JoeM

XI Hydro Plate Repair

JoeM

Picked up an 522 xi a while back. It was suffering from a weak hydro. The PO said, when it warms up, it will not pull a hill but ran okay on the flat. I ran it around a bit and it defiantly slows after a while. The owner said oil was changed on schedule with Amsoil synthetic. Meter shows just over 1k.

Looked it over and seen a couple issues. One, the hydro area was packed with debris. Next it seemed like the linkage was not right. Even when the oil was cold it wasn't as smooth like my other machines. Oil was full and clean. Filter was newer. The rear tires were loaded and weighed 115 each. 

I figured the hydro was cooked due to the lack of cooling. I did find the linkage plate worn pretty bad. I have an extra hydro and priced a new plate $$ 40 big ones so I thought I would repair the old one and wanted to share the pics. I welded the worn cam also but forgot to take a pic. 

I know you guys will look at pictures of anything! LOL (me too) I threw in a pic of the gearing also.  

Hope to get it together in a couple and update. 

1624962954_HydroPlateRepair1.jpg.5722042471d5fc98f9c6e341a18f8734.jpg402273352_HydroPlateRepair2.jpg.6ca8b1505e06e199a5fbbbb7db0b8d95.jpg1207817600_HydroPlateRepair3.jpg.df3a844d8c449124b7dfdcc49f054390.jpg1555197146_HydroPlateRepair4.jpg.2a91303c46dc032f7a53d847dc13619d.jpg1896216919_TransmissionGearingPic1.jpg.7a493f38bd14e4576faa08c3c23900f9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

That sure looks stout!  Great repair job!

• Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Great weld job.And......no where near the cost of the new part worth of welding rods and your time.Keep those sparks flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor

Common for parts that fit discontinued equipment to rise in price as they age. Also check the filter/strainer for the hydraulic steering seeing as it is a 522xi. That will affect flow. It is a shame that owners neglect the maintenance that could increase the equipment's life span.

My former 520xi had an original owner that would bring it to the dealer annually to clean out grass clippings from the previous season. She was pretty neglectful - but provided his shop with employment! When she traded it in, the deck shell was completely rusted and spindles shot but the tractor although looking tired was actually in decent condition after a bit of cleaning, adjusting, and lubricating.

• Like 1

JoeM
On 9/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, shallowwatersailor said:

filter/strainer for the hydraulic steering

Yes definitively got to check.

I kind of bought this one on the Web from the pics and may have paid a little to much. When I picked up the machine I knew why it was having most of the hydro issues. The guy was cutting 2 acres of extreme hillside with apple trees strewn along the way. He owned the machine from new. He had got a Steiner as a replacement.  

That hill and not cleaning that pump area was the machines demise. Although the engine sounds and runs great. 

WHX??
26 minutes ago, JoeM said:

may have paid a little to much.

Not alone there Joe.