roy

418-A slowing down!

roy

Wheel Horse 418-A has been in the family since I can recall, I;ve been using her to cut my less than an acre for about 15 years,. no idea what year she is.

Anyway, lately, i've noticed her slowing down in forward , reverse is just fine & if I hit the brake the "handle" goes to neutral & she doesn't creep.

I do have the original manual but, it covers the basic stuff like- changing oil, etc. Nothing about how to adjust trans issues.

She has slowed down to a minor crawl in forward now, HELP!

Is there a downloadable manual for the 418-A??

Thanks all in advance

Roger- Ontario, Canada

gwest_ca

Your tractor is a 1987 model number 31-18KE01.

Since reverse works you may have a buildup of debris preventing the full travel of the linkage for the forward. I would pull the seat and fender pan off a do a cleanup. 

I am not a hyrdo guy so don't know if this is the best manual for you or not. There are others.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

• Like 2

roy

Thanks for the tip, I have cleaned out that whole area, it was quite full of debris. But, no joy with forward.

I can see the linkage & notice when I put lever in reverse that bolt/washer arrangement is fully against the end of the groove in that plate, now if I shift to full forward, that bolt/washer is not at the end of its travel, meaning I can see about an 1" or more of the groove in the plate, that is showing.  I'm assuming it should travel to the end of the grove in plate?

Maybe I should add a picture, if my explanation is lacking??

Roger

And, thanks for the File!!

Edited by roy

953 nut

There could be a build up of grass clippings and debris in the tunnel preventing the mechanism from going all the way forward. Pull the cover off the tunnel where the motion control lever is and clean the tunnel out. Never know how many nutshells and grass clippings could be piled up in there.  

lynnmor

Your linkage may be knackered, check and oil all joints.

roy

Looked like a Mouse nest in the tunnel!

Cleaned it out well,  Looks like the linkage isn't going the full distance in forward, I;m checking linkage/joints today, & Thanks for the tips,

Stay tuned

R

gwest_ca

A wild thought but check the 6" x 7" plate at the rear of the tractor frame where the transmission bolts to the tractor frame. Loose or missing bolts or a cracked mounting plate could affect the transmission linkage. I don't think it happens as often on the hydro models.

Garry

johnnymag3

What was the outcome with this linkage  debockle............:huh:

johnnymag3

Did you ever rectify this situation???

Burnerman

Pull back hard on your brake pedal. 

roy

Yes I did get her to go full forward, actually faster than ever !

In the tunnel, on the opposite side of the motion lever, the mechanism was jamming on what looked like a chestnut shell, I missed on the first cleanout.

Motion control lever now goes full travel & all is well, thank you for the file you posted Garry .

Now, I have to address why the big Kohler motor starts laboring when I get into longer grass, I have to increase throttle, never had to do this last season

One of my 4 sons hinted he thought it might be the governor, which he might have slightly adjusted, but, thinks he didn't really mess with it, Oh, I see.

Must be a "How to adjust the governor somewhere on here for the 418-A 18hp twin Kohler.

Cheers

Roy

Edited by roy
  • Like 1

pfrederi
11 hours ago, roy said:

Yes I did get her to go full forward, actually faster than ever !

In the tunnel, on the opposite side of the motion lever, the mechanism was jamming on what looked like a chestnut shell, I missed on the first cleanout.

Motion control lever now goes full travel & all is well, thank you for the file you posted Garry .

Now, I have to address why the big Kohler motor starts laboring when I get into longer grass, I have to increase throttle, never had to do this last season

One of my 4 sons hinted he thought it might be the governor, which he might have slightly adjusted, but, thinks he didn't really mess with it, Oh, I see.

Must be a "How to adjust the governor somewhere on here for the 418-A 18hp twin Kohler.

Cheers

Roy

Section 6 page 49