Greentored

Time to build a new trail bomber

meadowfield
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I know there's been a couple threads about locking or limited slip in the past and the idea always just fascinates me to no end.

It is to some extent practical for me where I have such a rough terrain but the engineering and thought processes are what really gets me.  

If I had a machine shop I'd be dangerous!

I've wondered if there was some sort of a way to replace the pinion gears inside of an eight-speed with a set of clutches or a large circular spring.....

I spent so long trying to cook up ways - however decided to go for the coolest and most effective :D

once locked mine is unstoppable, but it is a pig to turn... as the differentials are essential on an articulated tractor!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

DennisThornton

My 1055 Bolens has an adjustable positraction clutch, cone I think and one of the reasons I recently drove 3 hours round trip to bring it home.  I'm using it around the place now but I really haven't tested it yet.  I've also not done much research about it but I think it's a locked rear with a slip clutch on the left.  Not aware of other brands that have this but I read rave reviews and I wonder why we don't see this more often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
53 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

My 1055 Bolens has an adjustable positraction clutch, cone I think and one of the reasons I recently drove 3 hours round trip to bring it home.  I'm using it around the place now but I really haven't tested it yet.  I've also not done much research about it but I think it's a locked rear with a slip clutch on the left.  Not aware of other brands that have this but I read rave reviews and I wonder why we don't see this more often.

The 64 Simplicity I just unloaded had one on the right rear side, and from my limited learning about them, that was a pretty common Simplicity 'thing'. Never messed with it while I had it, but apparently it is some form of set screw adjustable setup, a solid center axle inside a larger drive 'tube' or something along that line. Upon quick inspection it looked too complicated to try adapting to a WH.  Might certainly be worth researching though!

• Like 2

Greentored

...and if we REALLY want to get crazy, imagine a planetary gearset out of an automatic transmission adapted to drive one tire. Apply the clutch pack via a lever- BAM, 40mph:lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton

For several uses I'd rather have a full time locked rear but of course not for lawn use. 

Now if there was a reasonable way to still allow one wheel to slip a bit, something external the transaxle and adjustable, or just on and off, again, but external the trans.  A limited slip clutch on the axle or a limited slip wheel...   No idea how but if...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

a reasonable way to still allow one wheel to slip a bit, something external the transaxle and adjustable, or just on and off, again, but external the trans.  A limited slip clutch on the axle or a limited slip wheel

This here Bear up in Maine would be very interested in that. 

• Like 1

meadowfield

if the differential was bevel gears, then it's easier to modify to make limited slip. Using straight cut spur gears means there is no thrust loading to enable any friction...

the only thing that works is to lock the diff, or brake the wheel that loses traction like modern traction control - or the independant brakes on a D series.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, meadowfield said:

if the differential was bevel gears, then it's easier to modify to make limited slip. Using straight cut spur gears means there is no thrust loading to enable any friction...

the only thing that works is to lock the diff, or brake the wheel that loses traction like modern traction control - or the independant brakes on a D series.

Yep!  We need a WH trans with locking diff and independant brakes!  Gonna cause me to buy a different brand someday...

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

Yep!  We need a WH trans with locking diff and independant brakes!  Gonna cause me to buy a different brand someday...

That won't be enough to do it for me. I'd rather modify a Horse. 

@Greentored not to steal your thread or anything but... @meadowfield or whoever else, what does it take to add side brakes to these?

• Like 1

DennisThornton
Just now, ebinmaine said:

That won't be enough to do it for me. I'd rather modify a Horse. 

@Greentored not to steal your thread or anything but... @meadowfield or whoever else, what does it take to add side brakes to these?

A Cub or Deere.

meadowfield

adding the brake is doable - look as masseys thread on the crawler from 10 years ago... (I'm guessing massey and 10 years - but it was so awesome it is unforgettable)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

A Cub or Deere.

I don't mind some of the Cubs but Trina and I are long time not fans of Deere's and unless somebody literally gave us one for nothing they'll never be one in my yard..

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't mind some of the Cubs but Trina and I are long time not fans of Deere's and unless somebody literally gave us one for nothing they'll never be one in my yard..

I meant to rob the brakes from. 

I have a Cub 147, Bolens and some old Sears, never owned a Deere but if a nice 300 or 400 series shows up at a great price I will.  Might hate it later...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

meant to rob the brakes from

Ahhh.  Yeah yeah.  

