Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsecravins

engine trobleshooting

wheelhorsecravins

:omg: :drool: the engine runs great at 1st. start up and after 2-4 mins. it dies out and will only run with choke on, and runs ruff, I changed head gasket, carb manifold gasket, and tryed another coil?????? I am stumped any help would be much aprecated. mike p s its a 8 hp kohler k181s on a wheelhorse 857 mike :drool:

Confused99

Pull the fuel filter and blow through it. I have had that bite me more than one time.

Worth a shot.

Jason

Brian1045

I'd also try spraying some Wd-40 or Carb cleaner around the carb while it is running. Try not to spray it into the carb intake. See if it bogs down while spraying all around it. If it does then your're sucking air somewhere.

Mine was doing that and it was the bushing for main shaft on my carb.

Worth a shot anyways! :omg:

gwgdog66

I've had hairline cracks in the spak plug ceramic insulator cause simular problems. I didn' notice it until one evening, when i seeen a blue streak jumping around under the hood whilst it was iddling

Duff

I'm with Jason on this one- fuel filter or some crud in the fuel line somewhere. If it starts and runs for a couple of minutes before acting up and then only runs with a full choke, it seems there's a fuel supply problem. Enough gas is getting through when it's sitting to build up some reserve, then when that runs out the choke has to take over and help pull more fuel in. Just my take on it..... :drool:

Duff :omg:

igota310-8

Had the same issue on my 310-8.

Emptied all the fuel, disconnected the fuel line at Carb and Tank, blew some Compressed air thru it, Installed a Fuel Filter and all is good now.

Cleaned out the Carb while at it too, of course.

Eric

W9JAB

:omg: Honda engines have a filter cup that sits on the rim of the fuel cap ring, 9 out ten times it falls into the tank, the suction of the fuel brings this filter over to the intake and shuts down the motor. Now the reason I bring up the Honda story is that I have found other fiendish thingy's in a gas tank that did the same thing.

wheelhorsecravins

:omg: to all replys I will try all till I get it right, btw tractor jim is my brother, thanks mike