Greentored

Time to build a new trail bomber

Greentored
13 hours ago, Gregor said:

You don't have to be crazy to do this, but it helps.:wacko:

He actually built another, much lighter machine. He weighed that cub, it tips the scales at 850 lbs empty. That could be a very bad day if it went over on him.

Coming over backwards is actually the one concern most of us have, and personally is a major limiting factor as far as how brave I will be when it comes to hills. My front tires are loaded with 3 gallons each of RV antifreeze, front bumper is filled with concrete, and I can crawl about 35 degrees max. 'Bombing' a hill at speed is actually easier, but if a tire slips and grabs a root, or the front bounces up over a bump, gotta be real quick on the clutch to get it back down.

Some of these guys are absolute animals,  bombing 40+ degree hills in a wheelie, riding the clutch to keep em down.  I find a way around those hills and they wait for me at the top haha.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Think quads and dirt bikes.  They have extended swing arms to keep the front down.  Can you lengthen the frame a couple inches but keep the seat where it’s at?

Gregor
44 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Coming over backwards is actually the one concern most of us have,

My son was helping unload tractors from a trailer with a beaver tail on Saturday. He was backing off the C-141. He learned not to try and stop half way down. He didn't go over, but he didn't unload any more tractors either !:scared-eek:

• Sad 1

Handy Don
39 minutes ago, Gregor said:

learned not to try and stop half way down

Steep inclines are not great for GTs. Go down backward and risk flipping with a touch of brake. Go down forward and lose traction with a touch of brake. Hmmmm. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

My son was helping unload tractors from a trailer with a beaver tail on Saturday. He was backing off the C-141. He learned not to try and stop half way down. He didn't go over, but he didn't unload any more tractors either !:scared-eek:

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Steep inclines are not great for GTs. Go down backward and risk flipping with a touch of brake. Go down forward and lose traction with a touch of brake. Hmmmm. :lol:

And these are the reasons why Trina and I DO NOT drive our tractors on or off a truck or trailer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
26 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

And these are the reasons why Trina and I DO NOT drive our tractors on or off a truck or trailer.

Agreed!

Low range or hydros can drive themselves!

Tractors that don't run can be pulled on with a strap or use a winch.

I love my tractors, but they aren't worth risking injury or death.

• Like 3

slim67

We’ll leave the craziness to you Scott. I’ll stick to the spectator level on TTC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
21 hours ago, pullstart said:

Think quads and dirt bikes.  They have extended swing arms to keep the front down.  Can you lengthen the frame a couple inches but keep the seat where it’s at?

Oh yeah!  A few guys have stretched the frame and moved the rear back and it helps a bunch. Theres a ton of em up in the Michigan area who stretch the front ends out as much as 2 feet! Lot of high speed atv trails up there I guess and it helps with stability- they also run out of traction long before even thinking about flipping.

There are two distinct types in the offroad mower community- those who will cut and modify and make a 100% capable machine, and other who don't want to go too crazy and lose the 'tractor' part. I am in the second group, and will gladly give up some capabilities to have what many would still consider a tractor.

We are already pushing these things far beyond what they were ever intended for:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
20 hours ago, Handy Don said:

You got that right buddy! Most of us 'lock' the rear axles, not only for traction, but for up AND down hills. If its a greasy decline, a non-locked rear will actually turn one tire backwards if the other gets some grip, and it gets flat out dangerous. Same for inclines- if one tire starts spinning, then happens to grab a root or rock, they can go over violently and without warning. The second scenario is exactly what happened to me early on- on a pretty rough old 654 with a hopped up 11hp OHV.

That is also exactly why I sold the 654 and built something a bit more common and less desirable than beating up a very tired, but functional round hood. The 654 went through 3 more owners in 2 months. I spoke with two of the 'new' owners and they said it was too scary and dangerous to ride:lol:.

