Greentored

Time to build a new trail bomber

Greentored
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

On this idler did you massage/modify the surface in any way or is it just from the belt riding on the flat?

I ask because on the Mackissic chipper I've been having difficulty finding a happy spot for the idler and finally determined that the flat surface is actually bowed out a hair. 

New pulley is on order....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I did cut a small 'step' in the lower and upper flat idlers, and it did absolutely nothing to help 'coax' the belt to ride center.  The lower is close enough to the trans pulley that it rides perfect, but the upper being a good foot from the engine pulley, no matter what I did it would not ride correctly- I even cut a 2 degree taper on the surface, and it still rode to the outside and rubbed the guide!  I ended up cutting about a 2 degree 'angle' on the mounting spacer and turned it a little at at time while running (VERY carefully, using a long screwdriver!) until the belt rode in center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, Greentored said:

I did cut a small 'step' in the lower and upper flat idlers, and it did absolutely nothing to help 'coax' the belt to ride center.  The lower is close enough to the trans pulley that it rides perfect, but the upper being a good foot from the engine pulley, no matter what I did it would not ride correctly- I even cut a 2 degree taper on the surface, and it still rode to the outside and rubbed the guide!  I ended up cutting about a 2 degree 'angle' on the mounting spacer and turned it a little at at time while running (VERY carefully, using a long screwdriver!) until the belt rode in center.

That's a similar procedure to what I tried except for using a crescent wrench because the pulley rides on kind of a tab. I messed around with it several times while it was running at both low and high idle. Behavior was slightly different but still unacceptable.

I got to some kind of a different angle while looking at it one day and I noticed that the surface of the supposedly flat pulling actually concave out just a tiny bit.

• Like 1

Zeek
On 8/3/2021 at 7:55 AM, 19richie66 said:

I think it’s cool. Honestly…..it’s getting used for something and not rotting away in someone’s backyard or being stripped and put on ebay. Congratulations and I can’t wait to see how you do. 

:text-yeahthat:I restored almost all I had, but that's me for what my purposes were. There are plenty that are sitting in outdoor bone yards rusting away. You made good use of yours. Some get restored, some cut grass, some plow and some off-road!:auto-layrubber:If I could get away with going to a bar on a tractor, I probably would too :popcorn:

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
On 8/4/2021 at 8:02 AM, Zeek said:

:text-yeahthat:I restored almost all I had, but that's me for what my purposes were. There are plenty that are sitting in outdoor bone yards rusting away. You made good use of yours. Some get restored, some cut grass, some plow and some off-road!:auto-layrubber:If I could get away with going to a bar on a tractor, I probably would too :popcorn:

done that- 2 miles each way haha.

Just to make you guys feel better, I have restored a couple and made em pretty too.

hoss19.jpg

hoss17.jpg

wh27.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Scotty, have any close up pics of your throttle pedal? Looking for ideas for the diesel. Thanks!

kpinnc

That "Hoss" is sweet! 

• Thanks 1

Greentored
17 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Scotty, have any close up pics of your throttle pedal? Looking for ideas for the diesel. Thanks!

Ill take a couple and post em up this weekend:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Scott,

what’s the little back tab opening on Hoss’ shift plate?

image.jpeg.48f7bdde73c94581c5534349b8de5c44.jpeg 

• Like 2

Lee1977
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

Scott,

what’s the little back tab opening on Hoss’ shift plate?

It shows up on the drawings for B-80 and C-Series 8 Speeds on 74 and 75 models. I'm guessing a low gear lock in tab, don't know why. What ever the purpose they must have changed there minds

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

little back tab opening

4 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

It shows up on the drawings for B-80 and C-Series 8 Speeds on 74 and 75 models. I'm guessing a low gear lock in tab, don't know why. What ever the purpose they must have changed there minds

That's where the seat pan lock lever is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Aaaahhhhh… funny.  I am not used to the later models enough to even notice it!  

• Like 1

Greentored
On 8/7/2021 at 4:09 AM, ebinmaine said:

Thanks!  I truly had no idea myself haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored

Been awhile fellas, its been a crazy summer at work and play.

Update:  I ran the Top Tractor Challenge- it was insane!  Some real gnarly obstacles this year.  12 competitors, 6 courses. I threw a belt on the first course and took a DNF. After course #2 the starter got packed with slop and it wouldnt fire for course 3, another DNF. I took that time to clean the starter and adjust the belt guide and both worked the rest of the day. Course 4 I completely missed an obstacle and got DQ'd:lol:.  The last 3 courses the B-1 and I were dialed in and did very well, netting me an 8th overall, even with 3 incomplete scores!

Aside from the initial belt issue and a muddy starter, the B-1 was flawless, and I wrung it out for all it had- certainly much harder than I ever do on trail cruises. Again, a testament to just how well these Horses were built!

I cannot post videos or finishing placement until our host compiles them into one, but I can tell you a Wheel Horse won the competition, by a long shot!

Yep, some frown on doing this to an original WH, but it is providing a ton of fun instead of sitting in a field rusting away......

ttc3.jpg

ttc1.jpg

ttc2.jpg

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

YEE HAW RIDE ‘EM COWBOY!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

slim67

Just make sure your blood alcohol content is under the legal limit and you’ll be fine👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
43 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Just make sure your blood alcohol content is under the legal limit and you’ll be fine👍

Mine must be higher than it should be… I’m seeing double quotes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Greentored
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I stayed under the legal limit for the competition, but certainly not a .00 haha. He let some of us go play on the course the next day, I was stone cold sober due to needing to drive 8hrs that afternoon. 

.....Aside from climbing the mulch pile (which was pretty mild), I was literally afraid to attempt any of the obstacles I had just crushed the day before:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Greentored
On 8/5/2021 at 11:38 AM, 19richie66 said:

I didnt forget ya buddy. Hang tight!

19richie66
23 minutes ago, Greentored said:

I didnt forget ya buddy. Hang tight!

Oh I’m in no hurry. May be selling it and another anyways.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Sad 1

slim67
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

That’s a test ! How many quotes am I showing? License and registration please.

• Haha 2

slim67
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

I stayed under the legal limit for the competition, but certainly not a .00 haha. He let some of us go play on the course the next day, I was stone cold sober due to needing to drive 8hrs that afternoon. 

.....Aside from climbing the mulch pile (which was pretty mild), I was literally afraid to attempt any of the obstacles I had just crushed the day before:lol:

I don’t drink but a famous cartoon character named Homer Simpson said “ alcohol, the cause and solution to life’s problems “ !

• Haha 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

I don’t drink but a famous cartoon character named Homer Simpson said “ alcohol, the cause and solution to life’s problems “ !

He also said… “Mmmmmmm donuts (or was it beer?).  My one weakness.”  Or something like that!

• Haha 1

slim67
9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

He also said… “Mmmmmmm donuts (or was it beer?).  My one weakness.”  Or something like that!

Donuts are mine😀

• Haha 1

Gregor
On 3/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Greentored said:

D660FFB7-F909-4941-BF7A-920D0F21E36F.jpeg

You don't have to be crazy to do this, but it helps.:wacko:

• Haha 1

tom2p
13 hours ago, Greentored said:

Thanks!  I truly had no idea myself haha.

hmmm ... thought you installed line locks to do some smokey burnouts  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1