Vurge

New owner of C-121!

Vurge

Hauled it home yesterday but didn't get a chance to do much until this evening.  The machine itself seems pretty complete except for the missing hitch.  I did an engine oil change before starting it up. The stuff that came out was BLACK!   For good news, the transmission oil on the dipstick was clean.  Engine starts and deck spins up nice and smooth.  

Now the bad news:

1.  Engine doesn't want to run at less than half throttle. 

2.  The exhaust manifold and muffler seems hotter than it should be, but I've no experience to back that up.  

3.  Clutch pedal doesn't move more than an inch. The belt never fully stops.  I had to cringe when then seller ground the gears during the demo. 

I've got the manual and plan on adjusting the carb and clutch.  Hopefully that'll resolve the above because I'm not good for much more than that! 

15970343124890.jpg

• Like 5

8ntruck

Looks like you picked up a good looking machine.

I'm going to guess that a carb rebuild will solve the won't run at less than 1/2 throttle issue.  Probably crud in the idle circuit, maybe a worn throttle shaft bore.  Both are easy fixes.  Both of these would cause the engine to run lean, which will result in hotter exhaust.  My 14-8 no name has not been idling well lately. I tweaked the idle screw a little richer today and appear to have solved that problem.

As for the clutch issue, check for proper belt routing and size.  There are usually belt guides inside the belt guard that support the belt when the clutch is depressed.  If those guides are missing or out of adjustment, the belt is not fully released from the drive pulley, causing the gears to grind when shifting.

Dig through the reference section here and you should be able to find a manual and proper belt sizes for your new toy.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Looks like a good solid tractor. 

A Kohler carb is a good easy one to clean out and rebuild so don't hesitate to do it. 

2 or 3 cans of brake clean, a gasket kit and some patience and you'll have a better running machine. 

The clutch pedal not working right will also be a bolt on type situation to make right. 

There are plenty of us to give advice and help when you get into that. 

If you don't know when the last time the belt was replaced is, I'd put a new one on. 

What's the missing hitch you refer to?

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Not a bad looking C-121.The others are right-on with cleaning and rebuilding the carb.Also,Eric is right about replacing the belt.Don't match what's on it now.Might not be the right one.Look up the right belt number.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

Vurge Like ever one else said just needs some tlc. Clean it up to see if you have any leaks. Enjoy the tractor.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Not many tractor service manuals were published but there was one covering the models at this time period.

Garry

Pullstart

Nice find!  A little tweaking and you’ll have it in tip top running order!

peter lena

vurge, looks like a good solid piece, that could use a complete verification of what you have , it would be not that difficult to unscrew all the metal tins off the frame , save for oil rub down to retain patina and stop rust. a thorough lubrication of chassis and fluid changes would be the way to go . that fuel system is undoubtedly dirty,  from tank to carb , a total flush out. that engine and rear end could also use a usage hot oil flush out, to get things operating smoothly , you could also add a couple ounces of zinc to the engine oil to enhance its running,   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rislone-Hy-per-Lube-Rislone-Zinc-ZDDP-Treatment-11-oz/52628126?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227047794170&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=146907668833&wl4=pla-260259418301&wl5=9003292&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=52628126&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4IrPg9CQ6wIVQY5bCh19bAysEAQYAiABEgKZyvD_BwE , i use this with great results , pete

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Nice Machine you find.

Give it a full Service ahead.

Change all oils, (gearoil and Engineoil) grease it up well and you‘re done the half Work.

It sounds the restriction of your Clutch will maybe cause just by few possibilities

1. a wrong Belt lenght, or maybe a too sharp brake Setup.

That will results you need more way to disengage, what is restricted with the Brakeband leveler.

2. A broken linkage but i don‘t believe that 

3. broken belt keeper underneath the Front of the beltcover.

• Like 1

Vurge

I can't wait to get some time to work on this!  Today was the kids first day of school and the wife and I are wiped out.  It's also 100+ degrees outside.  

Plan for this evening is to change the transmission fluid and try adjusting the carburetor.  Small steps!  This whole distance learning thing with the kids is going to take a big chunk out of my free time! 

@Garry - thanks for the electrical diagram.  I haven't even looked at the resources here for the C-121.  I actually forgot to mention that the seller inherited a service manual and a couple parts manuals with the tractor.   Might be useful to other members? 

15971059942060.jpg

• Like 2

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti: to    :rs:@Vurge    Enjoy your Wheelhorse, they are very addictive.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, JCM said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: to    :rs:@Vurge    Enjoy your Wheelhorse, they are very addictive.

Oh really Jim?

How many you got nowadays??

Huh?

:hide:

• Haha 1

Vurge

Uh oh.  Who guessed leaky axle seal?  That right tire and the whole right side of the transmission is covered in oil and dirt.  And there's that one drop after running in neutral and sitting overnight.  

I didn't bother changing the oil, just added about a 1/2 quart to see if it leaks anymore.   

Went out 2hrs later and theres another drop.  Took a pic of the underside and it's wet with oil.  I want to say it miay be leaking from the brake drum, but I'm not sure how the oil could travel to the opposite wheel! 

@ebinmaine -  I'm missing the actual hitch part that attaches to the axle.   At some point I think it was removed for a tiller attachment. 

@peter lena - I'm using diesel engine oil because I've been told it has more zinc and other additives good for older engines. 

15971188876660.jpg

15971305898410.jpg

Edited by Vurge
Added 2nd pic.
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

No worries. 

I've always been mechanically inclined but knew nothing about horses til about 4 years ago. 

Transmissions on these are incredibly easy to work on. 

You'll need to replace both rear wheel seals and it looks like the brake drum seal is leaking. 

Best bet is to buy a kit with all four (including input shaft seal) and replace the 4 for them. 

It can be done from the outside.

You do need to check up/down end play on the axles. If it's more than 1/16" or so the rear wheel bearings should be done. 

Your biggest challenge will be to remove the hubs. 

DO NOT use a 3 jaw puller. 

Get a bad hub from one of us or A to Z and set up a proper hub puller with long bolts or threaded rod. 

Easy to do. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Oh and the hitch is easy enough to replace and the great news is since yours is already out you won't need to fight it. 

I've got at least one spare here I'd give you a great deal on. 

953 nut
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Your biggest challenge will be to remove the hubs.

:WRS:                                Good news is if the oil eak has been going on for a while the hub may not be rusted in place. Here is a hub312204917_bottlejackhubpuller.JPG.eb2c40a0ae515437645a5fb02b37dcc2.JPG puller idea the works well.

• Thanks 1

Vurge

@ebinmaine - I'll likely hit you up for the hitch. Although this is intended to be a dedicated mower for now, I like to have the machine complete.  Who sells a set of all the seals?  I do have a NAPA nearby too. 

Well I took the time during the kids "recess" to jack up the back of C-121.  Very little play in the axles so that's good. The right wheel/hub isn't even tight and I can actually move it with just my hands!  Left side hub is buttoned down but also has oil on it so maybe it won't be rusted on. 

ebinmaine

You can get a complete set of seals from one of our own vendors. Wheel Horse Parts And More. Lowell and Joette are awesome people.

There is also a thread pinned at the top of the transmission section which gives a cross reference to the Napa numbers for all those seals.

When you get that loose hub taken off you will obviously want to check over the condition of it including the keyways in it and the axle.

Vurge

Thanks Eric.  I'll get some ordered. In the meantime, the C-121 goes under a tarp and the 606 gets some attention! 

• Like 1