Ed Fox

36" rear discharge deck 314-8

Ed Fox

Hello, I recently purchased a late 80s 314-8 with a 36" rear discharge. The deck is super noisy and a brief inspection I see the drive pulley on the deck is wobbling. Bolt is tight so I'm going to assume its been ran that way for a while and the ID of the pulley is worn along with the shaft of the spindle itself. I'm having trouble on the Toro website finding the correct manual or I think I am anyway. Can any one here connect me to the correct manual?  I really appreciate it. This site has been extremely invaluable to me with a few issues that I have had. I also recently purchased a C-125 and this gets me up to three. :)

Kindest regards

Ed

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

sounds a little like a bearing might be gone or going out one. The bearings you can get on fleabay as well as the pulley

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

peter lena

probably plan on all the bearings, # 6203 double seal , pick up a six pack , top seal # 473380 ,3 of those, i remove the lower inside spindle side seal and hand pack with lucas red and tacky grease, then i also fill the spindle with the same grease , for smooth/ silent running , with a high 550 drop point , for no failures. deck rebuilding can be intimidating , but they are really not difficult to do . just go to each area separately, helps if you have a hand press  for bearing and seal replacement. lots of referral on decks here, for pictures and how to . i would swap that deck with another one that you might have , just to see how the pto drive system works, that would also verify that part of your deck operation.  let us know , pete   

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

probably plan on all the bearings, # 6203 double seal , pick up a six pack , top seal # 473380 ,3 of those, i remove the lower inside spindle side seal and hand pack with lucas red and tacky grease, then i also fill the spindle with the same grease , for smooth/ silent running , with a high 550 drop point , for no failures. deck rebuilding can be intimidating , but they are really not difficult to do . just go to each area separately, helps if you have a hand press  for bearing and seal replacement. lots of referral on decks here, for pictures and how to . i would swap that deck with another one that you might have , just to see how the pto drive system works, that would also verify that part of your deck operation.  let us know , pete   

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Ed Fox

Thank you everyone.Ill pull that deck off today and let you know. I have the shop tools, arbor presses etc.  Thank you or the bearing numbers, I have factory direct access to the bearings and it will be much less then what they wanted.

• Like 1

Ed Fox

Ok, I took it off and partially apart. I'm a little confused of what I see on my deck and what I'm seeing on the parts drawings. I did do a search on the site and I found a link where the deck looks like the one that I have. The pdfs linked to this thread look a little different. The ends of the shafts on mine are keyed, there is a bolt that holds the pulleys in place rather then a nut and the blades are keyed to the bottom of the shaft.

This is the one I found.  Is the deck just older then my late 80s 314 that its on?

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Mowers/Mower_Rotary_36in_RD_1969_5-7365_26_1970_5-7366.pdf

Thanks

Ed