C_hasbeen

Ingersoll and a Kohler question

C_hasbeen

I saw an ad for an Ingersoll 224 tractor with all kind's of neat hydraulics on it, a snow blade, new tires and a fresh rebuilt engine along with new wiring harness a and the list went on and on, it was priced very low and three hour drive from me so I figured it was gone and he never killed the ad, after seeing it for a couple of weeks I inquired and it was available, I made the trip knowing that something was not right if it was still around but the price of the hydraulics alone was the entire tractor asking price.

When I arrived he had moved it out to the corner of the drive, I looked at it it started right up and idles, revved up ok and moved on it's own power nicely.  it had some hydraulic leaks at flare fittings that was more of an annoyance than an issue in my mind.  I asked what his bottom dollar and he dropped the price a hundred bucks  and said if I would load it up I could go to his son's shop and have any of the spare parts I wanted, well I said sure I will take what you don't need.

Well long story short I wound up with two decks, the tractor and blade and a pickup load of parts included another set of rear wheels wheel weights, an entire transaxle and hydraulics to put another tractor together mostly  .

All the way home I was wondering what had gone wrong in his engine rebuild that was going to show up, he did tell me he had to use a john deere block which was bored 30 over and the crank was 20 under and the carb was new. 

After unloading all the goodies and sorting through them and stashing them in various open spaces in my shed and shop I ran the engine for a while drove it around the yard, hooked it to my pickup and pulled until the tires spun, I then noticed it has what sounded like a rod knockings but only at mid throttle, so I thought maybe ignition knock so I tightened up the carb mounting bolts, checked the gap on the plug checked points and wound up decreasing the point gap to about .014 to get the knock to settle down.  

I put the points back to .020 and did a static timing check and my points are opening at a little past the mid point on the top dead center and the spark marks on the fly wheel.

Now the Question???   do you think he may have the cam shaft off one tooth?  I figure to have to yank it out and pull the pan to make sure but wanted one of the experts to offer any insight as I don't know for sure.

Here are a few pictures and you may be able to see why I could not pass this up at $850 folding money.

224 Ingersoll (5).jpg

224 Ingersoll (7).jpg

224 Ingersoll (10).jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHNJ701

You did really well, the case 200 series is one the toughest an capable machines out there. 

Not really sure the answer on the knock, is the oil correct weight?  correct spark plug?

C_hasbeen
23 minutes ago, jabelman said:

You did really well, the case 200 series is one the toughest an capable machines out there. 

Not really sure the answer on the knock, is the oil correct weight?  correct spark plug?

Humm I did not think that the incorrect spark plug was used, I need to check to see what is in it and what is supposed to be and it would be nice if that was the issue

ebinmaine

VERY nice find. 

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

Solved the knock!  I pulled the engine, yanked off the pan, checked crank end play, rod to journal clearance, cam shaft end play, all within Kohler specs...I even checked the fuel pump for slack on the shaft but could find nothing wrong in a fresh engine.  Put it together and was feeling kind of silly for the huge effort to remove this engine.  When I was putting tin back on I noticed some oil at the corner of the head, checked torque and the righters bolt was 10 ft lbs. While reading the owners manual for this specific tractor on what oil to put back in I spied the spark plugs is to be gapped at .035 not the .025 that was on a Kohler print out I saw.   Every thing back together now no knock smooth run and easy start.  Tomorrow I will check the carburator setup and call it good.   Loose bolts!  Just loose bolts and plug gap!  Worth keeping in the back of my mind for sure

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack

Those are extremely solid and capable machines.  I have owned a Case 224 for about 20 years.  It is now my daughters tractor as I have passed it on to her but she is helping me mow the lawn with it weekly.  We have used it for snowthrowing, furrow plowing, cultivating, etc.  they are durable tractors that didn’t change much over the decades.  Well worth the price of admission and the one you got looks to be in really decent shape.  Good find!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If indeed, them things are anywhere near as dependable and bulletproof as the Case line of construction equipment is, then I envy your score there.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

One of the most under rated and under valued tractor out there

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1