Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Fixing bent disks?

Prater

Its not a Wheel Horse, but belongs to a friend. He said I could use it if I fix the disks. Anyone have some pointers to repairing these without buying new ones?

Thanks

IMG_1562.jpg

igota310-8

Not really knowing exactly what kind of steel they are ( assume they are something somewhat soft tho) I would Try first with a press, or sandwich them between some hardwood and Jump on them a bit if you dont have a press.

Then just hammer them out with a blacksmiths hammer and anvil.

Eric

kpinnc

You could take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with concrete, and use one of the good disks to form a dome on top. Let it cure, and use it as a form for the others AFTER you get the worst of the bends out.

May or may not work, but a bag of concrete is about 3 bucks...

Good luck!

igota310-8

You could take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with concrete, and use one of the good disks to form a dome on top. Let it cure, and use it as a form for the others AFTER you get the worst of the bends out.

May or may not work, but a bag of concrete is about 3 bucks...

Good luck!

Excellent Idea, now if you added a threaded rod to the center of the Concrete you could just add some washers and a nut and "Press" the bent disk in to shape, maybe even gently heat it.

:omg:

Jim_M

You can pick up new ones pretty reasonably at TSC or Rural King. TSC may not have them on the shelf but they'll order them for you.

Sarge

Please, if you use the concrete method (good idea, btw...) DO NOT heat the steel against the concrete-exploding rocks are not only hot but can hurt a lot -trust me.

Sarge

Coadster32
exploding rocks
Never heard of that before. :omg: Please, do tell.

Sarge

Try cutting some thick steel with a torch once, just the drippings of molten metal will cause the voids/air pockets in concrete to explode, sometimes quite violently. I've seen welding shops with large pockets blown out of the floor , done it myself a time or two...

Sarge

jusjeepn

Steven, i just picked up a Brinly disc that had the same problem! I removed the damaged disc tonight and put it in the vice to tweek it a little and used a 6lb hammer and anvil to straighten the rest. A little massaging with a flapper wheel and you can't tell it was ever bent. I just used the concrete floor to tell me when the cutting edge was flat and true. Took about 15 min. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! :omg:

KyBlue

Pat , your taking those insurance commercials to heart...lol

Prater

Anyone know who made this disk? It has a either a B-181 or D-181 cast into the spindle.

Jim_M

It looks like a Brinly to me.

jusjeepn

Definitely Brinly! Identical to mine which still has the Brinly stickers on it including the serial no#

jusjeepn

Here's mine after a face lift!

028.jpg

029.jpg

Here's the decals that are/were on it! I'm having new ones made!

024.jpg

027.jpg

bell

That looks GREAT Pat!!! NICE JOB! :omg:

d180man

Hi i think they just sold some on ebay but yes our tsc sead they could get them ? but i never orded them! you just have to check with them and you may wount to look on ebay! :omg: