Kevinm

48 inch deck

Kevinm

I have an opportunity to get a 48 inch deck for my 520H. Its branded Toro, but it looks like it has a tach o matic set up. the model number is 78290. Will this fit my machine

lynnmor

That is for an XT, it would take major modifications to make it fit.

bds1984

The deck shell should have the holes in it for you to attach the deck mounting hardware from a 48" deck from a 3/4/5/C series deck.  Once you do that, you should only have to switch over the spindle shafts and pulleys and belt tensioner system.  I did that swap a few years ago which was relatively easy.  I basically took the hardware off a rotted out  48"deck and swapped it over onto a brand new deck that was set up for a vertical shaft powered machine.  If you have all the parts in front of you, it can be done in a couple hours.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

bds1984, great response to the issue ! you made it sound like I was doing it with you , the fact that you adapted and fit existing parts to make it work , is what we should be doing more often, thank you for your reply , pete 

bds1984

Yes, they are slightly different on the bracketry end, but an angle grinder took care of that interference issue in my case.  

I thought I had a thread detailing my deck conversion but there is a picture of it here in post #34 of this thread.  

Kevinm

What modifications would be required to make a 48 inch xt deck fit a 520H?  I have a complete metal shop and can pretty much fabricate any type of bracket. It looks like the deck pulley would work with the mule drive.

echris

@bds1984 I don't think this is the same deck which you did that killer mod on. It's close, but not the same. The front idler wheel brackets are completely different.

@Kevinm This is the deck you're talking about, correct? I saw it on Facebook marketplace a few days ago and asked about it in the implements section of the forum.

120107148_1908793785946440_1292292430122120570_o.jpg

121545327_402600874473559_6515746189614046307_n.jpg

Kevinm

Yes. That's the one. Its only a few miles from my house. I could replicate or modify  almost any part on the frame. I may take a shot at it. Not sure why Toro would make such a radical change on something that has been working for years. My biggest concern is making sure the mule works with it.