Sparky180

New to me D180

Sparky180
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Axle seals are SKF 11124  PM your address I will send you the 6 O rings you need for the manifold to hydro motor and a sealing washer.  Pulling D series hubs is NOT a fun project....

How I did mine

IMG_3209.JPG

Thank you!! Address sent. Yes sir that is a beefy pulling set up. Do you happen to know where I can buy the internal filter?

Sparky180

Ok. New set back. Tonight after cleaning the cases I discovered the dreaded case cracks from where the bolt got wedged under the differential. Luckily only one side is cracked. I've looked everywhere and can't locate used cases...so - braze, tig, other ideas. Anyone have a set to sell?spacer.pngspacer.png

20210202_182244.jpg

20210202_182248.jpg

Edited by Sparky180

pfrederi

Did you try AtoZ tractor...

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
12 hours ago, Sparky180 said:

Ok. New set back. Tonight after cleaning the cases I discovered the dreaded case cracks from where the bolt got wedged under the differential. Luckily only one side is cracked. I've looked everywhere and can't locate used cases...so - braze, tig, other ideas. Anyone have a set to sell?spacer.pngspacer.png

20210202_182244.jpg

Sorry to here this, but it ain't that much dammage.

Have had a blow gear in a tecumsh lawn mower transmission made out of alloy, blew out half of the under transmission case.

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

There is an old repair shop near me and the guy uses his wire welder on cast iron.  He grinds the crack out and welds it back in short weld passes so as not to put much heat into part. He claims it works as good or better than the typical preheating  and brazing or using Nickle rods then doing something to cool it slowly.   

• Thanks 1

Sparky180
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Did you try AtoZ tractor...

Pfrederi. I will use them for anything I need from now on! Thanks for reminding me. They had two in stock and I have one on the way now! Very knowledgeable and great to talk to on the phone. Plus they will cross reference other comparable models for you. Thank you!! Next question is how can I remove the axle needle bearings for reuse? There isn't any way to press them out from the back side due to sitting in a counter bore?

Edited by Sparky180

pfrederi
35 minutes ago, Sparky180 said:

Pfrederi. I will use them for anything I need from now on! Thanks for reminding me. They had two in stock and I have one on the way now! Very knowledgeable and great to talk to on the phone. Plus they will cross reference other comparable models for you. Thank you!! Next question is how can I remove the axle needle bearings for reuse? There isn't any way to press them out from the back side due to sitting in a counter bore?

You can drive then out from the inside.  At about $7 I would replace them

RandyLittrell

Welcome to the forum neighbor!! I live down the road in Harrisonville. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice find on the D180!! 

Randy

• Thanks 1

Sparky180
3 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Welcome to the forum neighbor!! I live down the road in Harrisonville. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice find on the D180!! 

Randy

Thanks. I can't wait to get this together and restored. Ive been bit by the old GT bug now. Im on the watch now for attachments for the D series. Really wanting the tiller or find a reducer box for it so I can drive typical 540 attachments on it. What model do you have?

RandyLittrell
13 minutes ago, Sparky180 said:

Thanks. I can't wait to get this together and restored. Ive been bit by the old GT bug now. Im on the watch now for attachments for the D series. Really wanting the tiller or find a reducer box for it so I can drive typical 540 attachments on it. What model do you have?

I have a 310-8, C-120, 401 Suburban, 1277 with a loader and a GT-14. Loader and 310 are only thing running right now and the others are projects.

Sparky180

Update and finished restoration....FINALLY. After a long time it is finally finished and runs like a dream! I sanded and painted the entire thing. Rewired it and installed new decals. Rebuild the transmission and carb- split transmission without pulling hubs FYI. I had to hand stitch a new seat cover for it. LOTS OF WORK but totally worth it. Just waiting on the fuel cap to show in the mail. Lol I am now looking for a loader, tiller and 3 point finish mower. 

20210920_173917~2.jpg

20210920_173951~2.jpg

20210920_173959~2.jpg

20210920_174011_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

:bow-blue:

• Like 1

kpinnc
2 hours ago, Sparky180 said:

I had to hand stitch a new seat cover for it.

Now that is what I call a thorough job!

Big ole D looks great! :thumbs:

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Excellent

• Like 1