Sign in to follow this  
Just Piddling

A day of surprises

Just Piddling

I called about a 857 listed for $200 needing TLC. The lady told me it had not run in 1 1/2 years, was real rusty with flat tires. It was local, so I took my dad to take a look. We get there and was surprised with the condition. After inspecting for a while, I'm thinking I'll offer $125. Just when I started to open my mouth, Dad asked what was the least she would take. Her response was $75. I couldn't say "I'll take it " fast enough.

We load it up, get it home before the rain. After a little carb cleaning, she fired right up. It will only run at full choke, so a kit is on order. It looks like it will only need a repairs and some welds on the deck hanger.

It has new Carlisles on the front and a new battery. The charge light and cig lighter work. The rears are WH, but fairly rotted.

IMG000361-1.jpg

WHC-125

Great Find :omg: What a steal :drool: Even looks like a new engine

stevasaurus

nice find...I love the 857's...she will plow snow good too.

with it choked to run, it has to be sucking air from somehwere...bad carb gasket would be easy...maybe a hair line crack in the carb. Might be why they they changed the engine. With it running, you can spray the carb with WD-40 or something...and if it quits you stopped the air flow.

just a thought. :omg:

Coadster32

Nice find, and at a robbers price. :omg: We could all learn something from dad huh!

Just Piddling

Nice find, and at a robbers price. :omg: We could all learn something from dad huh!

It shows you're never too old to learn from your pop.

We normally do something every Saturday, from fishing tournaments to just piddling. This year, we cut back on the tournaments a little so we could take my boy more.

The wife also spends most Saturdays with her mom.

bell

Sounds like a good day!!!

NICE Score! :omg:

Just Piddling

nice find...I love the 857's...she will plow snow good too.

with it choked to run, it has to be sucking air from somehwere...bad carb gasket would be easy...maybe a hair line crack in the carb. Might be why they they changed the engine. With it running, you can spray the carb with WD-40 or something...and if it quits you stopped the air flow.

just a thought. :omg:

When I disassembled the carb, the seal for the bowl was distorted and would not fit back in. I'm sure that ain't good. :drool:

Thanks for the reminder on spraying around the carb. I used to know that but forgot today. Too excited I guess.

kpinnc

Nice find Chris!

You're making me wish I had checked on it when you told me! :omg:

Kevin

d180man

Hi nice buy and find! :omg: