Benny333

270-H won’t start

Benny333

Hopefully one of the experts can help here. I have a 270-H or HE that came with the house I recently purchased. First issue was that the engine did not turn over. Just relay clicks. Replaced the solenoid side of the starter/solenoid. Turned the key and the engine turned over maybe once. Then nothing again. First thought was the charging system so I used a jump pack on the battery and nothing. It’s a fairly new battery. The only other thing maybe the wiring harness. I’m no electrician by any stretch but I believe I made a new harness correctly. (Took video and followed it back) My question is two fold. Are there diodes on the harness? Where and how many. And of course the obvious, can someone cure my insanity? Thank you everyone. :-)

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have the model number and serial number?

Model numbers are 72106, 72108, 72110, 72115 and 72116.

The serial number identifies the model year.

We may have some good diagrams that will help.

Garry

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Benny333 said:

And of course the obvious, can someone cure my insanity?

Well. No.  

:lol:

:text-welcomeconfetti:. To :rs:

We're either the best or the worst for clearing Wheelhorse addiction. 

953 nut

:WRS:

With any electrical issue the first thing to do is clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Many times this will cure the problem. Also, be sure the transmission is in neutral and the PTO is off.

Garry has a great deal of information on all models of :wh: so be sure to give him the model number. If you don't find a model number the information off the engine would be helpful.

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Download the file you need, maybe it is this one.

You might want to put the battery on a charger for ten hours and try again.  If a battery was allowed to discharge completely and left discharged, it can be wasted no matter how new it is.  Most auto supply stores offer free battery tests, just attempt to charge it before taking it to be tested.

After you are sure that you have battery power, use the above file to troubleshoot.

Benny333

Thanks for the replies everyone. The previous owner painted it black and the only serial number I have is inside the hood (pic). Looking at the schematics I pulled from the site, it looks like it’s a 270. I can’t find anything else. Hopefully I am missing it though. I plan on restoring it to original this winter to amend the travesty that was done to it. Tested the battery at 12.25 and load tested at 11.61 if that helps. I did replace both coils and spaced them. Possible I didn’t space properly? Idk

image.jpg

Benny333

Found it

image.jpg

gwest_ca

Kohler made the engine in 1999 and Spec number 65531 was only used in 2000-2002 model 72108.

Safe to say your tractor is a 2000 model 72108 with a 200xxxxxx serial number.

Here are the wiring diagrams for this model

Garry

Benny333

Thanks Garry. Crossing my fingers