Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

What did I just buy? Tecumseh H55 Hopefully

71_Bronco

Just picked this motor us for $80. I was told it is an H55. It has an aluminum block, and a mounting plate like my '62 Lawn Ranger has.

The gentleman I bought it from said he got it with a couple Suburbans he bought at one time. He sold the tractors, and this was left over on the shelf, with no home.

The exhaust port is pretty buggered up. There are thereds in it, but the pipe doesn't grab a thread until about 1/4 - 3/8 inch in. However, the 2 small threads next to the port are good, so i could use a bolt-on manifold instead.

Also, the recoil starter doesn't seem to work. You pull it, and it retracts, but it doesn't turn over the motor. Not sure if the paws are not extending or if there is something missing inside like the cup. Will have to do some investigating.

I didn't see a motor tag on it, but i didn't look very hard.

Any help would be much appreciated. I bought it for my '62 Lawn Ranger in case I wanted to bring it back closer to stock.

20200808_114506.jpg

20200808_114526.jpg

20200808_114533.jpg

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1

71_Bronco

I think I'm missing a part though, the arm that connects to the little do-hicky above the output shaft, and loops up to the side hole in the head. Not sure what that is for, governor maybe?

• Thanks 1

formariz

Sorry to inform you but that is not an H55. It is most likely an H50 or even an H60.  Judging by the fuel pump on it most likely a H60.The dead give away for an H55 is the fact that it has an internal oil pump. It is the only Tecumseh of that generation that has it.That is evident by the unusual large circular recess right under the shaft. It is about 2" in diameter and cannot be missed. You are also missing the rectifier board.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

pfrederi

That is the governor arm you are missing.  Techy #s are frequently just stamped into the air shroud.

formariz
11 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

I think I'm missing a part though, the arm that connects to the little do-hicky above the output shaft, and loops up to the side hole in the head. Not sure what that is for, governor maybe?

Correct the whole throttle and governor's assemblies are also missing.

71_Bronco

I looked over the fan shroud, didn't see any numbers. I did find 2 holes as if it has a data-plate riveted on.

Tractorhead

@71_Bronco it is the Govenour you missing.

Think it‘s a H 60 or a HH60 similar to mine.

You can seen the Governour on that Pict from my HH60

if needed i take tomorrow a closer Sideshot of the Engine with a bit more Details.

163E7786-4A1F-4DC8-BB55-6CA937FDE319.jpeg.ca3096abcfeb73370beafc8c92212c6c.jpeg

770418F3-D3D6-428E-9C4B-AD3DAE259102.jpeg.65aac8c4290f39bbb8f803df4169c2c1.jpeg

• Excellent 1

71_Bronco

Dang, what a bummer. Guess I should have done a little more research before jumping in.

Maybe I can steal some parts off the black motor on the tractor now. I'll have to see how this compares size-wise and see if this is smaller, since the black motor I have now doesn't fit under the hood.

WHNJ701

that's probably why it was on his shelf, the dude who bought the tractors didn't want the engine.

paint and detail the engine up real nice and stick it on your shelf if you can't find the parts, which I am sure you can

• Thanks 1

71_Bronco

Well poop. Looks like the black motor on my Lawn Ranger is the same thing. Perhaps a different vintage, but looks the same to me.

At least I have a parts motor for it, maybe bundle them together to sell if I cone across a true H55.

20200808_174933.jpg

20200808_174945.jpg

71_Bronco

Just thinking. Tractor data dot com lists the later Lawn Ranger as having an H60. Is it possible thats where this motor came from?

• Like 1

Tractorhead

I think you have a H60, because of the Fuelpump Attached to the Engine in Front.

Your Other( gray) shall be a H50 if i see it right or it‘s also a H50 the differences are small, 

but that‘s still nice Engines with a lot of Torque to in my humble Opinion.

I‘m fine with the Tecky‘s, like them more instead of Briggs Engines.

On your other grey Engine you can se a complete set of the Governor.

The Tuul Crib

So is the H model aluminum and the HH cast iron? 

• Thanks 1

71_Bronco
54 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

So is the H model aluminum and the HH cast iron? 

From what I've read, yes

pfrederi

Later model lawn Rangers had H60  but no fuel pump