Jon D

520h dash lights

Jon D

What would cause all my dash lights to be lit at once and the oil pressure flashing? If I turn the headlights on and off, the lights usually go out. 

gwest_ca

What is the model number of your tractor?

Garry

Jon D
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

What is the model number of your tractor?

Garry

520h, I have it in the title

gwest_ca

520-H is the model name. There are 18 different models/years of them.

I wanted to look at the correct wiring diagrams for you tractor that is determined by the long model number and serial number.

It is usually below the left side of the seat on the rear fender pan.

They are not all the same.

Garry

Jon D

I know mine is a 1996, not sure of the actual number and I’m at work atm. I can look tonight 

DougC

I would start out by giving Garry  the  info he needs to help you solve your problem. 

Without any further knowledge I would say it is a ground problem and to start checking continuity  to ground at frame and battery contacts.

Jon D

Model 73502

serial 6900911

gwest_ca
On 9/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, Jon D said:

What would cause all my dash lights to be lit at once and the oil pressure flashing? If I turn the headlights on and off, the lights usually go out. 

The initial dash bulbs on and the oil light flashing is the bulb check.

If you wait long enough do they always go out?

My first thought was grounds also and it could be. The timer module may be slow to respond because of poor connections.

Don't see where the headlamps and dash lights have anything in common other than grounds and power supply.

Garry

1996 520-h dash lights module.jpg

Jon D

No, they stay on while mowing. Could the module be bad and just the initial voltage drop from turning headlights on be enough to stop the timer?  

Jon D

I looked at the wiring diagram and I see the only ground for the module runs through multiple gauges before making ground connection. My thought is to run a dedicated ground from the module.  Also the module gets a signal from the start on the key switch, maybe pull the ignition switch and test connections?

gwest_ca

Sorry not familiar with this model. Never seen one.

I doubt the headlamp load drops the voltage enough. If that is what is happening the greater starter load should do the same.

I am more inclined to think the module turns the lights off rather than on.

Since the headlamp switch is in the dash lamp housing perhaps switching the lights on disturbs the physical module connection.

If you push on the housing rather than the switch does it work?

You can test everything without the engine running - just the key on. Use a jumper to temporarily supplement the grounds that are there. Twist push and pull to see if something affects it.

Cleaning up the wire connections may be the solution as the module does work. Applying dielectric silicone grease to the connectors after cleaning will preserve their integrity.

Garry

Jon D

Cleaned all connections and dielectric grease, still the same. If I remember correctly, the lights are supposed to stay on for 2 sec after it starts. There is a trigger wire for the start position on the key switch. The ignition power wire to the module has full power and I added another ground directly to the battery.  I’m Starting to lean towards the timer circuit in the module being bad. No way to get a good look at or bypass it because the whole module is potted

Jon D

I’ve got an update, got a used dash module and installed it. Now the lights all go off after the key is on for a few seconds. 

lynnmor

Thanks for the update.  I didn't respond previously because it did sound like you had a good idea what the problem was.

• Like 1