WHNJ701

A machinist pulley question

WHNJ701

How difficult is it to have a engine pulley sheave cut/made?  It's a 3 groove, 3 1/4" dia, 1"bore keyed.  If so does anyone know or recommend anyone that can?  I need to have a back up plan just in case.....

IMG_20201012_123126.jpg

76c12091520h

No question we could do it; that being said, it may be cheaper/ easier to find another if possible. We would first need the existing pulley in hand to reverse engineer/ get exact dimensions from. Then you would need to choose your material, whether it be steel or aluminum. I would be willing to say that if you walked into a machine shop that was willing to take it on, and you were just an ordinary retail customer , you'd be looking at $150-$200 minimum.

• Thanks 1

pacer

Yeah, its a pretty straight forward machining project - I've got a pretty nice home shop with the lathe to do it ... but, I do not have the necessary broach to cut the keyway! A broach set is quite expensive and you have to have the necessary press to perform the cut ---- so, we come back to what was said in the previous post. Unless you can find a friend, or maybe some one you could barter with, etc .... I expect the previous estimate of $150-200 is pretty close.

Or you can drive down here to La with the piece of metal you wanna make it out of and I'll chuck it up and turn it just for something to do!! I'm out of projects at the moment and being retired and this Covid mess restricting ---- BUT... you'd still have to find a way to broach the key way:wacko:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you'd have come between hurricanes too.......:ranting:

Edited by pacer
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I can't turn it but I can broach your key way... New Jersey to Louisiana to Northeast Pa ...No problem...

• Thanks 1

CCW

Is there a local voc school or good high school metal programs nearby?  Not many around.  Fortunately I have a friend here who might be tempted if I brought this to him.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
3 hours ago, CCW said:

Is there a local voc school or good high school metal programs nearby?  Not many around.  Fortunately I have a friend here who might be tempted if I brought this to him.

It's a shame, schools around here shut most of that useful stuff down

WHNJ701

Cool, so we got options it can be done!  I highly doubt another pulley will turn up and I am sure it would be in the same price range.  There is an old repair on mine, you can kinda see it in the photo (engine side top). Looks like bronze or something??  If the engine runs ok I am leaving the pulley attached, it's aligned correctly with the reverse disc and belts.

if not I will attempt to pull it off.  Dealing with an uncommon tractor,  engine, and parts.  

CCW
22 hours ago, jabelman said:

How difficult is it to have a engine pulley sheave cut/made?  It's a 3 groove, 3 1/4" dia, 1"bore keyed.  If so does anyone know or recommend anyone that can?  I need to have a back up plan just in case.....

IMG_20201012_123126.jpg

If I were trying to pull this off I would be looking at pulling from the center pulley where there is the thickest wall section.

oilwell1415

Like the other guys said, this would be a piece of cake to do if you had a lathe and a broach.  I don't know why, but I have broach at work.  Just no lathe anymore.  I think they might be a little light on the cost.  A 12" stick of 3" A36 steel to start with is probably going to cost you $120-125, but that will drop if your pulley is smaller that that.  A 2.5" stick of the same material is less than half that cost.  It's also going to take quite a bit of machine time.  Off the shelf pulleys are cast in the basic shape they have to be and only need finish machining.  Cutting those grooves on a lathe is going to take some time.  It wouldn't surprise me if it cost $300-400.  Cheapo off the shelf 3 row pulleys start around $40-50 with the benefits of mass production.  A better alternative if the dimensions work out might be to get three individual pulleys and mount them side by side.

• Like 1

Lost Pup

5-IMG_3271.JPG

I did machine my own deck pulley. I used steel. Fun project, tons of chips.

Here the thread 

Edited by Lost Pup