JustinW.73

856 Restoration redo

JustinW.73

Was having a hard time with the krylon cherry red. Either paint was pink or just didn’t leave a good finish. Switched to rustoleum sunrise red as my powder coated parts matched perfectly and love the color. Anyone have tips on the rustoleum, how to get a nice mirror like finish. I know cans are hard to do that with but not impossible. Mine looks a little ripply, (close up pic) which is weird because I did the belt guard and looked amazing. 

A611CE53-5820-46F9-A682-575BAB42CCD8.jpeg

D85ACDB6-200C-4CE0-A639-EAA89A10AD93.jpeg

6A5B39B5-09B0-4D05-8D11-3602C25F9330.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ACman

:greetings-clappingyellow: looks very nice ! Most of us here use rustoleum regal red but I get having to match the powder coat . Had to use sunshine red to match the powder coat on my RJ . Lots of elbow grease with wet sanding and buffing to get that glass finish. @AMC RULES just did a incredible finish on his 854 . Hopefully he’ll chime in for some tips and tricks . -

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

JustinW.73
59 minutes ago, ACman said:

:greetings-clappingyellow: looks very nice ! Most of us here use rustoleum regal red but I get having to match the powder coat . Had to use sunshine red to match the powder coat on my RJ . Lots of elbow grease with wet sanding and buffing to get that glass finish. @AMC RULES just did a incredible finish on his 854 . Hopefully he’ll chime in for some tips and tricks . -

Yeah besides the fact it matched better I just liked the sunrise better. I know wheel horse changed the color a few times and regal looked more like a 3,4 or 500 series paint color. 

Racinbob

It's hard to explain. Most importantly make sure the primered surface is perfect and spotlessly clean.  The better it is the better the finish. If you don't get enough on it will be dull, too much and of course it will run. Don't believe what it says on the can about waiting 48 hours to recoat. That's not nearly long enough. I got frustrated with it wrinkling even after a couple weeks so I don't do that anymore. I'll wait until the weather is just right, warm and low humidity. I'll hit it with a coat and just wait a few minutes and hit it again. When I'm happy with the way it looks I'm done. This Suburban hood is done. No wet sanding, no buffing. It got a coat of wax a couple months later. :)

555593076_SubHood0212162.JPG.7d6bab585cf02b96d0d5da21c9b6d944.JPG

1966418432_SubHood012616a.JPG.03dde8ad1883070abeec5cd583b83465.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

JustinW.73
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

It's hard to explain. Most importantly make sure the primered surface is perfect and spotlessly clean.  The better it is the better the finish. If you don't get enough on it will be dull, too much and of course it will run. Don't believe what it says on the can about waiting 48 hours to recoat. That's not nearly long enough. I got frustrated with it wrinkling even after a couple weeks so I don't do that anymore. I'll wait until the weather is just right, warm and low humidity. I'll hit it with a coat and just wait a few minutes and hit it again. When I'm happy with the way it looks I'm done. This Suburban hood is done. No wet sanding, no buffing. It got a coat of wax a couple months later. :)

555593076_SubHood0212162.JPG.7d6bab585cf02b96d0d5da21c9b6d944.JPG

1966418432_SubHood012616a.JPG.03dde8ad1883070abeec5cd583b83465.JPG

It’s hard to tell in your pic. Do you get a mirror finish or is it more similar to how mine is looking?

• Like 1

rjg854

I'm pretty sure @AMC RULES used a clear coat as a final coat to get the shine on his 854

• Like 1

ACman

You might want to scroll back through this thread a bit , lots of good information  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

Racinbob
2 hours ago, JustinW.73 said:

It’s hard to tell in your pic. Do you get a mirror finish or is it more similar to how mine is looking?

It's a mirror finish. People who see it in person are hard to convince that it's a rattle can job. No clear coat. I've tried that in the past but it never worked for me. :)

• Like 2

8ntruck

Looks to me like you have what is called orangepeel.  That usually is caused by laying down a coat of paint that is too thick. Several light coats are usually better than one heavy coat.

Sometimes the viscosity of the paint is a factor.  I'vs had good luck warming the spray can by running warm water over it until it feels warm to the touch.  You will need to keep shaking the can until all of the paint inside is warmed.

Rustoleum can also be wet sanded and buffed to a high gloss if necessary.

Good luck.

• Like 1

JustinW.73

Been hauling today and will also tomorrow to try to get painting done. Going to be getting cold after this weekend so need to get it done. Fenders and belt guard is done. Tank and tank bracket is almost done. Also got the dash, battery box, and hood bracket done. Engine is installed. One front wheel is mounted. Don’t have pics on all of this but will post more soon. Liking how it’s turning out so far. 

E61E1C6C-952E-4D4A-A18A-F5E68CF3CDBD.jpeg

043115C3-BEDE-4E5F-B019-412800546909.jpeg

7EE094A1-B0CA-449E-8BD3-50CB4A405BB4.jpeg

• Like 2

ACman

looking good.... :popcorn:

• Like 1