In the end, the final owner put it back to stock and pulls a firewood wagon through the woods. Kinda makes me feel good.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Greentored said:

lock' the rear axles,

Are you still running the one where you flipped the pinions? Just wondering how that was holding up...

Greentored
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Are you still running the one where you flipped the pinions? Just wondering how that was holding up...

Yes sir, its this machine! Holding up beautifully, zero issues.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc

The last few comments got me thinking- as scary as that might be...

Didn't some of the D series tractors have disc rotors on the inside of the axle hubs? I would think that for trail riding, a better form of braking like that might be worth looking into. I know D series used a 6 bolt hub, but plenty of compact tractors use 12 inch wheels with 6 stud bolt patterns. Might not be too hard to find a set of wheels to match those hubs that are drilled on the backside for rotors. Mounting a caliper on the tranny would be simple compared to some of the work I've seen here...

Many mountain bikes now use mechanical calipers, and they are very strong. Hydraulics (self contained) even stronger. They use mineral oil as brake fluid.

Anyway, just riding the caffeine wave this morning. Maybe someone can use the idea.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Didn't some of the D series tractors have disc rotors on the inside of the axle hubs? I would think that for trail riding, a better form of braking like that might be worth looking into. I know D series used a 6 bolt hub, but plenty of compact tractors use 12 inch wheels with 6 stud bolt patterns. Might not be too hard to find a set of wheels to match those hubs that are drilled on the backside for rotors. Mounting a caliper on the tranny would be simple compared to some of the work I've seen here...

Many mountain bikes now use mechanical calipers, and they are very strong. Hydraulics (self contained) even stronger. They use mineral oil as brake fluid.

Anyway, just riding the caffeine wave this morning. Maybe someone can use the idea.

@Oldskool has some handmade drum brakes on the back of his Hiram tractor.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

slim67
27 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Steering brakes just like the big tractors!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Yes sir and also a lot of help when you're on steep terrain like I have. I think we all know the Wheelhorse brakes could be a little more "grabby". 

• Like 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes sir and also a lot of help when you're on steep terrain like I have. I think we all know the Wheelhorse brakes could be a little more "grabby". 

Heh... yeah... I start sweating hard when I am around my pond... :hide:

Might... eh... turn my Hell-Horse into a... sea horse...

Don

• Haha 4

kpinnc
34 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Actually that is exactly where my idea is rooted. Years ago there was a discussion here about turning brakes.

• Like 1

Gregor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I think we all know the Wheelhorse brakes could be a little more "grabby". 

Especially on the 876.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Heh... yeah... I start sweating hard when I am around my pond... :hide:

Might... eh... turn my Hell-Horse into a... sea horse...

Don

Absolutely understandable. I don't have any open water that I get the horse near but I do have some streams we cross depending on time of year. I have two hills in particular that have a little bit of Pucker Factor when you're towing heavy going uphill and I've experienced the above mentioned wheel turning backwards/ rolling the wrong way. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Gregor said:

Especially on the 876.

Is there a brake on that at all?

Gregor

Nope !

A parking brake of sorts

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely understandable. I don't have any open water that I get the horse near but I do have some streams we cross depending on time of year. I have two hills in particular that have a little bit of Pucker Factor when you're towing heavy going uphill and I've experienced the above mentioned wheel turning backwards/ rolling the wrong way. 

Well, what gave me issues was towing loads of pea gravel rock out to put in pond for fish spawning bed. Backing down to the pond. Really have to work for that...:auto-swerve:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Nope !

A parking brake of sorts

Heck, I'd just put a parachute on it for going downhill... :banana-parachute:

Don

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Nope !

A parking brake of sorts

Same as my 70 Charger hydro. Luckily I'll be using that on the flatter areas of the yard, only.

Greentored

Been a while fellas, life has been crazy. 

17 of us did a 3 day 'mowverlanding' trip in Kentucky a few weeks ago- over 30 miles of trails, mud, hills, and some back road riding. it was wild!  

So, if you're bored and have a half hour to spare, give it a watch:lol:

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3