ebinmaine

What valve spring compressor should I buy for small engines?

ebinmaine

I've been thinking about getting one anyways and someone is interested in valves that I have in a Tecumseh HH100..

Seems like a perfect time to get one coming.

I would like it to have broad usage across all makes if possible.

I don't want to spend a ton but I'm not above investing properly for a tool that will last forever.

What do you use and why?

BOB ELLISON

I bought this little valve spring compression tool and it works great on small engines. From $20.00 to $35.00 . They work well in the tight space of the Kohler. 

s-l400.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

EB, you been practicing your welding lately?  There was good discussion in that thread about other compressors too.  They sure are handy buggers, though I’ve done it with my 5 hands, a few extra toes, tongue stuck out sideways, some sockets, screwdrivers and a whole lotta luck in the past!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

A dab of grease holds the keepers onto the valve stem while the spring is depressed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

I have more than a half dozen valve spring compressors and none work particularly well on small engines.  I think that the one shown by Bob might be as good as any.  YMMV

• Like 2

bc.gold

For the small F-head engines  this style of spring compressor gives big thumbs more room in an already constricted space.

comp.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 3

WHX??

I've got one of these and it's a cheap POS but it lays on the shelf a lot so for how often I use it :confusion-shrug: Just a tad better than a a couple a screwdrivers. 

• Like 1

bc.gold
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I've got one of these and it's a cheap POS but it lays on the shelf a lot so for how often I use it :confusion-shrug: Just a tad better than a a couple a screwdrivers. 

I've always been pleased with tools made by Lisle an American company, not to be confused with some Chinese knockoff.

The trick of using the c-clamp style is to give the screw a turn or slightly more to add pressure onto the valve spring, then tap the top of the thumb screw  lightly with a dead blow.

This action breaks the bond, now  your ready to fully compress the spring.

Lisle Corporation has been manufacturing custom tools for over 100 years! Check out our website to see our selection: from battery brushes to mechanic

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, bcgold said:

For the small F-head engines  this style of spring compressor gives big thumbs more room in an already constricted space.

comp.png

I have one of these and it works “OK”. The one problem I have with it is sometimes the bottom black piece Wants to pivot on the single bolt that holds it square. I’ve tightened that bolt as tight as I can get it several times. I’m ready to weld it.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

They all work, but the big C clamp frees up both hands and allows more room to work on the keepers.

102_2216.JPG.01a7e836dd1b08fa436d9fb9fdbd23c6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

C clamp frees up both hands and allows more room to work on the keepers.

That is what I use, for the keepers I use a spring loaded tool with magnetic jaws. Just put the keepers on the magnets, line them up on the stem and release the valve spring will push the tool down capturing the keepers.

K-D 605 SPLIT Valve Keeper Inserter Pliers - $19.95 | PicClick

• Like 3