Sign in to follow this  
tgordonjr

Drive belt tension sping

tgordonjr

well I finally got the 211-5 torn down everything except the steering wheel and motor, and I was in the process of adjusting things (brakes, steering) and I went to move the belt tension spring into a different hole when the back of the spring came loose. :omg: The problem now is that I have no clue where it goes, I ve looked everywhere underneath the tractor and dont know what holds the spring in place. Help please.... :drool:

tgordonjr

Is there anything that I should add to make this more understandable? I am not sure if i didnt explain it right... I was looking at it today and that is a big hole in the frame where the fender and seat would go, you can see a big pulley through it (maybe the drive belt pulley :omg: ) anyway I wasnt sure if maybe the spring goes to that hole or if there is a specific spot for it.

Sparky

Have you tried entering your model # into the TORO master parts viewer to see if it shows the spring and its placement? Ususlly its an exploded view of the tractor but it may give you a clue.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm

Mike..........

tgordonjr

Hey Mike, I tried what you said and it worked, however I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction:

what I need is under brake and clutch linkage and is # 17 it says it connects to transmission brake lever :omg:

model # 32-11bx01

thank you so much for this site it will help me like you couldnt believe.

Terry..

TT

I think this is what you're seeking:

boing.jpg

tgordonjr

great!!! thank you. :omg:

tgordonjr

are all 3 springs to go in the that hole? #18 says its to go to frame opening which I am assuming is on the LH side, but # 18 on mine it is on the tranny arm, also #36 on the tranny page say it is to go to a frame opening but on mine it is on the tranny arm. should I go by what toro says or leave it, I just dont know I didnt see where the other end of the spring was before it came lose. So as of now if I do what toro is saying about the drive belt spring all 3 would be connected to the tranny/brake arm????

TT

boing2.jpg

#17 spring attaches to the "clutch" (tensioner) idler bracket and hooks to the brake arm. ("painted" yellow in the first IPL I posted) It activates the brake when the clutch/brake pedal is depressed far enough. A spring is used in this position to compensate for the variation in distance between the clutch idler bracket and the brake arm. It is also a buffer or shock absorber that keeps the brake caliper from being ripped off the side of the aluminum transaxle if the brake pedal is "stomped" down with excessive force.

#18 spring is the belt tension spring (self-explanatory) and hooks between the clutch idler bracket (#8) and the frame. It tightens the belt when the clutch pedal is released.

#36 spring in the first picture hooks to the brake arm on the transaxle (usually in the same hole as spring #17) and is pulled rearward and hooked to the frame. This is a return spring that ensures that the brake is released while operating the tractor.

tgordonjr

ok, sorry for late posts I am working on it right now, I dont know if someone worked on it before because there is only one spring #36 which is where toro says it should be, # 18 and 17 are both connected to # 8 and the tranny brake arm which you highlighted in yellow for me. Sorry to ask so much but this is the first time i have done this and want it right. If # 18 is supposed to go to a frame opening is it the same as # 36. I will take pics of what I end up with and get them up tomorrow(try to anyway)

TT I see that you are also in pa is it in the area of reading?? :omg:

TT

I no longer have the 210-5 that was once here, but I believe #18 spring attaches to the idler pulley bracket at the front and (I think) to the edge of the large hole in the frame above the transaxle.

#17 spring actually takes the place of the solid rods that were used on the older models. It hooks between the idler pulley bracket and the brake arm on the side of the transaxle. (pulls forward when the clutch/brake pedal is depressed)

#36 spring hooks to the same place as #17 but pulls rearward. I think it fastens to a hole in the very back of the frame. Theoretically, all this spring does is keep the brake pads from dragging on the disc when you are driving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nope - I'm not close to Reading. I'm actually in the center of PA, near State College. :omg:

tgordonjr

well thank you TT I will put your advise to good use hopefully :drool: sorry for the late response have been on vacation and busy with the house. Thank you :omg: