Wild Wheel Horse

wfopete

I swapped in a new 6.5 HP engine into my Lawn Ranger and while

wheel horse 1045

[get er done]

Michael Bullington

use 2" on the engine and 4" on the tranny

wfopete

Will that require a different size belt?

HorseFixer

Good Job! :omg:

Michael Bullington

use the original size pulleys and the original size belt in the manual....Trust me with my ranger in low gear I can watch the grass grow while i cut it!

Stock Belt

Part 1576 V- Belt - 70" by 1/2

W9JAB

Belt Diameter Constant Diameter Constant Center Constant

Length = Pulley #1 x 1.57 + Pulley #2 x 1.57 + Distance x 2

69.42 = 2 x 1.57 + 4 x 1.57 + 30 x 2

3.14 6.28

wfopete

Hey who let Albert Einstein in? :omg:

Didn't you see I'm from Arkansas?

I was just about to comment on how nice it is to work on something with no relays or safety switches and I can use my American wrenches and sockets on again. I only have a degree in Guess-ti-mate-ology and I get the Theory of Pulley/Belt relativity thrown at me. Where is my Texas Instruments scientific calculator?

Red Horse

use the original size pulleys and the original size belt in the manual....Trust me with my ranger in low gear I can watch the grass grow while i cut it!

Stock Belt

Part 1576 V- Belt - 70" by 1/2

LOL.That is the truth. I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone flipping a Lawn Ranger ! You don't need low range on those tractors-they're low enough. Just curious though, what kind of 6.5 engine was it? The OEM was a Tecumseh HH60. BTW if you can't find an OEM drive belt try a 4L710 from NAPA.

fordsonmajortom

We had the same thing happen when i fitted a Honda engine to my Lawn Ranger.If you Didn't let the clutch out very slowly it went straight up vertically and took off. Luckely the Honda engine has got a low oil level cut out switch so it stopped within a few yards as it was heading towards a garage door. :omg:

I am going to cure it by fitting some weights on the front and that will hopefully keep it down. It didn't help that the engine pulley is larger and i had to fix the engine further back.

Michael :drool:

Michael Bullington

okay there is no reason a tractor should wheelie like that with the proper belt and and the engine speed set properly to take off....I can dump my clutch and the front wheels will never leave the ground...(the belt is not slipping). You can adjust the rods so the pedal is more at the top to release the belt.

These tractors do not need to be wide open to take off...Increase the throttle slightly then increase the throttle to gain ground speed ...if it is still bucking then the belt is not working properly or needs adjustment

a larger pulley on the engine should reduce the take off speed and increase the top speed...If anything the larger pulley would decrease the engine bottom end.....Again the problem was Too much throttle.

Good Luck and stay Safe

Michael

wfopete

Too much throttle? Funny, that same thought passed through my mind about the time the front wheels were two feet off the ground and continuing to go up. :omg: I thought: "Certainly this thing isn't going to flip over?" The problem is that once that chain of events starts it's hard to stop. First you get jerked back, which causes your foot to have a tendancy to release more clutch pedal which in turn increses the engagement all the while your wieght is being transfered to the rear tires.

I think a 2" pulley may be part of the solution, as the OEM is a 2.5" size.

I can realate to Michael because the Lawn Ranger motor is a 6.5 HP Honda clone. I did not have to butcher the frame by drilling or modifing. How? Good old hillbilly technology. I used a piece of plywood for a engine mounting plate. The plywood gave me the correct height for the crankshaft and I mounted it with carriage bolts in the original frame holes then, counter sunk four more into the plywood (from the bottom) for the engine mounts. The plywood will also give me a good template for a sturdy future aluminum engine mount. The clone motor has plenty of power. The worst part is, of course, the engine lost it's "back in the day" virtues but I'm working on bringing back some of those.

I recall that this LR has always had a rather abrupt "engagement point". I'll inspect the issue closer and try some adjustments to the pedal/rod. It did have a new drive pulley on it.

bork

Hehehe, Now I know where you got your name, Glad your OK. still leaving a nice humorus image in my mind! hehehe cant stop chuckling.

can whlvr

I once flipped my 308 over on top of my self,and i can tell you it was terifying with the tires and chains flailing towards my head,so i knowhow you feel!!

Michael Bullington

Quote: I once flipped my 308 over on top of my self,and i can tell you it was terifying with the tires and chains flailing towards my head,so i knowhow you feel!!

You guys are funny!! :omg: :drool: