Sign in to follow this  
bell

Finally got an RJ!!!

bell

I traded my 876 grasscutter for this RJ. It has a Clinton engine, the transmission has been fully rebuilt and it is just NICE... It runs like a clock and the transmission is the quietest I've heard.

The recoil broke, just after we got it unloaded... but something didn't feel right with it anyhow... And, I'm pretty sure it was cobbled together. I'll take some better pics of it when my daughter gets back from her field trip... she has the camera.

Any idea on the year? I'm GUESSING '58 or '59...

Here's some cell phone pics until I can take some better ones...

0515091228.jpg

0515091230.jpg

0515091232.jpg

Bow_Extreme

Very Nice!! :omg: Can I have it?......... :drool:

bo dawg

Beautiful girl :omg: looks like she's a keeper not sure about the year. :drool:

Kelly

I'm with you 58 or 59, but I think that belt guard is 58 but I'm probably wrong

CasualObserver

Nice tractor there Jon! What is that 4 this week?

I'm pretty sure there is no way to distinguish a 58 vs a 59 other than the serial number. (Per previous discussions... 20,000 RJs made in 1958 and 2500 RJs made in 1959) That belt guard is from a Suburban, the RJ should have the narrower warped oval looking one.

bell

Cool! Thanks fellas!

I just talked to they guy I got it from again... It's a '58. I was too busy drooling before and didn't listen to him I guess.... All I heard was, "bla, bla, bla, RJ, bla...." LOL.

I'm not sure what number this is, this week.... I lost count. :drool:

I have now evicted all square hoods from the herd... Except for the 1045 and I think I'll keep that one... :drool:

I thought the belt guard was wrong... I needed one for one of my Suburbans anyhow. I wonder if the guy on ebay is still re-producing them. Haven't seen them on there for awhile. :omg:

evanloock

May have the CC-60 clutch conversion or someone could have just replaced those parts. The CC-60 conversion was required in order to use a WT-30 tiller. This converted the RJ clutch setup to the 1960 Suburban clutch. However the belt guard looks like it is the narrow version from the 551. I am not sure what belt guard came with the CC-60, but I would assume it was the wider one used on the 3-piece trannys; i.e. 400/550/401. It also looks like you have the later hitch as was used on the 1960 tractors. Possibility that this is a 59 tractor. If it had the solid pan seat I would be more confident in that assertion. Regardless it is a nice tractor!

Eriks Red horse herd

Nice looking tractor Jon! If your looking for a guard theres a guy here in Michigan that has fiberglass 58,60&61 guards and he also does hoods. Very, very,very good reproductions even better than those steel repo's on ebay! He's a model maker by trade. I've been talking to him about coming to Charlotte in August for The tractor show and bringing his wears and also his restored ball burners. If you would like his number, PM me!

linen beige

May have the CC-60 clutch conversion or someone could have just replaced those parts. The CC-60 conversion was required in order to use a WT-30 tiller. This converted the RJ clutch setup to the 1960 Suburban clutch. However the belt guard looks like it is the narrow version from the 551. I am not sure what belt guard came with the CC-60, but I would assume it was the wider one used on the 3-piece trannys; i.e. 400/550/401. It also looks like you have the later hitch as was used on the 1960 tractors. Possibility that this is a 59 tractor. If it had the solid pan seat I would be more confident in that assertion. Regardless it is a nice tractor!

Eric you're a lot more knowlegeable about these than I but a couple of things come to my mind. The WT-30 came with a speed reducer that used it's own belt guard because of the large added pulley. I would think that if it had been changed to the '60 clutch in order to use a tiller the speed reducer would still be there?

The holes in the upper rear of the tranny side plates (for the AH-60), the hitch, and the angle of the brake band mounting tab make me suspect the tranny came from a 400, 550, or 401. That would help explain the belt guard and clutch.

But it is a nice looking tractor Jon! Did ya ****** this one up on yer lunch break? :omg:

evanloock

Regardless of whether the speed reduction mechanism was present, the CC-60 conversion would have to be in place for the WT-30. The entire rear end may have come from a 400/550/401. The holes in the top of the end plates were added in 1960 for the tow hitch as the slot hitch was used to raise/lower the RMR-32 mower deck. As I stated previously, I am not convinced this is a 1959 tractor. However I played the role of "devil's advocate" in the possible explanation of the equipment on this particular tractor.

The gentleman in Sea Bright, NJ I bought my RJ (serial 3796) from had a RJ serial 21000 or so that I helped him sell to another collector. Wish I knew where it went. A closer observation of this 1959 RJ would be valuable. I think it went to Bob Taylor, but I am not certain.

tgranthamfd

Is a very nice looking tractor, reguardless of the year, :omg:

linen beige

Regardless of whether the speed reduction mechanism was present, the CC-60 conversion would have to be in place for the WT-30.

Eric, you are a gold mine of info on the early 'Horses! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Just out of curiousity, excluding the use of a WT-30 would there be any other reasons to use the CC-60? Any other, post '59 attachments that wouldn't work on the RJs without the conversion? :omg:

I realize the conversion could have been done in order to use a tiller and the speed reducer not used, but I just wondered if there were any other uses for the conversion.

evanloock

Only attachment that required the conversion was the WT-30.

Interesting that in one of the early brochures it shows a WT-30 WITHOUT and engine. Wonder how well that worked?

I have a WT-30. One of the many projects waiting on me.

clintonnut

Join My Site!!!

Look at my signature.

I can help you with the recoil starter.

Charlie

bell

Charlie, I already did... Just haven't had time to get on there yet. I go back to work Monday, so I'll be posting up!!! I knew you were the one I needed to talk to about it! :omg:

taycotrains

The gentleman in Sea Bright, NJ I bought my RJ (serial 3796) from had a RJ serial 21000 or so that I helped him sell to another collector. Wish I knew where it went. A closer observation of this 1959 RJ would be valuable. I think it went to Bob Taylor, but I am not certain.

Yes that was me...I still have that machine.

BT

Olratlr

It sure is purrrty send it on down to VA. :omg:

HorseFixer

:drool: Somebody pinch me I think Im having another STROKE Cause drools running down my chin!!! :( Oh wait that was last week :omg: Anyways Jon thats another good looker she's a keeper! :drool:

bell

Thanks fellas!!!

I've decided that she's going to the show with me... I've got some work to do though...

The wheels were not done near as good as the rest of the tractor and they are OMG WHITE... I'm going to blast them and give them some linen beige. Also, I have a really nice pair of WH branded "super lug" AG tires to put on the rear. I ordered a pair of 3-rib 4.00-8's for the Suburban 8-speed, but I think they might find their way on the RJ. :omg:

And, lastly... the seat. I'll either be re-painting it or ordering one of the red and white covers off of e-bay... maybe both.

clintonnut

If those goodyear tires on the front are getting replaced I'd happily take them off your hands.

Charlie

bell

Any chance you have a GOOD recoil starter for mine? (or the parts to fix mine?) maybe we can work out a trade? They've got a bit of weather checking, but they're pretty decent.

linen beige

The Wheel Horse branded tires might make a nice touch but they weren't used on the RJs originally. It would have had Goodrich, Good Year, or Generals.

bell

I'm not too worried about keeping it TOTALLY original... Thanks for the info though. :omg:

All I know is that the tires that are on it now are badly weathered and need replaced.