MDHEIS

Help Needed 244-H, Tracking down Electrical Issue

MDHEIS

Hello, 

I have a 244-H Model 72041. I don't know a lot about its past besides it shut off mid Mowing and the owner gave up and let it sit for 2 years in his backyard. I got it home and put on a new battery and tried to see if it would turn over. Hit the key nothing, Looked and saw the 25 amp fuse was blown and replaced it, Tried again it blew the same fuse. Any ideas what could cause this issue?  

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

This manual should help.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Garry

• Thanks 1

953 nut
16 hours ago, MDHEIS said:

Tried again it blew the same fuse.

:WRS:

Sounds like a wire may have become frayed and is contacting the frame or body of the :wh:. red wire from your starter solenoid goes directly to the 25 Amp fuse and then to the ignition switch "B" terminal. If I am reading this correctly the fuse blows when you turn the key to start. Begin by inspecting all the wires in the "START" path as shown on the drawing, visual inspection mya find the problem. The relays are under the battery and after several years the fumes from the battery can cause corrosion on the terminals.

Remove the blown fuse and replace it with a 12 volt test light. With the PTO off, have someone hold the key in the start position and begin inspecting and moving the wires. The light will stay lit until you find the faulted wire and remove it from ground.

772253614_Screenshot(54).png.6df5543da0a15231567e922cf017e6d2.png

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Cleaned up the main drawing a bit

Garry

244 p9.jpg

244 p10 Start.jpg

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

If you go back up to the Demystification Guide link you can get a colored and corrected 5 pages of wiring in pdf format. There were a few errors in the original.

Garry

• Thanks 1

MDHEIS

Thanks for the help guys.... I have traced the wires haven’t found an obvious grounded wire. Could it possibly be the Switch itself? 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

That is a possibility.

Here is how you test the switch. Click on the picture and more will come up or download the pdf

Garry

• Like 1

MDHEIS

Bingo! We have a winner. It was the ignition switch. I found it had a direct short when it was in the run position. We need to add how to check for a short in the ignition switch to the guide. I checked continuity from G to B in run and it had continuity so grabbed a new one and my horse is galloping now! Thanks for all the wiring diagrams and helpful information you guys are great! Will post a pic soon! 

• Excellent 1