. One above my bench and one over the lathe.

The bench one was my father's and the other I got for free. Seen the same on a salvage/antique show valued at £150/$193.

formariz
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I've a couple of similar 1940's - '50's lamps. One above my bench and one over the lathe.

The bench one was my father's and the other I got for free. Seen the same on a salvage/antique show valued at £150/$193.

Same here. They go for an average of 150.00. I was able to get this one for $78.00 including shipping. Another stroke of luck. Sometimes a little mistake in listing isolates them from most eyes.

squonk

Might want to stock up on incandescent bulbs before they are no more! 

formariz
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Might want to stock up on incandescent bulbs before they are no more! 

:)Already have at least one lifetime supply. I use them allover.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Just the opposite here, I recently swapped out all my 8 ft tube florescents to led in the shop. . Just for grins measured the amp draw on the florescents. Almost 14 amps... leds were a hair over 4. Eight fixtures two bulbs a fixture. I'll take those savings. 5 K color bout the same as florescents. Not an issue in a strait tractor shop. 

• Like 1

formariz
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Just the opposite here, I recently swapped out all my 8 ft tube florescents to led in the shop. . Just for grins measured the amp draw on the florescents. Almost 14 amps... leds were a hair over 4. Eight fixtures two bulbs a fixture. I'll take those savings. 5 K color bout the same as florescents. Not an issue in a strait tractor shop. 

On the ceiling fixtures I also use LEDs . Been converting the fluorescents to leds as they begin to fade. Not only the lighting is more intense but some of the older ballasts are actually a fire hazard and are noisy. I use incandescent bulbs for adjustable and spot lighting if critical work or areas.

5C17D352-D6E8-4C54-803F-3B41A7432074.jpeg.cb796796fbd581fac69f82a8905eccbc.jpeg

3CC49FA8-B300-4B7D-BAA5-D7A58254A3C2.jpeg.3ef44bf0043b8b5b49dcac58841706ea.jpeg

98B119C2-969A-47E3-81E3-558D391F4A4E.jpeg.f927c27ce8d992edf45abc5cc48ffb74.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??

25 minutes ago, formariz said:

fire hazard

Got that right Cas ... some ballasts I pulled were actually turning the  the fixture brown from heat.  I converted two fixtures months ago just to see how the cheap jungle site ones worked out .... so far so good so I pulled the trigger on the rest of them. 

I also converted the very very many in my business shop to them and so far so good. I had a couple DOAs but they were qick to sent me more at no cost. 

formariz
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Got that right Cas ... some ballasts I pulled were actually turning the  the fixture brown from heat.  I converted two fixtures months ago just to see how the cheap jungle site ones worked out .... so far so good so I pulled the trigger on the rest of them. 

I also converted the very very many in my business shop to them and so far so good. I had a couple DOAs but they were qick to sent me more at no cost. 

Take a look at this one. Good thing it happened while I was there. It actually caught on fire some years back. Since then I never rested until I got rid of the old ones.

3B7CD961-43CB-485D-B3BF-1428D56F9A45.jpeg.ca5da5c660559a6465158dae0bdfa521.jpeg