bottjernat1

1979 Simplicity Snow Buster

bottjernat1

So I made out like a bandit this weekend I sold the huskee mower took my wifes cousin his $250 he gave me $150. Then he gave me a brand new weed beater a small mantis tiller its like new and a homelite chainsaw for free. Then my son in laws dad who isn't the best mechanic in the world but a heck of a nice guy asked if I could help him out. His 212 jd had no spark he bought a new coil and condenser. I told him to check the points didn't know he doesn't know how to mess with them nor does he want to. So I sanded and set them. And presto I got the engine running for him. So he gave me 2 tiny snow blowers both which I got running the same day.  I got 1 of them up for sale the other I have more tinkering to do. He also threw in a extra motor and paid me $20 to boot. But the best was my cousins husband I returned the snapper zero turn and he gave me a 1979 simplicity 524 snowbuster.  I got it home greased it all up cleaned the points and set them and sprayed it and she popped off. I was excited but then I took the carb off and found out it is not rebuildable major old fuel and water damage. So i am going to buy a new carb. This was a super awesome score weekend!!  The snow buster seems to be all there and original from the looks.

IMG_20200926_160208311.jpg

IMG_20200926_160200675.jpg

IMG_20200926_160212289.jpg

IMG_20200926_160222719.jpg

IMG_20200927_125631595.jpg

IMG_20200926_160135267.jpg

• Like 2

echris

That is a really weird machine. In the 5 years I worked in the shop in the 80's, I can't remember ever seeing a snowblower with that style of a second stage. And we serviced everything in that place.

I really curious to know how it performs in the snow.

Nice score!

• Like 1

bottjernat1
On 10/2/2020 at 11:22 PM, echris said:

I really curious to know how it performs in the snow.

Nice score!

Here is the same basic one. just a bigger motor. I have been told by folks on a couple simplicity Facebook pages. to be careful this thing will really launch the  snow.  

• Like 1

bottjernat1

Would anyone know what the gap on the points is on this motor? it had a 15 stamped by the points so i set them at that.

echris
8 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

Would anyone know what the gap on the points is on this motor? it had a 15 stamped by the points so i set them at that.

Most that I worked on, if I remember correctly were between 15 and 20, so usually set them at about 18 thou. Rule of thumb used to be a matchbook cover was just about right. ;)

• Like 1

bottjernat1

She lives again!! 

• Like 1

echris

She runs and drives. Nice. Bet ya can't wait for that 1st snow storm just for fun. ;)

• Like 1