71_Bronco

What Grease Guns Are You Guys Using?

71_Bronco

In the market for a new grease gun. In the past I've used the lever pump style with a rigid style tube.

Was looking at the Lincon 1134, with the single-hand pump and the flexible style tube.

I've also read good things about the Lock-N-Lube grease guns, but some people think the locking coupler is more of a gimmik than a feature.

Not looking for a power or air version.

Stepney

I got fed up with every grease gun I owned inevitably leaking past the pressure ring and making a mess. I found an old brass Lukenheimer grease gun. Screw down type. No pressure remains on the grease when idle, and it never leaks.. Im not sure if they still make a gun like that. 

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Stepney said:

Lukenheimer grease gun

Hadn't heard of a screw type grease gun before. 

I've had 3 or 4 inexpensive but decent lever style guns over the years. 

ALL of them leak/leaked. 

I read where folks use a PVC tube with a capped bottom as a home made holder. Also an old tube sock as a fluid seepage catch. 

Mikey the Monkey

DeWalt cordless are awesome. 

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

DeWalt cordless are awesome. 

I got an 18V with the Lock n Lube end. Works great! :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

bottjernat1

Here is what i have been using for around 10 years now. It was a different brand name when i bought mine. same basic one tho. I love it. image.png.a52abd1276ad635da2aa10b1d9297cdc.png

tom2p

I must have a good grease gun because it works well and does not leak ... if it does leak might be a small amount because I don't notice it

i will need to get a better look at it and check for identifying name or brand 

but I hate loading a grease gun because it's always a messy process 

prefer to use a fixed / rigid tube - but it can be a challenge (next to impossible) to reach the mower deck middle spindle grease fitting on a 300-500 series - so I use a gun with a flexible tube 

I like the small grease guns with the small cartridges - but they require too many refills for a Wheel Horse tractor that can consume a lot of grease ... especially the mower deck wheels  

I typically / primarily use Lucas Red n Tacky grease ... and also sometimes will use Bel Ray water proof / marine grease or Lucas water proof  / marine grease 

Lucas Red n Tacky grease is good stuff 

Edited by tom2p

Stepney
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hadn't heard of a screw type grease gun before. 

I've had 3 or 4 inexpensive but decent lever style guns over the years. 

ALL of them leak/leaked. 

I read where folks use a PVC tube with a capped bottom as a home made holder. Also an old tube sock as a fluid seepage catch. 

Borrowed pic off the net but mine is almost exactly like this. I only load up my Lincoln unit if I need to do a lot in one day. This seems to store better. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 10.25.25 AM.png

• Like 2

C-85

I use a Milwaukee 12v grease gun, but I have an advantage, my son works for Milwaukee Tools as an mechanical engineer in their new products division.  These things are awesome!  With my old lever type guns it almost takes 3 hands to make them work, so this helps, one hand on the trigger and the other on the hose.  I probably wouldn't have needed it for my W/Hs, but it's super handy for my big truck, that machine has a lot of fittings and can give me fits! :angry-tappingfoot:

C-85

image.png.b28071be0ca63cd2dbfdeb6f9359ffb3.png1768754963_M35atAllenHallshouse16-15-19.jpg.4eb7e69326e2aeb4756bb2f02b695a5b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

dodge78

I have found the best way to store a grease gun is with the hose hanging down.  Gravity keeps the grease at the working end it leaks less

• Like 1

gt14rider

Haven't found a leak less grease gun, but this accessory kit works well, 

20200905_104548.jpg

20200905_104613.jpg

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
On 8/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, C-85 said:

I use a Milwaukee 12v grease gun, but I have an advantage, my son works for Milwaukee Tools as an mechanical engineer in their new products division.  These things are awesome!  With my old lever type guns it almost takes 3 hands to make them work, so this helps, one hand on the trigger and the other on the hose.  I probably wouldn't have needed it for my W/Hs, but it's super handy for my big truck, that machine has a lot of fittings and can give me fits! :angry-tappingfoot:

C-85

image.png.b28071be0ca63cd2dbfdeb6f9359ffb3.png1768754963_M35atAllenHallshouse16-15-19.jpg.4eb7e69326e2aeb4756bb2f02b695a5b.jpg

We have three of these on my ship that we use to grease all the winches, life boat davits and fire flaps - what an awesome time and hassle saving device. The refill cartridges make that job relatively mess free and even the less adept of my crew mates has so far failed to break them - and some of those guys shouldn't be allowed to touch tools!