We've got wire brushes to remove the paint..

:lol:

• Haha 2

AHS
On 11/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, ebinmaine said:

Interesting idea that I haven't run across yet. 

Something you've done in the past or figured out?

I'll be super curious to see how that works out for you. 

I've considered locking one of mine but haven't done it yet because I do have a couple of sharp turns in the forest and I don't want to break stuff...

I don’t want to break stuff?? Are you kidding me! That what’s this wheel horse stuff was about anyway!! I will have to admit, not in the winter time in Maine..nope!

• Like 1

Greentored

Being the idiot that I am, I posted this on the wrong thread yesterday.

Anyhow, this 'locking diff' stuff got in my head and in true 'full squirrel' fashion I whipped up this simple, crude, and not-to-scale model, direct from brain to lathe. I think it would work!

This is somewhat of a spinoff of @meadowfield absolutely amazing design. If this works I may owe him royalties if I become a 'hundredaire' :lol:

lock1.jpg

lock2.jpg

• Like 1

meadowfield

good luck making money out of that!!!!  I've a few more ideas for diff locks... but keeping them to myself for now - can't be outdone by anyone! :lol:

• Thanks 1

Greentored
7 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

good luck making money out of that!!!!  I've a few more ideas for diff locks... but keeping them to myself for now - can't be outdone by anyone! :lol:

Thanks buddy!  If someone sees this and wants to devote this much time and effort into something that may not work, they can have at it:lol:

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 2

meadowfield
1 minute ago, Greentored said:

Thanks buddy!  If someone sees this and wants to devote this much time and effort into something that may not work, they can have at it:lol:

thats why I did a video - anyone is welcome to spend a fortnight chopping up a perfectly good 8 speed to put a diff lock in...

:D

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
On 12/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, Greentored said:

...and if we REALLY want to get crazy, imagine a planetary gearset out of an automatic transmission adapted to drive one tire. Apply the clutch pack via a lever- BAM, 40mph:lol:

The diesel pullers are putting planetaries in the cub trannies, but I think they use it in the inverse. They are using it to spin the tranny faster to reduce the amount of torque in the transmission. Those diesels are putting out some serious power. 

Randy

• Like 2

Greentored

Got some bills to pay and need to move some Horse inventory, but raided the parts and made a little progress. Going to run a C gas tank out back in tandem with the B tank. 
 No 30mph wheelie machine this time ha, going more for a 15-18mph utility machine. Pretty sure it’s gonna be Kohler powered since I have somehow acquired a stack of K301s. 
Since it started as a B100, think I’ll name it the B-1 bomber! 

BD28C108-3ABB-496B-8FF6-998780CBE972.jpeg

0CDF0BEF-31BE-4B37-82DA-3D90E3B2CDFA.jpeg

• Like 2

19richie66

Be good trail machine with that much fuel capacity. Have to check it out someday. I think you’re a couple hours away from me. 

• Like 2

Greentored
On 12/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, 19richie66 said:

Be good trail machine with that much fuel capacity. Have to check it out someday. I think you’re a couple hours away from me. 

You finally get all settled in?

Still having thoughts about putting a plow day together?  I didnt forget that haha.

19richie66

Don’t know about a plow day but sometime next year I would like to have a meet n greet. All depends on what’s happening in the world. :laughing-rolling: Should be starting on the shop roof after the new year if things go as planned. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Greentored

Update: locked myself in the shop after work Friday minus one trip to the store for a belt and exhaust elbow. Raided parts, swiped tires off the ‘for sale’ section for now, 22 hours later including a full nights sleep, the B1 bomber drove out under its own power! 
Plenty left to do, like brakes, wiring correctly instead of twisting and masking taping ha, lights, side exit exhaust, belt guard etc, but it lives. 
The stock, tires K321 is more than enough for this👍

9940E67D-09A0-4D21-AC6C-1E1983E6C381.jpeg

05ECB387-C45C-4EC7-916B-0F622E9AC958.jpeg

3DAA814E-4791-4384-8D24-3F9B6B4E14C2.jpeg

8FB574AE-62AA-4981-8305-F2DB07B01653.jpeg

0DBC6FEE-E1CA-4100-89D1-05EDA836E2D5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3