Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Best Way To Remove Wheels....

71_Bronco

I am going to be working on my Lawn Ranger, and need to remove the wheels from the transmission. On this particular model, the "hub" is part of the wheel itself, not a separate piece.

I have the seat / fenders / box off, so I have access to the inside of the wheels.

Should I just try knocking them off with a dead blow? Or make some kind of puller that wraps around the back of the wheels?

Disclaimer: I have not tried anything yet, just getting ideas on what I may need to do. Hopefully they come right off.

20200716_191957.jpg.0022076a2407ddcf86475ffbaa7f32dd.jpg

20200716_192007.jpg.6f6beacb232f53dd36b7b92d2cd7c22a.jpg

squonk

I think you need to build some kind of puller. If you wack the wheel too hard, I believe you will end up pulling an axle out of the trans.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

If that is a 1962 Lawn Ranger, Your axles should have the roll pin through them.  You're not going to pull those axles out of the transmission.  If they seem stuck, you might try driving around in a figure 8 while keeping an eye on the rims.  They should loosen up, but don't be driving and have one fall off while you are on it.  :notworthy:  Here, hold my beer and watch this.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco
47 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If that is a 1962 Lawn Ranger, Your axles should have the roll pin through them.  You're not going to pull those axles out of the transmission.  If they seem stuck, you might try driving around in a figure 8 while keeping an eye on the rims.  They should loosen up, but don't be driving and have one fall off while you are on it.  :notworthy:  Here, hold my beer and watch this.  :orcs-cheers:

Correct, a '62 Lawn Ranger, with the 1/4" roll pin through the axle on the inside.

Per my manual, it looks like the wheels each have a grub screw (like regular hubs) over the key.

• Thanks 1

squonk

I have seen those pinned axles come out along with pieces of the trans

• Like 1
  • Sad 1