Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

416 throttle issue,little help please

Hodge71

:omg: cut the grass today with the 96 416-H that i got on saturday, and i had a little issue with the throttle creeping down as i ran it. It eventually stops at about half throttle and she runs just fine there, plenty of power etc. even with really high grass. Onan sure has power but this throttle issue has me nixed. Is there an adjustment that i need to know about. My Dads 73 12 auto never did this and neither did my brothers C-195. So I was wondering if its a carb issue with the Onan carb or something simple. Everything with the linkage looks Ok so I'm kinda lost here .

Thanks in advance for the ideas,

Jeff

1996 416-H

48" deck

1997 44"2 stage snow blower(brandee new)

TT

I think you'll find it's the rivet in the throttle control lever.

If you can pull the control out of the dash and get it on something solid so you can peen the rivet to make it tighter it should take care of your problem. :omg:

(resist the temptation to oil the lever pivot - it will never hold it's position)

I ran my 416 for quite a while using a tarp strap ("bungee cord") to hold the throttle lever up - until I finally got it fixed. :drool:

Jim_M

Exactly like TT said, either peen the rivet or if you're lucky and you can get to it you can squeeze it with a pair of vise grips. I've had to repair the throttle on my 416 and all 3 520-H's that I've owned.

hodge

Mine creeped on the 520, and I was able to squeeze it with pliers. It worked great. Much easier than removing it.

Hodge71

:drool: Did the squeeze trick with the pliers. I was able to get a mbig pair of channel locks in there to get a good squeeze in. It worked, no more creeping throttle. Thanks Guys!!!

Jeff. :omg: